AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Innocence and Simplicity of Hearts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  02:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste dear friends,

I've been talking a lot recently with friends on the spiritual path about the innocence and simplicity or naivite which were in our hearts when we first entered the path... We concluded that it got all mingled with "disciplines", spiritual concepts and experiences and teachings we've heard from this guru or that... Till the extent that spirituality became sort of a daily job for us. The disciplines which were done out of love at a certain time became dry and empty at others and they were done then out of habit... So we've decided to practice out of love. When love is in our heart we meditate or repeat the divine name with loving awareness... Spirituality, at least for me is all about love.

I was speaking with my teacher the other day about this subject and he replied: "There is nothing to worry about if you are a lover. The reality of existence is love."

He said it with such love and energetic presence that it was felt. I used to practice for many hours on end... On the pursuit of a goal... And I gained nothing but dryness out of this. I even pushed on in the dryness for several months... The results were more and more downfalling... It has all become too mechanical. There was no more love in it.

During these last couple of months, just repeating the name of the beloved or thinking of him for a few seconds gives me peace and joy more than these 10 hours a day of practice. Just quieting down and looking back at the looker for a few moments is enough to relax and be love.

The problem is that many of us forget the simple principles we learned when we first entered. The beautiful stuff that lead us to this world. For example: "What happened to "there is nothing but this present moment to enjoy." Really it's all we got. We should be happy in it if we can.

Making peace with the mind and accepting it with awareness. That's the door to the heart.

I wish a peaceful mind and a heart vibrant with love for all. Me included

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  02:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems less is more
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  02:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
namaste
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  04:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Salam Ananda,

yes you are right about it as we are liking a principle and just following it and then it becomes a habit..but it wont be of any help when any activity done out of love and compassion that alone can bring Eternal happiness/Peace:)

May All Attain Eternal Peace

Love n Light
Gayatri shiva
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  09:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mind over here too points out often enough about the dryness, routine, but this is just overlaying a deeper layer that it quite regularly gives way to, which contains at least in more subtle forms greater peace, freshness, even hints at energetic conductivity combined with a craving or pleasure from it, and then there's the bhakti that is greater in everyday life. Treating these as scenery as best as possible because minding them only engages the very subtle mind commentaries that at this stage blocks it all in unnecessary tension or resistance. So yes, as Maheswari reminds us, from practice I can see how doing too much can invite too much tension to minimize the deeper relaxation.

Peaceful mind and heart vibrating with love to you as well Ananda.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  10:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Viji and Aum, much love to you both
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Aum going to dry layers without any experience or anything that also happens as I am in that stage but I am trying not to panic and treat it as scenery too.But the thing is sometime mind things of I dont feel anything not even an energy moment and I also sometimes think may be Am I doing the practice machanicaly? without any attachment or too much attach to it..cann't guess but thats what happening now days but trying to keep up the practice..any help will be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many long term practitioners tell beginners like myself that routine is very important, so whether it feels mechanical and dry or there's a clear before and after positive effect in daily life it's comforting to know we're doing the best we can. On the occasion there are small sensations here and there in region of the head, so the practice still has got to have traction even if it feels numb otherwise. And then, there's the great feeling knowing you are doing something aimed at transcending the otherwise completely cyclical nature of just about everything else; I mean, even the mind finds that irresistible :)
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to speak like you dear Aum and for someone new i would agree... But in my case or in the case of someone going through too much hell bcz of the mechanical routine definitely i disagree.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  5:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I see what you're trying to say a bit better, and the feedback from those with more experience like yourself is appreciated. It gives a more accurate representation of the diversity of experiences with potentially valuable suggestions. One direct and related example is to make sure there's plenty of ongoing grounding throughout the day, since some really do run into serious overloads, and so emphasizing it early and way ahead of time might smooth the hypothetical curve that otherwise would be on too steep an incline to get enough of an early warning.

I don't even know what being ungrounded is really like, though it is true that since taking up meditation for the first time my ability to contemplate or be absorbed in almost anything has increased to the point of being oblivious to how much time I've spent doing any one thing without constantly looking at a watch; and this was even alongside practices that are considered grounding back then, so again, hard to tell.

