Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 3 track mind...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iso1truth

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  8:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During DM, I'm aware that there are 3 (at least) tracks going in my mind at the same time.

The best way to describe it is like the old video game Frogger, and each lane is going at it's own pace.

The first is the most dominant and easiest to control, the second is harder to control, and the third is very hard to control.

When I'm doing the mantra - and I am focusing on it, it is in track 1. But I will notice that I am thinking of something else, BUT THE MANTRA IS STILL GOING ON AT THE SAME TIME, AUTOMATICALLY, and has switched to track 2. Track 3 is usually some music, various chant or kirtan type music.

I'm not sure what I should be doing with this. So far, when I notice that I am thinking of something unrelated as the mind wanders, I deliberately focus on the mantra (which did not stop, mind you), and move it from track 2 to track 1.

I'm not sure if I should be being this deliberate about it or not, and does everyone have these things going on?

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi iso1truth,

What you describe is very common. The mind is capable of operating on many different levels at the same time. This is something that becomes painfully obvious when we begin to practice meditation. The best thing to do is just recognize that it is going on while continuing to favor the presence of the mantra. It doesn't do any good to become frustrated by your mental activity. Frustration just makes it worse. It sounds to me as if you're doing just fine. Just continue to favor the presence of the mantra in your sessions and the rest will work it's self out in time.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  04:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly how it is. After 2 years of meditation many of my practiises are still just like that. Sometimes in parts and sometimes throughout the whole period.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  11:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
iso1truth-

I cannot think why deliberate could be anything other than-appropriate...

I can describe a similar event, but not in meditation, as my meditation practise is not stable, consistant, and years in progress.

I will say, my similar experience a few minutes ago turned into a bit of turmoil and anger and then for me, it is a sense of wanting out.

I needed to take my comforter to the cleaners. I have a cat that sleeps in my room at night. and for side tracking-he is a little life saver...his purr and sweetness as he cuddles up near my head make me happy.

anyway, I am calling information(411) for the number to the laundry mat..new one a few miles away....and the name is Lauras...or somehting like that...

so the operator is looking and I get transfered three times....meanwhile my mother--who is involved with her mighty beliefs and opinions is right in the other ear...so I have me restating the info of city and state, and possible laundry name, my mother involving herself with something related to what I am calling about....and being insistant on her info.....and I am trying to tune to the operator giving me the information...which is there is no listing....

so it turns into a scuddle. between my mother and I.....
I stating she is too involved, which she only defends with throw backs from other occasions where I may have needed her help...

in a nuts shell- I would need to soothe out me....can I NOT just state things soflty like...I am on the phone with the operator, can you hold on for a minute, please.....and I realize that I THINK that it is NOT healthy for an adult to live at the home of a parent. esp. from a situation which is what I consider dysfunctional...and I will include myself in with the dysfunction.
I did not get the numbver.
I will have to drive down-and just pay an unkown amount.
I will have to possibly do it myself or pay to have an attendant do it for me....all the things I wanted to find out over the phone.
my mother is too invloved in my life and I wish she would have her own....let me unburden her with me....
don't have to be trying to solve all of my life....when not invited...or suggested...
and getting myself conditioned again that I will need to live on my own...

as far as the meditation--strange that I would want to ask along with you...as if I can't supply the answer myself...but have thoughts going back and forth...meditate, don't meditate, stop all practise, say the mantra, don't say the mantra...say only I am...say shree shree iam....favor the fuzz,,,etc. etc....

I am in the game too, and I am constantly getting smashed as I cross the street...and this is what my mind does to itself...so much so that I don't have my own clarity and certainty. that at times is unsettling..very much so...

so I guess I choose to favor the mantra gently, and it works itself out. possibly.

Go to Top of Page

iso1truth

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  09:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear All. Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts, suggestions, and similar experiences. I am not frustrated by the 3 lanes, but just an observation, and wondering if what I was doing (consciously favoring the mantra back to track 1) was the best course in the AYP method, which it appears it is.

The practice is calming and centering for me, though some sessions are more difficult to get into, though I realize that by my conscious effort, even when things do not seem smooth throughout the session, great good is working within - because I want it with a pure heart.

Thank you all again for taking the time to answer.

.iso.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  12:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As everyone else has said, 3 or more lanes is very common. It is the Ego keeping you busy. Instead of thinking and focusing on the mantra, try just listening to some of your favorite (relaxing) music. Close your eyes and try to really listen, letting the music flow over you. You will find that as you focus that the music it will actually get louder and you will let go of the other tracks. It is hard to overwhelm the other tracks by force, but music can help soothe the savage beast .

Namaste, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is interesting about noticing all these separate tracks of mental activity is that no matter how many of them there are, there is an awareness that can be cognizant of them all at the same time. There is also silence. Although that may be less noticeable at first. No matter how much mental activity is going on, there is still the silence that frames it. So we can have (Mental track 1) + (Mental track 2) + (Mental track 3) + (Mantra) + (Awareness/Witness) + (Silence) all at once.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Nov 27 2010 4:19:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000