Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Lessons from the garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  11:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Found some time to work in the garden recently. And the garden being an allegory for spiritual cultivation stood out in a glaring sort of way. Thought I'd share..

In surveying the areas that needed tending, I noticed with a bit of dismay that the weed issue was denser than initially evident - thistle. This happy-looking invader had taken over large areas in all sizes - tall, mature plants with seed heads to young, delicate, sprouts growing shamelessly between and within lovingly planted flowers and shrubs. While these lovingly planted flowers and things need water, sunlight and fussing, the hardy thistle needs nothing. One seed blown innocently into even unprepared soil can (and does) take strong root and stay for the long haul.

As I got to work pulling and digging them out, I noticed two things: firstly, thistle needs to be tugged in the "just right" way - neither too hard nor too wimpy of an effort will do. Moreover, no matter how it is pulled out, it always "breaks" at the root, enough for it to grow back. Secondly, it is easier to uproot where it grows amidst ground cover and other "wanted" plants, and harder where it grows in clusters by itself. As expected, younger sprouts are easier to uproot than mature, pregnant ones.

How similar this is to spiritual cultivation! Vasanas are like thistle, and can and do take root easily. One wayward wind can blow a seed which can make itself quite at home. Sadhana is similar to those lovingly planted flowers and shrubs - vasanas are easier to uproot in the context of sadhana-related openings than without such cultivation. Vasanas cannot be eliminated by tugging too hard, they must be seen again and again and let go from the roots. Deep rooted vasanas (samskaras) are like thistle with seed heads - they sprout and give rise to many other "daughter" issues/vasanas. Ground cover is like the backdrop of inner silence - unobtrusive and yet splendidly grand in how it makes the whole bed come alive.

Simultaneously working on tending to shrubs and plants (sitting practices) plus weeding and replacing them with ground cover (inquiry and samyama) seem to be what is called for this summer..

Edited by - kami on Jun 06 2013 11:25:31 PM

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. It is such astute observations into the properties of the natural world around, between, and within us that allows for deeper insights to emerge. From one point of view they show up as abstract foreign concepts, but with continued attention and first-hand contact, the picture drops to become the effortless and self-evident way of being that has always been there - here. Balance, the properties and endless cycles of nature become allies into harmony when observed and respected, pointing to the way that can't be spoken, the path Yogani says is "written in the stars, and in our DNA." It holds they keys to the doorways of ever-greater self-understanding, and with that, a world of possibility that must have existed since the very beginning.

And so in the unpredictable waves of terrible yet wonder-filled longing a practitioner makes his way to his first twice-daily sitting, not-knowing, surely later to walk out to the world also not-knowing, but always patiently listening.

The great open sky, clouded over. Moments of near-absolute stillness of the wind on the leaves of trees. Words of Kami stirring something within.

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

And so in the unpredictable waves of terrible yet wonder-filled longing a practitioner makes his way to his first twice-daily sitting, not-knowing, surely later to walk out to the world also not-knowing, but always patiently listening.

Thank you, dear Aum.

Your words resonate here deeply. One thing I've been working with the last few weeks is what you describe above - to return again and again to not knowing. The "knowing" refers to what I "think" will happen in this moment based on past memories (conditioning) projecting into the future (anticipation). Plus, if we begin to see ourselves as "spiritual practitioners", there is a subtle expectation of what that looks like - blissed-out, calm, peaceful, etc etc.

The practice is to step back into the knowing awareness. Who knows the anticipation, the memories and the expectation? In that vast spaciousness of knowing awareness, each of these is seen to arise and fade - yet now me as the knowing awareness is neither projecting nor blissed-out, calm or peaceful. There is only the is-ness of the moment, of not knowing - wonder-filled, as you say so eloquently. This also takes trusting the moment to be completely perfect, no matter what arises...

Much love.

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is good to see that flow happening, or at least have it rise to a high enough level to suggest an experience with synchronicity. Reading your original topic and insights spontaneously called up some open sharing of what I've been encountering lately, which happens to relate to your current angle in self-inquiry. The other part of it about the longing relates to a topic I happen to come across by Shanti that has been helpful in learning to relate to it as it arises from practice. The difference here is the lack of an energetic component, and it also isn't persistent.

Your idea about trusting the moment is worthwhile to emphasize. Looking back, it is because of that growing trust in the flow that my approach has become less rigid and forceful, and the efforts have instead been about supporting and facilitating what's naturally present. This is true whether it is about processes in the subtle body, the stillness of meditation, or the way ordinary events take place. It isn't to say I understand it, much less to the point of surrendering to it, but it is a small step into this unknown. My mind can't pin it on a framework or model of general understanding. Such a step in a new direction is indeed small, but by comparison to my older view represents a big leap forward with less mental baggage and more intuitive spontaneity.

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000