New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  3:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's funny - being disrespectful to little old ladies- Ha ha! I used to have friends who were like that. They weren't the brightest. In fact they were all criminals flunking out of school. But they accepted me.
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  5:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey! What's wrong with criminal flunking out of school, huh?!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Saagaram and welcome to the AYP forums.

Here is what is coming up for me to say.....

1. We are all (likely) here because we are looking to maximize human potential in ourselves and help others realize their maximum potential as well. Maximum human potential is realized in daily life, not just in theory in the mind.

2. Telling most people there is nothing to do only causes confusion and frustration....this is due to the reality that most people feel like there is something to do and someone to do it. Just try telling someone who considers themselves "not-spiritual" that there is nothing to do and no one to do it and see how "awake" they become. Doing this isn't going to help them realize their maximum human potential at all. Giving them a set of (non-sectarian) practices that give palpable, real life results, is much more likely to help them realize their maximum human potential (if they are willing to put them to daily use).

3. Meeting people where they are at, not where we are at, is a much more effective way of sharing. Trying to force another into our own realizations of reality does not work. Everyone has their own path to tread and trying to walk another's path or force a realization into their mind/body is futile.

4. Enlightenment is not found in the mind, it is found in the moment. This means that enlightenment is not a mental realization. It is embodied in the moment. If we *THINK* we are enlightened, we are not.

Don't know if any of this is helpful or not. Doesn't really matter. This is what came up to say here regardless.

Again, welcome to the forum Saagaram....hope you enjoy your time here.

Love!

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saagaram

Thanks for your contributions to the forum

I am curious....what is the meaning of your forum name?

quote:
The "Paarayana," as I have so awesomely coined the new word taken from the first teachings of the Buddha called the "Parayanavagga," the "Chapter about the Path on the Other Shore" boils this down and describes an instantaneous nirvana. If find these teachings very credible because Buddha is talking to non-buddhists, in a pre-sangha time. His teachings are not dressed up for his congregation. They ring with the spontaneity of someone who is just sitting around answering questions, rather than a rehearsed sermon. These are believed to be the oldest recorded sayings of Buddha.

Thanks for sharing that. I am also interested in reading more about the early Bhudda teachings you are talking about: "Parayanavagga"
Where can I find them? Is there a book..or a website that displays them?

quote:
It might take checking out the ultimate bliss practice before you finally give up trying to find that one last move that will spark the permanent omnipresent orgasm and realize, it doesn't exist like the Tooth Fairy.

Amen to That.
In my experience It is actually possible to "have orgasms" (or not) and at the same time be "coming" 24/7.
But more importantly.....it is not the permanent orgasm that is the bliss in my experience. In fact I would not call it bliss. It is abiding inner peace - no matter what there is of no-peace emerging. In my experience the freedom of that far transcends any bliss. Because it actually makes it possible to consciously be ok with being right where I am. There is great freedom in that.

quote:
If "abiding inner silence" is what you folks need, then by all means abide in silence. There's nothing wrong with it. At some point one has to observe that it doesn't last unless you keep cultivating and cultivating and you are a prisoner of cultivation.

Well - this is not my experience. I never felt a prisoner of cultivating inner silence (the gap) through meditation or any other practice (which has been going on for 25 years now) Thoughts on the other hand....and emotions....sensations.....desires...the ecstacy that begun when the energy arose.....now that's another matter. Each of them has been - and can still be - prisons here. It is just that the sentence served is incredibly short compared to 25 years ago.... Some days I am told from within to not sit at all. That is fine too. Anything can be a cultivation of inner silence. Even not sitting.

There is something about cultivating letting go, deep peace and release for a few minutes a day (which is what Deep Meditation is in the AYP teachings) that is actually setting an immensity free here in-between those times of practice. And it is both gradual and instant and there is no end to it. So investing those minutes seems no "price" to pay. I too agree there is no path. Not until we walk it. But then - there is indeed always a path. But only in hindsight can it be seen and made into a continuum in the mind.

