Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Handstands are fun!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Been working on my handstands for a few weeks.

Try putting a picture of sri yantra on the floor 1 ft away from a wall.

Kick up into handstand using the wall if necessary and focus your dhristi on the dot in the center.

You can physically feel the increase in concentration ability.

...and once you can concentrate...anything is possible...

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at a photo recently in a mag...
and it was of a handstand...I think they were on their forearms..and maybe off the wall...it looks to me like it would be difficult, but I like that you are successful after a few weeks and it is inspiring.
thanks for sharing the concentration bit too-
what is dhristi?
I am gonna guess-gaze?

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  1:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sage,

Yes...dhristi is the gaze point. Usually as you move through your asanas each pose has a suggested dhristi to keep the mind concentrated...sometimes it is the tip of your nose...sometimes your navel, a hand, a foot etc.

From my perspective as a 54 yr old male...the handstand is a much easier and safer pose than headstand when using the wall for support since there is no pressure on the neck.

The forearm balance is actually a different pose...feathered peacock or Pincha Mayurasana.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Machart

Once you've mastered kicking up into handstand, try getting into handstand directly from Prasarita Padotanasana, wide leg forward bend. It requires a fair bit more core stability, but really, it is a really neat way to get into handstand. You could also try pushing directly up into handstand from crow pose. Requires a fair amount of tricep strength, but it too is a great way to get comfortable balancing in handstand.

I like the idea of the sri yantra on the floor too....gonna try that

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And for the rest of us, who "once you've mastered kicking up into a handstand" is harder than it sounds,
here's some help:
if you go to this guy's site and give your email so he can send you his thoughts about gymnastics progress, you can get a free 30 minute video on learning handstands. There is a scheduled progression of prep poses, suggestions etc. that makes it much easier:

http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com/

Look for
"Free Video Reveals #1 Secret to Handstand Success" and enter your email.

His emails are good, but if you don't want them, start a free email account and give him that, or just cancel after they start.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Carsonzi Thanks for the input!...It will take me some time before I can do those variations...
I'm uber-bendy...but my core strength definitely needs work for those postures.

@E-fish I watched the video and it had some great tips ... Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am working on the frog stand myself, in hopes of hand balancing later. I can do a handstand, but not very well. As the video shows, there is the arched back and the straight back - super hard looking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000