Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Constant distractions and advice wanted?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astralprojectee

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  12:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I have been interested in the tantra way of doing things. But I have tinnitus and constant music of some sort playing in my mind. Both of them have been going on for years. It's rare that I don't hear music. Sometimes in the morning I don't have the music playing. The music is usually fine. I was just wondering if anyone has any comment on still being effective in meditation with such conditions?

BTW I am not a total newbie to meditation or spiritual things in general. I feel like I am very very slowly making steady progress. I have given up many times in my meditations. I'll do it for a while then stop, then go back. I will meditate intermittently in short periods throughout the day many times. And many times I will not. But I do still seem to be making slow but noticeable changes in my perceptions. Do any of you have some advice. Perhaps some of you have a similar condition that distracts you from meditation.

I have been experimenting and having some success with trying to do my stuff on the computer while also trying to meditate. And just be in presence while typing or whatever. It's probably even harder while reading. Anyway.....

I have been doing presence meditation a lot and have just finished the book. Desire: The Tantric Path to Awakening by Daniel Odier.

Advice and comments would be great. Peace.

Edited by - astralprojectee on Jun 11 2013 12:14:31 AM

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  06:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Hearing music is just something that your mind does. Just let it carry on in the background while you go about your daily activities and meditate.

I went through a stage where it was quite bad - any tune I heard would play in my mind on a loop, sometimes for days. But I found if I didn't focus on them and keep complaining to myself it made it easier.

Looking back I think I was doing too much at once. Self-pacing might be worth considering.

It soon disappeared once I stopped thinking that I needed total silence at all times: the paradox is you can't force your mind to be silent during activities, as you progress with meditation you will find the silence will be there during the day without any willing on your part. So just continue with your twice daily practise of DM and it will all sort itself out.

With tinnitus that could be due to meditation or not. I sometimes get it, but it's not really bad so it doesn't bother me. This could be from meditation, or it could be when I used to stand too close to speakers at gigs. That was stupid.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have that sometimes. I use to worry driving home and listening to the radio because the song would be stuck in my head. I forget who so forgive me, but someone on this forum mentioned a simple little trick that did work for me.

When you hear the music, don't fight it, just sing your own song. For instance I would sing Mary had a little lamb and then it went away.

Don't ask me why but this does seem to work. I hope it works for you also.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I have the music thing quite a lot during the day and also sometimes during meditation. In the day it doesn't bother me, I just go on doing what I do and it is sometimes there, sometimes fades away. In meditation I have that sometimes, and there are a few times where it is very hard to concentrate on doing the mantra because the music and mantra kinda clash together in my head, like different forces, but most of the times even if I have the music, it is in the background while I still repeat the mantra and it doesn't bother me, like it happens sometimes with streams of thoughts. When it is hard to concentrate I usually do the regular procedure of just watching it (not repeating mantra) for a while, or letting it play.. then when it is not very strong, back to mantra.

I would say, like woosa said, just keep going with the practice, if it is too hard don't push yourself, let it be easy, don't hurry with practices (as Yogani wisely says, it's a marathon not a sprint), you have all the time in the world to practice. Be easy with it, stop if/when you need to, and keep going, it will sort itself.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

astralprojectee

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  12:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot guys. I think once I go so far with my meditations the music should mostly stop throughout the day.

On a good note I noticed a pretty good gain in my ability to be present inside of my body. I think I am going to keep this gain, I'll see.

Peace.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000