We are after all as different as we are alike. I respect your path the non-path. You are walking it as we speak. And it is not a bad thing that the AYP forum is exposed to "opposing" teachings. It is very refreshing and sound for the community. But when confusion is created (which can easily happen), it is natural for the teacher to speak up, no?

We all speak from our own perspectives. What else can we do ? There is no right and wrong....there are only consequences directly experienced. And like you say - they are all valid. Being quiet is of course an option, but funnily enough, "abiding inner peace for all" sometimes means talking :)

So I am glad you are here. And I am grateful that there is room for it in the AYP forum. I know I have much to learn from every live encounter.

Hopefully we will manage to see each others intention as being the same:

Liberation for all

All the best and do keep posting

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Saagaram,

Found a passage from the bible in John 4:35-38 that I believe supports your original point (long forgotten).

35Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

36And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

37And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

38I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

As you stated, no need to labor, just reap the field that is already white for harvest. Still working on making it that simple for me.

Namaste, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi, Thanks for the welcome. I keep reading you guys saying this or that is in the mind and AYP is deeper than that or something to that effect. I have beliefs. I don't go beyond what I can perceive, at least, with my mind. Feelings, emotions, sensations, all fall within what I can perceive with my mind. Stillness, movement, all that is part of mind. "The mind is the chief." --Dhammapada.

I can't say I see spiritual practice as maximizing my human potential. That sounds so Tony Robbins. To each his own. My realization, in my mind, is that this dimension is the product of oppositions and conflicts, like grasping and rejecting over and over again, and by giving that up, I have short-circuited the power to a runaway train. If you tell me about my soul or god or whatever, I won't be interested.

I get you meet people where they are at. But serious students need to figure out the teaching too, especially when it is not easy. I'm under no illusion of thinking people generally would go along with what I'm saying. Even with Yogani's way, it's a narrow cast of characters that is going to get into it. Attitudes of folks varies widely. There's no one size fits all.

Enlightenment is not found in the mind but in the moment? What finds the moment? You lost me.
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  6:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

Saagaram means "oceans."

There's no permanent anything when it comes to sensations. At least, that's my realization. While yoga practice generates various seemingly long lasting feelings, I have found they are not permanent. They will not follow you after death. Some yogis go into these samadhis that last billions of years. But even those are not permanent. Impermanence is a key to unlocking liberation.

I know well many teach meditation is cultivating the silent gap between thoughts. That is a pernicious effort. It is that exact effort which leaves you unprepared for difficult feelings and events. Those cannot be stopped no matter what you do. Realizing that the nature of the world is like this is the liberation. The Witness if you like is never moved or disturbed. There's nothing to cultivate the witness. It is the base of consciousness. It is the nirvana body. Knowing that, being that, let come what may. So you see, discernment, the mind, is a required function for liberation. If you know in your mind what the facts are, you can put the matter aside. It's ignorance that harms the practice.

Practice of mantras and pranayama, in my view, allow one to perceive this silent witness. But one also needs to perceive the dharmakaya, which is the steady stream of thoughts and events in the world that never ever ever stops. A high level of realization is gaining conviction that all these are the same nature as the witness, which is a real mind blow.

I appreciate your understanding. I agree with you there is a path and there is the pathless. I have said in this thread that there is a use for active practice. I have said it is for examining phenomena and consciousness. Clearly the yoga community has its own slant. That's to be expected. This is Advanced Yoga Practices.
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: The Parayanavagga is here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...html#vagga-5

You can read the full version in a book called "The Rhinoceros Horn," translated by K. R. Norman. Strangely, the last sutta in the book says that the Parayanavagga is an instantaneous path. But the accesstoinsight.org website cut that part out. Smacks of sectarianism. Otherwise it is a good translation. Each sutta is very short and the whole thing can be read in ten minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Saagaram,

Found a passage from the bible in John 4:35-38 that I believe supports your original point (long forgotten).

35Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

36And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

37And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

38I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

As you stated, no need to labor, just reap the field that is already white for harvest. Still working on making it that simple for me.

Namaste, Jeff

Oh Jeff that's fantastic. In many buddhist prayers it is said, "bless me with the attainment of effortlessness." The mind is just like a mirror. There's no effort on the mirror's part to reflect images. That is its nature. When it comes to reflecting all the actions and situations of the world, our mind just does that. The mirror and the reflections cannot be separated. All you have to do is allow yourself to be the mirror and being the reflections is easy. If you try to be the reflections when you are the mirror, you suffer from not being what you are. The reflections are always changing. Just be that open space where anything possible may arise without hindrance.
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  7:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Saagaram!! Glad to have you here on the forums...very useful to hear different perspectives/experiences

quote:
Originally posted by Saagaram

"The mind is the chief." --Dhammapada.

"The Witness is the chief, the mind only thinks it is." --Parallax
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  7:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information Saagaram.

quote:
I know well many teach meditation is cultivating the silent gap between thoughts. That is a pernicious effort. It is that exact effort which leaves you unprepared for difficult feelings and events. Those cannot be stopped no matter what you do. Realizing that the nature of the world is like this is the liberation.

It is my experience that Deep Meditation is effortless. It increases the effortless spontaneous ability to stay consciously aware through adversity and happiness alike. No other preparation is then necessary. Life will present one with plenty of opportunities for further awakening. It comes with its implicit wisdom. One is bound to be impacted by it. Awareness/inner silence is the transformative factor. It renders one more and more open and vulnerable to all that life presents without having any of it rocking the boat. To be "inside" a feeling as well as witnessing it unveils the non-separation. All is space/ the witness. But even this must be let go of, since it is a perception. Even consciousness is a subtle object.

quote:
The Witness if you like is never moved or disturbed. There's nothing to cultivate the witness. It is the base of consciousness. It is the nirvana body. Knowing that, being that, let come what may. So you see, discernment, the mind, is a required function for liberation. If you know in your mind what the facts are, you can put the matter aside. It's ignorance that harms the practice.

Well - in my ordinary inner dictionary discernment is much more than mind. But maybe "mind" in buddhism means "awareness"? Discernment is an implicitness of the witness as far as I experience it. Instant seeing. Instant knowing. And like you say absolutely crucial for liberation. But "putting the matter aside" is a whole other ballgame. It is not a doing. Nothing needs be put anywhere. It is instead a surrender to the very essence of life. It involves the heart as well as the mind. It also includes the body - and everything "out there" is involved in it.

quote:
Practice of mantras and pranayama, in my view, allow one to perceive this silent witness. But one also needs to perceive the dharmakaya, which is the steady stream of thoughts and events in the world that never ever ever stops. A high level of realization is gaining conviction that all these are the same nature as the witness, which is a real mind blow.

Even after this realization is stable - even after recognizing myself in everything I look at, perceiving everything "out there" to arise within myself - the fact remains that that which is before all things seen and sensed, permeating all things seen and sensed, is not something to be grasped with the mind. So for me - the conviction does not liberate.

Only surrender and letting go - and meditation has made that easier here. It has opened the "dharma door" wider.

quote:
I appreciate your understanding. I agree with you there is a path and there is the pathless. I have said in this thread that there is a use for active practice. I have said it is for examining phenomena and consciousness. Clearly the yoga community has its own slant. That's to be expected. This is Advanced Yoga Practices.

Yes

It is interesting that your conclusions (regarding the witness, discernment, dharmakaya etc) coincide with my experience. No slant there.

Thanks again for sharing - it is much appreciated here.

Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  7:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

Welcome Saagaram!! Glad to have you here on the forums...very useful to hear different perspectives/experiences

quote:

"The mind is the chief." --Dhammapada.

