Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Holotropic Breathwork gud / bad / nothing special?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, my friend has asked if I would go to a 3 day holotropic breathwork (HB) retreat/workshop with her.

Had never heard of it until she asked me, it looks interesting but I am not sure. I am more than happy with AYP. It seems like it helps with past trauma etc and ego matters. On one hand the ego is not the true self (just circular thought) so I question whether it should even be attempted to fix it, but on the other hand I do feel I have some past traumas and a fragile, occasionally ruminative personality (again, not the real me, investment in illusion). This makes me think of a statement Timothy Freke makes, in a lot of spiritual traditions there are 2 types of initiation, one being psychological and the other being spiritual, so when the person is stable enough psychologically it means their transition into realized oneness when initiated spiritually will be easier/smoother.

This is kind of going off topic, HB might not even be that good/effective anyway but it made me think of the above issues, so I thought I would mention them.

Any advice on it? Anyone done it? Would anyone advise not to? -(Could it lead to overloads etc?) Any thoughts are welcome.

Again, as I said, I am more than happy with AYP, but it's always nice to try new things like this.

Love. x

Edited by - 11jono11 on Dec 13 2010 05:19:56 AM

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  06:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I trained as a breathwork practitioner this year, not holotropic, but a gentler version of it. I did read Stanislav Grof's book, The Holotropic Mind, before I did the training, and it is fascinating reading.

Before I did the training, I read a couple of threads here, and the gist of it that I took away was that overloading was a possibility. So I discussed it with the teacher who was training me (Peggy Dylan) and she asked me to let her know how it went throughout the week. So - the first thing I noticed was that during SBP there was tremendous heat moving throughout the upper body, to the extent that perspiration was pouring off. This increased throughout the week's training (which was very intensive - full on 10 hours a day, including pool work) - I maintained my AYP routine throughout, and interestingly enough after meditation someone commented that they didn't have to ask how my meditation went, because I was 'radiant'.

Breathwork appears to me to augment the purification aspects of AYP practice. I'd suggest being aware that a lot of material can come up very fast. Releasing it can be painful. However, I'd add that I have never had such a clear 'inner picture' of energy moving than during these sessions. I'm not strongly visual, so this was fascinating.

Gay Hendricks' book 'Conscious Breathing' is also worth a read.

I'd recommend doing the workshop, being aware that it is very powerful.

Hope some of this helps
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  3:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey amoux, thanks for the prompt and informative reply. You have convinced me, i think, I am happy for a lot of material to come up fast, gets rid of it quicker , and i have AYP and DM to help stabilize. Perhaps I will teach DM to my friend before we go to help her stabilize to. I am currently waiting for the details from her (organization etc).

quote:
So - the first thing I noticed was that during SBP there was tremendous heat moving throughout the upper body, to the extent that perspiration was pouring off.
Do you mean during your AYP routine or was there SBP in the breathwork you were doing? do you expect there to be SBP in the HB i'll be doing?

Love

Edited by - 11jono11 on Dec 13 2010 3:54:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify - the SBP was part of my AYP routine, not part of the breathwork training.

Would be great to hear how you get on

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000