Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Headache/pressure & brainfog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  07:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I started practicing again around five days ago. I have been sitting twice daily every day, doing around 3-5 minutes alternative nostril breathing followed by 3-5 minutes of DM. I am 'sensitive' so this is best for me really.

A couple of times after sitting I notice a real rushing in the ears of pressure and sound, dull headache or pressure in head. I am making sure I exercise every other day by running or weightlifting, and will be doing so later today once I have digested my food.

My inclination is towards not straining with any of the techniques, taking it really easy, and I am resting for around 15 minutes after each session.

Tends to be when there is more in my mind, or my partner in bed while I sit.

Any advice? Just a phase?

Jack

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

The best method in such cases is to treat your girlfriend to a shopping spree weekend at your expense .

I've had your symptoms and worse at one point and the best suggestions are to be found in this lesson http://www.aypsite.org/367.html . What I did is to do breathing meditation instead of DM for a few weeks and this way the symptoms went away. I really didn't like replacing DM with breathing meditation because 'it's not the same' and went back as soon as stable but it's better than enduring the physical discomfort of the type you describe and other possible issues. Maybe someone with higher level of sensitivity will be able to give you better hints. I don't consider myself over-sensitive meditator so this was an exception rather than the norm for me. I think your topic is better placed in the 'self-pacing' section of the forum.
Best of luck with your quick return to stability.
Cheers, Lili
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Next time you realize you have a lot on your mind, notice where you are thinking from, then bring your attention down, to your throat, or chest or navel area and think from there. It is not as hard as it sounds. And it helps take the pressure off your head. We tend to live from our heads a lot, we are trained to "think" through everything, so the mind feels overloaded. So the best thing to do is consciously take the focus away from the head and bring it down. It takes some effort at first, but will soon get easier with practice.

Also during meditation, try to not locate your mantra in your head. Try Lesson 368 – The Solar Centering Enhancement. Although it is not recommended for people new to AYP, it has helped many who have experienced excess energy in their head.

Hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  11:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Also during meditation, try to not locate your mantra in your head"

good idea..

"Also during meditation, try to not locate your mantra in your head"

thanks for pointing that out, because I see it is in my head...

maybe that has been stated numerous times, but just now clicks.

sagebrush

Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies.

I am wary of using the mantra modification with all those shree's and om's, I want to avoid crown stimulation.

And breathing meditation is not something I 'want' to do.. face to face with myself like that. I find thoughts are more predominant with the breathing than with mantra.

I did a 5 minute DM sit earlier and again it agitated the headache, even going gently and with 15 minutes rest.

I had a zero balancing session just now, hands-on bodywork that really balanced the energy out. Still some headache but feeling presence in the moment, some cosmic connection and definite connection with the body.

Perhaps breath meditation and patience is the prescription here, then. But mantra is attractive somehow. I feel attempt the solar mantra, though I have only been practicing for a week now anyway.. admittedly with previous experience.

My system did not use to feel this dirty. Perhaps because I was a teenager with no responsibility and no history of substance use! Now I am recovering from substances and dealing with relationships and jobs and the whole shebang.

I used to get blissful light in my spine and open awareness, I guess I am now integrating my personality and body

Jack
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am taking it easy on myself now.. practicing 5 minutes of solar breathing meditatin with 10 minutes rest, twice daily. Trying to get good exercise and bodywork in also. I shall keep this up until December begins, then try around seven and a half minutes.. see if I can get it comfortably up to 10 minutes by new years.

Headaches have reduced considerably.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000