"The Witness is the chief, the mind only thinks it is." --Parallax

Okay I see where you guys are coming from. This is like the mind/nature of mind distinction. For me it is all mind. The witness is the mind, and what you are calling "mind" is discursive mind. In a sense, the witness never makes decisions. It just witnesses. So how could it be chief? There's more to realize guys. You have to liberate your mind, not sequester it and hold it hostage.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  9:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Saagaram,

Welcome to the AYP Forum!

quote:

In a sense, the witness never makes decisions. It just witnesses. So how could it be chief?

Because its access to actual wisdom; pratibha - the pure light of intuitive awareness, in Sanskrit - isn't blocked by the illusion of making decisions.

quote:

There's more to realize.

Good that you see this.

quote:
You have to liberate your mind, not sequester it and hold it hostage.

This is true.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saagaram

quote:

Hi CarsonZi, Thanks for the welcome.

No problem. Happy to have you here.

quote:

I keep reading you guys saying this or that is in the mind and AYP is deeper than that or something to that effect.

I can only speak for myself, but this is not really what I am saying at all. The mind/human nervous system is our vehicle to the Absolute, to the Divine. So there is no point in demonizing or trying to shelve the mind. The mind is a tool...a tool used to go beyond itself. AYP is not "deeper then the mind." AYP is just a set of practices that help to give us access to that which is beyond the mind, to that which is the Source of the mind/thoughts.

quote:

I have beliefs.

Didn't you say near the beginning of this thread that you were "liberated from beliefs."

quote:

I don't go beyond what I can perceive, at least, with my mind. Feelings, emotions, sensations, all fall within what I can perceive with my mind. Stillness, movement, all that is part of mind. "The mind is the chief." --Dhammapada.

In my experience there is a stillness, a silence, that is beyond the individual mind. The mind is used as a tool to access this (which is always present anyways, but is often overshadowed with thoughts) but it is beyond the mind. If the mind was the Source of everything, well, when mind dies, when the human nervous system dies, so would everything else. Obviously that isn't the case since human beings are dying all the time and there is no beginning or end to existence.

quote:

I can't say I see spiritual practice as maximizing my human potential.

Perhaps because you aren't engaged in any spiritual practices? I know spiritual practice has certainly brought my body/mind to a higher level of functioning!

quote:

That sounds so Tony Robbins. To each his own.

Hahaha. Yes, to each his own.

quote:

My realization, in my mind, is that this dimension is the product of oppositions and conflicts, like grasping and rejecting over and over again, and by giving that up, I have short-circuited the power to a runaway train. If you tell me about my soul or god or whatever, I won't be interested.

Won't tell you about your soul or god, but I will tell you that liberation is not found in the mind. Liberation is not an intellectual realization. Liberation is liberation FROM the (limited) intellect! And that doesn't mean that there isn't any intelligence anymore, it just means that we are no longer living from a place where our limited mind is the determining factor anymore. We are then living from a place of "higher intellect." Knowing things that can't be known, as we are directly connected to the Source of all intellect. This is where words begin to fail as they can only point to the Truth, they can not themselves BE Truth.

quote:

I get you meet people where they are at. But serious students need to figure out the teaching too, especially when it is not easy.

What about the rest of humanity that is not considered by you to be "serious students?" Don't they deserve to know their True Nature as well? Sounds very seperatist to me, and to me, this entire journey is about realizing Unity, not creating more seperation. It is (IMO) about realizing and embodying the truth that all seperation is in the imagination.

quote:

I'm under no illusion of thinking people generally would go along with what I'm saying. Even with Yogani's way, it's a narrow cast of characters that is going to get into it. Attitudes of folks varies widely. There's no one size fits all.

Everyone that needs to find AYP will find it. Can't be any other way. It is no mistake that you are here.

quote:

Enlightenment is not found in the mind but in the moment? What finds the moment? You lost me.

This is just trying to indicate (which is difficult to do with words since what we are trying to indicate is something that is beyond words) that enlightenment/unity/self-realization/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is not an intellectual realization. You can't *think* you are enlightened/liberated. You can't think yourself to enlightenment/liberation. "You" cannot be enlightened/liberated at all. Enlightenment is worn by the moment. It is embodied as the moment.

