Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yoga Teacher Training
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  01:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Just finished my Yoga Teacher Training course at the Sivananda ashram in South India. It was a one month course with 200 hours of training, and possibly the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. We were woken up at 5.30 every morning to be ready for 6 O'clock meditation. Classes went on all day until around 10.30 at night, when we could go to bed.

It covered all aspects of Yoga: Meditation (including mantra meditation), asanas, pranayama (including advanced pranayama), mudras, bandhas, Kriyas (cleansing practices which we call shatkarmas or niyamas), Yoga nidra, diet, chanting, japa, and study of the Bagavadgita. There was a lot of overlap with AYP, so I didn't feel like I was doing anything totally new. I kept up my AYP practice throughout the course.

The teachers were great, and incredibly knowledgeable. I would really recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going down the teaching route, and to anyone who just wants to deepen their own practice of yoga.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Dec 13 2010 02:13:58 AM

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  07:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

christi--congratulations and very good for you!
That sounds intense and from this perspective I am always impressed when I see how some people can be dedicated or committed to rigourous training.
I am not thinking of going down the teacher route, but would like to hear any thing you might share along your training.
What made you pick this ashram?
How many people were in training?
Were they from all over the world? mostly India?
What do you aspire to do with the training?
Hope it is not seeming nosey but more inquisitive.
thanks
sagebrush
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi

Yes!

That is an amazing program - great that you made it all the way through
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Christi

Love!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  1:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Surely you should have posted that under 'suffering and spiritual progress'

Well done, would like to do that myself. Infact anyone undertaking training has me scouring the internet. I would like to go back and take my NLP advanced prac and trainers certificate modules.
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  1:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is great Christi, you are an inspiration to me
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Christi :) are you planning to take the advanced teacher training, too? I see that the advanced teacher trainees get to wake up an hour earlier, 4.30 - awesome! :)))

It's one of the things I'd like to do at some point, along with a 30-40 day dark retreat :)
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  11:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like an amazing experience Christi, congratulations on completing!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  02:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi Sage,

I chose the ashram mainly because of the lineage. It is in the Sivananda tradition, and he was a great saint. His disciple, Swami Vishnudevananda was quite an amazing man and he founded the ashram in Kerala. Also friends of mine have trained there and loved it. Another factor was that it is an integrated yoga training (all 8 limbs) just like AYP is, so it fits well with what I am already doing here. Not everything is the same (no spinal breathing pranayama for example, and no samyama) but there is a lot of overlap.

There were 140 of us on the course, which was amazing. The ashram is a purpose built training centre in the hills in Kerala, so it could easily accommodate that many. Having so many people on the course created a very high group energy. About 40 people were from India, and the rest from all over the world. I would guess that 30 different countries were represented.

I already teach yoga classes and one-on-one sessions, but up until now I have not taught asana (posture) practice in my classes. I wanted to do the training course so that I can add asanas to my classes in the UK.

Hi Karl: I'll move it to the "massachism and spiritual torture" forum as soon as Yogani creates one.

Hi Tadeas: Yes, the Advanced teacher training is up at 4.30 every morning, so I doubt I'll be doing that.

Only kidding! Yes I hope to do it soon... next year or the year after.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  04:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa, 5:30AM to 10:30PM of intensive yoga for a month!? You must be quite high after that one :)
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  05:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow christi would have been quiet an experience pls do share with us your experience and great numbers too!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  08:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Christi!!!!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Karl: I'll move it to the "massachism and spiritual torture" forum as soon as Yogani creates one.

Could go in a new Yogani book.....very early dawn of the witness and continuous suffering.

What were the costs, timescales, practicalities and entrance qualifications needed to attend the course ?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  01:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

quote:

What were the costs, timescales, practicalities and entrance qualifications needed to attend the course ?

It's all on the website:

http://www.sivananda.org/ndam/

Just click on international courses and programms and then on Yoga teacher training (TTC)

There are no entrance qualifications needed. Some people on the course had never practiced yoga before and they just wanted to see if they could get through the course as a kind of personal challenge!

The course was assessed on attendance (you had to attend about 98 per cent of all classes), performance in class, enthusiasm, homework assignments (one or two a day) and a 3.5 hour final exam. If you are serious about yoga, and do the study that you are given, then you pass.

Hi Chiron,

quote:
Whoa, 5:30AM to 10:30PM of intensive yoga for a month!? You must be quite high after that one :)

High and exhausted!
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  02:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Christi. My wife and I have been thinking about trying something like this in the future.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000