Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 immensely negative reaction to alcohol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Following my 4 months of twice daily ayp all desire to become intoxicated has gone away. I used to drink quite a lot regularly, now I have not done so for 2.5 months.

Last night I had 4 drinks (3 glasses of wine and a cocktail). I felt fine at the time, perhaps even had an intensified sense of inner silence whilst drinking.

However the next day (today) has been agony. Not really a hangover or physical sickness, but emotionally/energetically I feel like a bag of angry cats that is being shaken up so all the cats are attacking each other. Every minute of the day was torturous.

I've learned my lesson - I won't be drinking again, at least not more than one. I'm interested to hear if peope have had similar experiences and what people might think the reason is for this!

Thanks, Josh.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  9:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - pre existing blood sugar problem (low) combined with dehydration does that to me. Drink a glass of water
or more for every alcohol drink. Most people don't know this is the cause of hangovers and too many other problems to list. Drink at least 2 liters of water throughout the day, everyday.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a topic from the Yama/Niyama forum, where AYP'ers discuss their tendencies toward alcohol use and how it's changed since beginning regular practices.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=1

My personal experience has been that the high from drinking is less enjoyable, and it has become painfully clear that the hangover the next day(s) is effectively the reaction to a poisoning. Each time I drink, I become more aware that even small amounts are not worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  02:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, very recognisable. I can't drink alcohol any more, even if it's just one drink accompanied by a lot of water. During the drinking I'm fine, but the next day I feel miserable. I also can't handle caffeine any more. Last week I drank an organic energy drink which I used to like very much, which resulted in a hangover (headache, nausea) for 1,5 days. Blegh.

I'll just keep hoping it's just a phase :)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  07:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A blood sugar problem can cause problems with energy drinks also. most of them are loaded with caffeine and sugar.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Not really a hangover or physical sickness, but emotionally/energetically I feel like a bag of angry cats that is being shaken up so all the cats are attacking each other. Every minute of the day was torturous.

I used to experience this too, that is what made me quit really. I loved drinking a glass of wine on weekends. But not only did it give me headaches... that was just physical symptom that I had dealt with for years, but just before I decided it was not worth it, and quit completely, I would experience an inner agitation and loss of access to the stillness, all day, actually for a few days.

Physical symptoms can be overcome with water and medication, but the energetic turmoil and loss in access to the stillness in meditation (meditation would be very mindy and surfacey and agitated) would stay for a few days no matter what I did. It was so not worth the glass of wine anymore.

As we open more, we get more sensitive to things that add more junk (be it physical stuff like alcohol or drugs or violence or noise or non-physical stuff like indulgence in attachment to thoughts) to our nervous system... we see it and feel it more... that is a good thing, becasue now we can let it go for good.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
great! Thanks everyone. Really useful replies. Like Shanti said in the post JDH linked to: "I did not give up drinking alcohol, it have up on me!".

I think this may be my situation! And I must say, this is actually very good news as far as I'm concerned, I didn't need it anyway! :0)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

"I did not give up drinking alcohol, it have up on me!".

I think this may be my situation! And I must say, this is actually very good news as far as I'm concerned, I didn't need it anyway! :0)

We cross posted.
Yep.. we did not need it anyway!!!
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello friends,

Yeah I agree with shanti that it starts givingup on us even if we want to hold it back which all good at any cost
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think . . . . it may have something to do with Ojas. My understanding is that Ojas is the glue that helps bind body mind to work harmoniously. I was also under the impression that Ojas is "the wings our inner energies travel on". I thought either Paramahansa or Vivikenanda said this but I couldn't find the quote just now to confirm.

Anyway alcohol is quit damaging to Ojas and so is excessive loss of sexual fluids. I find both produce the same symptoms of making me feel as though my inner energies are travelling really rough through my body and also makes me more sensitive to overload.

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Jamuna, that's interesting. I did some research into Ojas after you said that.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  4:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep well away from drinking alcohol. Used to love a pint of wheat beer or six and started feeling miserable next day with legs like jumpy frogs that felt weak and tired.

I drank less and still suffered so quit the beer and tried wine for a while until that began to have exactly the same effect.

Eventually I took the hint and quit completely. What I found strange is that while drinking wine I really missed a beer. When I stopped drinking any alcohol, within weeks even the smell of it made me feel sick and I had absolutely no interest in the stuff. Even Champagne (my favourite tippel at one time) holds no interest for me, rather have a glass of naturally carbonated mineral water thanks.

Thinking back to my youth, it was always a peer pressure thing to drink. The first few times were off putting until I got used to the taste. Now it seems like I'm back at the beginning and this time around it's the equivalent to eating raw tripe.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  7:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a phase.

Definitely, there is no question that one's sensitivities and responses do change with an energetic nervous system.

However, while periods of extreme sensitivity and/or negative reaction are going to happen, I think you will find that at some points you will enjoy drinking sometimes.

For example, I haven't enjoyed drinking much the past several months. But I've gone through several phases like this before, and I'm sure that I'll be able to drink and enjoy it once this phase is over.

xxx
Go to Top of Page

AlanCrawfordUK

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  1:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My impression was that the changes seem to be permanent for as long as you keep up your practice. If you ease off on your practice, become irregular / inconsistent in your practice, or decide to give up all together, normal sensitivity seems to resume. I am quite early on this path, but have already noticed differences in my relationships with alcohol and food. I seem to naturally want to make healthier more wholesome choices, not all of the time, but most of it! I can't drink as much alcohol as I used to and I have lost an almost compulsive / all or nothing approach to it (once I started drinking, I would drink quickly and get quite drunk). Now, once I've had three or maybe four pints of beer I have no desire to continue drinking!

My friend, who is an experienced Reiki Healer, found after her second Reiki attunement that she could no longer drink alcohol at all without feeling very ill for a week! She also had to give up eating wheat, gluten and diary! We each have our own sensitivities, but that shows the power of the process!

I just saw, on another thread, people much more experienced than myself who have found that these sensitivities are a temporary part of the purification process, so I stand corrected!

Wishing you peace and happiness,

Alan

Edited by - AlanCrawfordUK on Dec 15 2010 1:49:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000