Glad to have you here Saagaram.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I have beliefs.

quote:
Didn't you say near the beginning of this thread that you were "liberated from beliefs."

Sometimes I leave out whole words from my sentences, a weird typo habit. Should have type I don't have beliefs.

quote:
In my experience there is a stillness, a silence, that is beyond the individual mind. The mind is used as a tool to access this (which is always present anyways, but is often overshadowed with thoughts) but it is beyond the mind. If the mind was the Source of everything, well, when mind dies, when the human nervous system dies, so would everything else. Obviously that isn't the case since human beings are dying all the time and there is no beginning or end to existence.

Tomeito Tahmahto. The mind doesn't die when we die. It continues and has numerous after death experiences and visions.

quote:

Perhaps because you aren't engaged in any spiritual practices? I know spiritual practice has certainly brought my body/mind to a higher level of functioning!

My spiritual practice is to dwell in the nirvana nature.

quote:
Won't tell you about your soul or god, but I will tell you that liberation is not found in the mind. Liberation is not an intellectual realization. Liberation is liberation FROM the (limited) intellect! And that doesn't mean that there isn't any intelligence anymore, it just means that we are no longer living from a place where our limited mind is the determining factor anymore. We are then living from a place of "higher intellect." Knowing things that can't be known, as we are directly connected to the Source of all intellect. This is where words begin to fail as they can only point to the Truth, they can not themselves BE Truth.

Discernment is a key to liberation. What is discernment? I can't really say, it is beyond the intellect, I will grant you that. But it is a function of the mind, an inherent function, the intuitive insight.

quote:
What about the rest of humanity that is not considered by you to be "serious students?" Don't they deserve to know their True Nature as well? Sounds very seperatist to me, and to me, this entire journey is about realizing Unity, not creating more seperation. It is (IMO) about realizing and embodying the truth that all seperation is in the imagination.

A serious student is someone who is seriously working at it. Whether someone is serious or not is not for me to say. I'm just talking about the student teacher dynamic. Both have to work towards each other. It's not a one way thing.

quote:
Everyone that needs to find AYP will find it. Can't be any other way. It is no mistake that you are here.

There are many ways to look at it.

quote:
This is just trying to indicate (which is difficult to do with words since what we are trying to indicate is something that is beyond words) that enlightenment/unity/self-realization/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is not an intellectual realization. You can't *think* you are enlightened/liberated. You can't think yourself to enlightenment/liberation. "You" cannot be enlightened/liberated at all. Enlightenment is worn by the moment. It is embodied as the moment.

Okay. I agree. Thinking is characterized by grasping and rejecting, a dialectic. Once one gives that up, what remains is beyond the intellect, yet it is clearly apparent. While it is apparent, nothing can be said about it, and it cannot be pointed out. This is the refuge of nirvana.
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bet Norway is awesome. Is Norway awesome? There's a place I'd like to see. I like Northern hemisphere places.

quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Even after this realization is stable - even after recognizing myself in everything I look at, perceiving everything "out there" to arise within myself - the fact remains that that which is before all things seen and sensed, permeating all things seen and sensed, is not something to be grasped with the mind. So for me - the conviction does not liberate.

Apparently it does, because what you just said is what I am saying is the conviction of liberation.

Folks around here have latched onto this mind/no-mind dichotomy. That's pretty clear from what everyone is saying. This is why there will always be this dynamic of lineage and teacher. Once a group starts up with their jargon, two groups can meet, be talking about the same city they're from and no one will find it or even know they are talking about the same city. Then, they will argue about who's from the better city. If they realize they are from the same city, they go to war. Sometimes I have found it helpful to change my city, my language, my appearance, everything just to see with new eyes. I have joined every lineage at some point and practiced everything and believed and not believed everything. Perhaps that's why I'm here now Carson. When I see the commonalities, the common denominator is the realization. The language leading there gets in the way. For me, I have found the Buddha's teachings in the Parayanavagga to be the highest exposition of spiritual truth in the starkly simplest language necessary for the realization. My spiritual practice is to remain ever mindful of the super-fact of this truth without concentrating. Surely, I'm not saying it's easy or doing nothing. It is fraught with it's own ups and downs and energetic trip outs. It is a practice of nondistraction from the innate mind.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saagaram

Looks like (at least to me) we are a little bit closer to seeing ourselves/our perspectives as aligned. Thanks for continuing to converse.

quote:

My spiritual practice is to dwell in the nirvana nature.

