Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Kirtan or Crazy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hezzy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  8:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have no yoga experience, but for a year now I have had a song stuck in my head. Just the first 4 notes of Mary had a little lamb, over and over. I find myself singing it all the time, silently and out loud. It is near-constant, sometimes subtle, sometimes not. I was doubting my sanity. Long story short, one day I was researching Alzheimer's prevention, as I have a strong family history and I worry about getting it. One day I ran across the Kirtan Kriya, Sa ta na ma. I am just a little freaked, it is my song, and the chills on the back of my neck, well, they are apparently kundalini. I think I need to pursue this, what next?

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 10 2013 8:35:21 PM

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  9:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hezzy,

have a look at the 'start lessons here' link on the left side of the page, under the Key Lessons heading in red.

and welcome to the AYP forums!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  9:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hezzy,

Nice to hear your story. It literally sent chills all over my back. I feel your desire for a path of devotion. Yoga is all about channeling such desire.

I think I found a web page similar to the one you found. They claim research support for preventing memory loss by doing a Kirtan Kriya technique: "It involves the repetition of four sounds — SA, TA, NA, MA. While saying the sounds, the person meditating also touches their thumb to their index finger, and middle, fourth, and fifth fingers. They perform it out loud for two minutes, in a whisper for two minutes, in silence for four minutes, a whisper for two more minutes, and out loud for two minutes."
http://www.kundalini-yoga-info.com/....UbZ84-eURa5

You are welcome to read about what we do in AYP meditation, of course. However, I can tell you that AYP yoga is very different from Kundalini Yoga as taught on the web page above. If you want a meditation that includes chanting the SA, TA, NA, MA sounds, and a meditation form that claims research support for its benefits in preventing memory loss, you may do will to stick within the "Kundalini Yoga" school of practice.

The choice is yours.

Be
Go to Top of Page

Hezzy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I guess this is for real. I will start the lessons. Thank you so much for the quick responses, I am a stay-at-home, which I prefer, but sometimes I think I spend too much time in my own head. Dare I ask if my invisible friends are possibly real too, as they did name themselves? Siddhartha, Eric the Red, and someone who looks like the actress Dianne Wiest but calls herself Lillith. I am a Christian, and I think this stuff is a a no-no. My sister fears for my soul, but Siddhartha has been with me since childhood and he never went son-of-sam on me; just "hugs" of a sort, if you can imagine that.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hezzy, have a look at a recent post by Mr Anderson regarding your last question. You will also find lesson 421 on this subject, which is listed directly under the main lessons link at the top of this page.

To add some background to the following, I don't have any first-hand experience with this, and the only time I've seen this in person was for someone in severe distress. Even then, it wasn't clear what the origin of the problem really was, or exactly how or to what extent it was resolved. What I am more certain about is my non-judgmental listening as a friend, combined with outside professional help, and the advice provided that is almost identical to the two links above, were effective.

Regarding your question about whether this is real or not, I see two sides to this. On the one hand, those more experienced, or perhaps those who are more vulnerable for whatever reason, have reported on visions, voices, and entities. From that point of view, some philosophical exploration and experiential dabbling for the sake of understanding may be inevitable for a limited time. Here it falls under what's called scenery, which is effects of practice that if pursued for their own sake end up adding unnecessary delays and maybe even detours on the path. On the other, it could well represent a health problem, and this falls outside the scope of yogic practice, and by default into the field of health care professionals, be it modern or alternative/holistic/traditional medicine. Of course, there are belief systems and traditions in which such experiences play an active role, but these have their own support network. If this latter is what is true to you, then you have a good idea who you can ask that question. Otherwise, the other two options should be fairly clear.
Go to Top of Page

Hezzy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that other post made a lot of sense, especially in terms of scenery. My choice is clear. I am.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000