Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Chest pain and headache during the meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yulianna

Sri Lanka
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  07:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
My name is Yulianna and I'm 13 years old. I'm practicing Lotus Sutra and breathing meditation about 4 months. Last 2 weeks I started getting terrible chest pain and headache during the chanting and meditation. Does anyone had the same experience,please,give advise.
Thanks.

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yulianna,

Sometimes spiritual practices can lead to excessive amounts of purification, or "dislodging" of emotional energy. This can often have physical manifestations as well. Some of these can be extreme emotions, intense mood swings, a feeling of disconnection from your surroundings, pressure in the head or other parts of the body, or mysterious aches and pains. This could be the case for you. Do you ever experience these pains when you are not meditating? If it happens only during meditation, I think it would be safe to say that it is a result of the practice. The appropriate thing to do is scale back your practice times until you are able to establish a more comfortable routine. Here at AYP, it is commonly referred to as "self-pacing." How frequently are you practicing meditation?
Go to Top of Page

Yulianna

Sri Lanka
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,Clear White Light,
Thanks for your quick response,so I'm getting pain only during the meditation and after. I'm practicing meditation every morning and evening. And I'm really confused... Do I need to continue? Because pain is terrible.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums Yulianna.

Awesome reply from Clear White Light.

Just one more thing to ask you, have you told an adult about these pains? If not, please do mention it to someone who is responsible for you. And, if this persists, maybe get it checked by a doctor too. It maybe meditation related purification, esp. if , as Clear White Light says, it happens only during meditation, but if it is happening outside of meditation time too, a quick checkup by a doctor may be a good idea.

Also as Clear White Light said, do let us know how long your meditation sessions last. At 13, your body/mind is going through many changes and adding long periods of meditation may be too much for you body/mind to take. So make sure you self pace and do plenty of grounding activities between your meditation sessions.

Thanks for your post. Wish you all the best.

Go to Top of Page

Yulianna

Sri Lanka
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,
I'm doing meditation about 30 minutes. Shall I stop meditating for few days and see if the pain go away? But I'm sure, I'm getting pain because of meditation. Because rest of the day I'm fine. And thank you for advise.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, stop for a few days and see how you feel.

Then, once you feel ready, add 10 min of meditation in the morning and 10 min of meditation in the evening. Look at this lesson for instructions on Deep Meditation.

Also read this lesson Lesson 256 - Yoga for Our Children
quote:
Easy "I AM" meditation can be practiced upon reaching 12-13. The suggestion is to start out with 10 minutes maximum per twice-daily sitting. If there is an undesirable result, too much purification, then less time, or none, should be used until a year or two later, and then try again. Too much purification is usually noticeable as irritability and/or dullness in daily activity. Of course, with teenagers and new hormones flowing, that may be happening anyway. Daily meditation in the right dosage can be a help.

I know children who practice this kind of deep meditation for 10 min and are doing fine. So remember, in yoga, less is more. So doing short meditation sessions will help you in your life till you get stable are are ready to take on more.

Also, you may try alternate nostril breathing for 5 min.
In the lesson I quoted above Yogani says:
quote:
Light nadi shodana pranayama (alternate nostril breathing) can be used by teenagers before meditation for 5 minutes, or so. It is a common practice that can be learned almost anywhere -- it is covered in the AYP book too. Nadi shodana can also be used in short sessions by pre-teens (without meditation) if emotions need some soothing influence. Alternate nostril breathing of 5-10 minutes several times per day is good for that.

Hope these help. Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Yulianna

Sri Lanka
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,thank you very much for your attention and great advise. I will definitely do that.
Go to Top of Page

dave

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  12:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to check if your posture or the tensing of muscles during meditation could be causing it.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  11:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yulianna

Hi everyone,
My name is Yulianna and I'm 13 years old. I'm practicing Lotus Sutra and breathing meditation about 4 months. Last 2 weeks I started getting terrible chest pain and headache during the chanting and meditation. Does anyone had the same experience,please,give advise.
Thanks.

Hi Yulianna, :)
Without having you describe which practices you have been doing, it is impossible to tell what the problem might be. What is the Lotus Sutra? What kind of breathing meditation are you doing? Are you following strict breathing cycles, like holding your breath for certain amounts of time during your breathing meditation? Do you ever stop your breath? The reason I'm asking this is because some breathing techniques cause the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the blood and the carbon dioxide creates pressure in the veins and arteries. This causes pain.
If you could describe your routines in as much detail as possible that would be a great aid in diagnosing the possible cause of your pain.
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000