There's a big difference between *thinking/believing* you are dwelling in the nirvana state and actually dwelling in the nirvana state. Not passing any judgement on where you are or are not, just saying that there is some distinction that can be made there. One results in denying that you are suffering, the other results in no suffering whatsoever. And they can be hard to distinguish from each other sometimes.

quote:

Discernment is a key to liberation. What is discernment? I can't really say, it is beyond the intellect, I will grant you that. But it is a function of the mind, an inherent function, the intuitive insight.

Yes, I agree. And to me, this "discernment" as you are calling it, is cultivated through Deep Meditation and other yoga practices. That is what we are doing here at AYP.... cultivating what you call "discernment." At least that is how I interpret what you are saying. I can never really know for sure.

Intuitive insight is always here....underneath the mental jockeying. BUT, that said, most people are not deeply in touch with this intuitive insight/discernment. And again, this is where AYP comes in. Giving people practices that will bring them back in touch with this intuitive insight that has always been here anyways.

quote:

A serious student is someone who is seriously working at it. Whether someone is serious or not is not for me to say. I'm just talking about the student teacher dynamic. Both have to work towards each other. It's not a one way thing.

Indeed, we all have to work together. None of us are in this alone. But (IMO) there is no benefit in writing someone off because they are not "serious" enough....everyone has to start somewhere. There is also no point in spouting Advaita cliches and platitudes at those who don't have enough inner silence (discernment) to realize that these statements have no intellectual benefit....that they need to percolate in Silence and the realizations that they are meant to point at need to arise from within.

quote:

quote:

There are many ways to look at it.

Discernment.

quote:

Okay. I agree. Thinking is characterized by grasping and rejecting, a dialectic. Once one gives that up, what remains is beyond the intellect, yet it is clearly apparent. While it is apparent, nothing can be said about it, and it cannot be pointed out. This is the refuge of nirvana.

Amen brother.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Saagaram

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi folks, I think my time for blab is at an end. Time for me to shut up and be it. I'll be around and yuk up when it seems right. I've extracted the essential sayings from the Parayanavagga in case anyone is interested in getting the meat. Enjoy.

quote:
Paarayana

1. With ignorance the world is shrouded. Because of stinginess, heedlessness, it doesn't shine. With longing it's smeared — I tell you. Suffering-stress: its great danger & fear.

2. Whatever streams there are in the world: their blocking is mindfulness, mindfulness is their restraint — I tell you — with discernment they're finally stopped.

3. This question you've asked, I'll answer it for you — where name & form are brought to a halt without trace: With the cessation of consciousness they're brought to a halt.

4. He should not hanker for sensual pleasures, should be limpid in mind. Skilled in all mental qualities, he, the monk, should live his life mindfully.

5. He who in the midst of sensualities, follows the holy life, always mindful, craving-free; the monk who is — through fathoming things — Unbound: he has no agitations. He, the thinker knowing both sides, doesn't adhere in between. He I call a great person. He here has gone past the seamstress: craving.

6. Those many human seers — noble warriors, brahmins — who have offered sacrifices to devas here in the world, hoping for more of this state of being, offered their sacrifices because of aging.

7. They hoped for, liked, longed for, so sacrificed — they longed for sensuality, dependent on gain. I tell you: those who take on the yoke of sacrifice, impassioned with the passion for becoming, have not crossed over birth & aging.