In this example, I wonder if it may help in general to have more in-person contact and retreats with other practitioners combined with more gentle or moderate variations of the AYP routines. Don't mean to make this sound like everything's easy and entirely avoidable, or coming across as overly optimistic or enthusiastic (like in the honeymoon phase), but they are thoughts that go through my mind when taking and revisiting tips from practitioners and the lessons as the practice progresses even at micro levels.

Hope the difficulties you are encountering do work themselves out in some way or another.

Edited by - AumNaturel on May 09 2013 5:22:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When Buddha first embarked upon his spiritual quest, he practiced many austerities.
One day two musicians happened to pass by the tree under which he was sitting in meditation. One saying to the other, “Do not tighten the string of your sitar too much or they will snap. Do not to keep them too loose either as they will produce no music. Keep to the middle path.”
Those words hit Buddha with such a force that revolutionized his whole approach to spirituality. He was convinced they had been said for him. From that minute on he gave all his severities and began to follow a way that was easy and light, the way of moderation. In fact, his approach to enlightenment is called the Middle Path.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  11:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ananda,
Lately I've had some brief periods of "dryness" too, but not related to my practice itself; rather, I've been totally EXHAUSTED as a result of physical illness as well as dealing with various worldly considerations.

Like you, for me it's all about Love, and I find that during times of dryness - whatever the cause - thinking of the Beloved and repeating the Name never fails!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  12:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Allah
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  5:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having periods of dryness in my practices as well. It seems as if though the bhakti has vanished. Anyone know what I can do to bring it back? From experience, I know that inspiration/devotion/bhakti is really hard to cultivate externally.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  05:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The desire to bring it back is longing itself.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  12:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ak33

I'm having periods of dryness in my practices as well. It seems as if though the bhakti has vanished. Anyone know what I can do to bring it back? From experience, I know that inspiration/devotion/bhakti is really hard to cultivate externally.

so thinking of the Beloved and saying the Name/s doesn't work for you?
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  12:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

The desire to bring it back is longing itself.

true
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Radharani,
I agree to take the beloved name and chanting it does helps as I am doing that automatically if not anything else during dry periods.

Gayatri shiva
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear ones, just keep the connection with what is true. Yacin told us yesterday that sallat (prayer) in arabic means connection al sella with the divine. Prayer or dhikr according to each person's preferrence is connecting to the divine. Connection with spriritual brothers and sisters like we are doing here is prayer as well much love to you all. Another quote from sidi Yacin: my times are made divine just by seeing your names namaste
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this will sound kind of absurd but who's name do I say? I've never felt close to a specific god such as shiva or Krishna.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  3:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Best go with the Deity of the religion you were born in I suppose. It will feel more natural and easier to integrate... I am christian but an arab, God is Allah in arabic... I was raised to believe in jesus as Allah... I've chose Allah because it felt more univeral and all encompassing. Dig within, search within your heart to which name love rings the most... Allah be with you
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  12:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ak33

I know this will sound kind of absurd but who's name do I say? I've never felt close to a specific god such as shiva or Krishna.

Ah! No, it's not absurd at all.

Some recommend using the Name from the religious tradition in which you were raised - if any. However, some were raised without religion, and some of us were turned OFF by our religious traditions.

E.g., I attended fundamentalist Christian schools in my youth, as a result of which I become an atheist at age 12! Only much later, after many years of studying comparative religions including Buddhism, White Magick, Wicca, Sufism, etc., was I able to reconcile with Jesus, especially thanks to Krishna and my Hindu friends, who helped me to see God in a different, playful, more attractive light.

So now I am Episcopalian but I see God as One; for me it's like "same Guy, different costumes." But the sweetest names for me are Yeshua and Krishna. I am a yogini first and a Christian second, because Christianity is a religion, whereas yoga is Union with the Divine.

If you don't already have a religious tradition that you enjoy or are comfortable with, I would recommend reading and/or visiting different traditions until you find something that resonates with you.

If you're just not into the deity thing at all, a meaningful word like "love" or a phrase like, "may all beings be blessed," might work.

I really hope that is helpful. LOVE to you!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  01:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"same Guy, different costumes."

Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ak33,

if you not feel devotion towards name of God take some words which makes sense like Conciouness,truth,eternal peace,peace whichever makes sense to you.

Love N Light
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  12:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
love that same guy in different costumes..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000