8. He who has fathomed the far & near in the world, for whom there is nothing perturbing in the world — his vices evaporated, undesiring, untroubled, at peace — he, I tell you, has crossed over birth & aging.

9. If you ask me the coming-into-being of stress & suffering, I will tell it to you as one who discerns. From acquisition as cause the many forms of stress & suffering come into being in the world. Whoever, unknowing, makes acquisitions — the fool — comes to stress & suffering again & again. So one who's discerning, focused on the birth of stress & suffering, their coming-into-being, should make no acquisitions.

10. I will teach you the Dhamma — in the here & now, not quoted words — knowing which, living mindfully, you'll cross over beyond entanglement in the world.

11. Whatever you're alert to, above, below, across, in between: dispelling any delight, any laying claim to those things, consciousness should not take a stance in becoming. The monk who dwells thus — mindful, heedful — letting go of his sense of mine, knowing right here would abandon birth & aging, lamentation & sorrow, stress & suffering.

12. Whoever you recognize as a knowledgeable brahmin, possessing nothing, unentangled in sensuality & becoming yes, he has crossed over the flood. Having crossed to the far shore, he is without harshness or doubt. And anyone who has realized, who is knowledgeable here, having unentangled the bond to becoming and non-, free of craving, untroubled, undesiring — he, I tell you, has crossed over birth & aging.

13. Whatever you're alert to, above, below, across, in between: knowing it as a bond in the world, don't create craving for becoming or non-becoming.

14. Mindfully focused on nothing, relying on 'There isn't,' (anything to rely on) you should cross over the flood. Abandoning sensual pleasures, abstaining from conversations, keep watch for the ending of craving, night & day.

15. One free from passion for all sensual pleasures relying on nothing, letting go of all else, released in the highest emancipation of perception: He stays there unaffected.

16. As a flame overthrown by the force of the wind goes to an end that cannot be classified, so the sage free from naming activity goes to an end that cannot be classified.

17. One who has reached the end has no criterion by which anyone would say that — for him it doesn't exist. When all phenomena are discarded, all means of speaking are discarded as well.

18. Not on account of his views, learning, or knowledge do the skilled here call one a sage. Those who live disarmed, undesiring, untroubled: those, I say, are called sages.

19. Whatever priests & contemplatives describe purity in terms of views & learning, describe purity in terms of precepts & practices, describe purity in terms of manifold ways: none of them, living there in that way, I tell you, have crossed over birth & aging.

20. I don't say that all priests & contemplatives are shrouded in birth & aging. Those here who've abandoned what's seen, heard, & sensed, precepts & practices — all — who've abandoned their manifold ways — again, all — who, comprehending craving, are effluent-free: they are the ones, I tell you, who've crossed over the flood.

21. Here with regard to things that are dear — seen, heard, sensed, & cognized — there is the dispelling of passion & desire, the undying state of Unbinding. Those knowing this, mindful, fully unbound in the here & now, are forever calmed, have crossed over, beyond entanglement in the world.

22. One in whom there dwell no sensualities; one in whom no craving is found; one who has crossed over perplexity — his emancipation is not other than that.

23. He's without desire, not desiring; discerning, not still acquiring discernment. Recognize the sage as having nothing, unentangled in sensuality & becoming.

24. For one stranded in the middle of the lake, in the flood of great danger — birth — overwhelmed with aging & death, I will tell you the island. Having nothing, clinging to no thing: That is the island, there is no other. That's Unbinding, I tell you, the total ending of aging & death. Those knowing this, mindful, fully unbound in the here & now, don't serve as Mara's servants, don't come under Mara's sway.

25. Subdue greed for sensual pleasures, & see renunciation as rest. Let there be nothing grasped or rejected by you. Burn up what's before, and have nothing for after. If you don't grasp at what's in between, you will go about, calm. One completely devoid of greed for name & form, brahmin, has no effluents by which he would go under Mara's sway.

26. Subdue craving & clinging — all — above, below, across, in between. For whatever people cling to in the world, it's through that that Mara pursues them. So a monk, mindful, seeing these people clinging to entanglement as entangled in Death's realm, should cling to nothing in all the world, every world.

27. The abandoning both of sensual desires, & of unhappiness, the dispelling of sloth, the warding off of anxieties, equanimity-&-mindfulness purified, with inspection of mental qualities swift in the forefront: That I call the gnosis of emancipation, the breaking open of ignorance.

28. With delight the world is fettered. With directed thought it is examined. Through the abandoning of craving is there said to be Unbinding.

29. Not relishing feeling, inside or out: One living mindful in this way brings consciousness to a halt.

30. The Tathagata, knowing directly all stations of consciousness, knows for one stationed in them release & the steps leading there. Knowing directly the origin of nothingness to be the fetter of delight, one then sees there clearly. That's his genuine knowledge — the brahmin who has lived to fulfillment.

31. View the world as empty — always mindful to have removed any view about “itself.” This way one is above & beyond death. This is how one views the world so as not to be seen by Death's king.

32. Seeing people suffering on account of their bodies — heedless people are oppressed on account of their bodies — then heedful let go of the body for the sake of no further becoming.

33. Seeing people, victims of craving — aflame, overwhelmed with aging — then heedful let go of craving for the sake of no further becoming.

34. This doctrine is instantaneous and immediate, the destruction of craving and distress, the likeness of which does not exist anywhere. This is the Buddha you see in your mind as if in your eye. Being vigilant day and night. Pass the night ever so mindful. For that reason there is no staying away from the Buddha.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Time for me to shut up and be it.

Saagaram

I am grateful for the conversation. Seems to me, your timing for coming to this forum was great. I have learned through the process.

Be
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  4:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your insights Saagaram, peace
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  9:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Okay I see where you guys are coming from. This is like the mind/nature of mind distinction. For me it is all mind. The witness is the mind, and what you are calling "mind" is discursive mind.

That's what makes these discussions so tricky sometimes, my "mind" is your "discursive mind", and your "mind" is my "unbound awareness/witness/pure bliss consciousness"

Sometimes the words/labels get in the way...great to get your perspectives nonetheless...appreciate your presence here

Peace
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Time for me to shut up and be it.

There is a Buddhist poem with the refrain, "One should wander solitary as a Rhinocerous Horn" The poem is printed here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3K...Horn&f=false

"Rhinoceros Horn" is the title of the book from which Saagaram said (in his first post) that he had read "Parayanavagga":
http://www.amazon.com/Rhinoceros-Ot...p/0860131548

What a beautiful poem! Seems to me that when Saagaram said, "Time for me to shut up and be it." he was reclaiming his Rhino horn solitude. I think the poem mirrors that solitude.

My "thank you" to all the forum participants and to Yogani who shared such wonderful, insightful, revealing responses to the visit from the reader inspired by Rhino horn, Saagaram.

As for me: Time to return to grateful silence.

Edited by - bewell on Dec 07 2010 11:43:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi folks, I think my time for blab is at an end. Time for me to shut up and be it. I'll be around and yuk up when it seems right. I've extracted the essential sayings from the Parayanavagga in case anyone is interested in getting the meat. Enjoy.

quote:
Paarayana

24. For one stranded in the middle of the lake, in the flood of great danger — birth — overwhelmed with aging & death, I will tell you the island. Having nothing, clinging to no thing: That is the island, there is no other. That's Unbinding, I tell you, the total ending of aging & death. Those knowing this, mindful, fully unbound in the here & now, don't serve as Mara's servants, don't come under Mara's sway.

Thanks for your contributions to the forum Saagaram!
I know I have benefitted and hope you stick around.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  05:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saagaram

quote:

Thanks so much for that extract - it us much appreciated

PS
Yes Norway is very beautiful....when I left it to go to Dublin last night, we had 20 degrees below zero......clear sky...white snow everywhere....
Crisp, clear, silent and full of stars was the night
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000