Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Back and front channel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  3:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I hope somebody can shed some light on a question I have. One of my teachers taught me that in SBP one inhales through the back of the spine, and and exhales through the front of the spine. Until a week ago, I never did this because I found it hard to breath up through the back, and this isn't mentioned in the AYP lessons as well. As a result, when I breath in, it feels like it's located more in de front of the spine. This way energy is pulled up rather easily, and I feel a warm current moving down when I exhale.

Last week during SBP, I tried to breath in trough the back, and although it was a lot harder, I managed to pull some energy up. Moreover, I felt a nice cool current moving up on the back of the spine. I still felt the warm current moving down when I exhaled. After SPB a minty feeling lingers in the lower and middle region of the back for a few hours. Next to that, the left side of my body was very cold during SBP and DM.

So my question is; should I go on like this since it seems to produce some effects which are also mentioned in the lessons, or is 'breath placement' a no no for some reason?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  4:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i don't think it matters, Medea.

i don't do the spinal breathing, so there's the caveat.

someone can correct me here if i'm wrong, but i believe the idea behind spinal breathing is just to get the energy flow from pole to pole.

in general, the unseen intelligence will do all the logistical work. you are responsible for the breathing and sitting and asana practices.

you didn't tell your arms to grow longer when you were a child, did you? in the same way, you do the things you need to do, and the rest happens automatically.

best wishes!

Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  7:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Medea,

In the AYP baseline procedure for SBP, we don't focus on front or back channels, just the simple procedure of tracing from perineum to brow and back. The view is that 90% of the benefit of SBP is gained through visualization along this route coupled with slow breathing. The idea is to keep it simple for maximum effectiveness, and then as you become stable in that practice there are other add-ons that can be introduced such as siddhasana, mulabandha, sambahvi, uddiyana that will increase the overall effectiveness of the baseline procedure.

Obviously, its your choice how you want to proceed, particularly if you are finding good results in your approach; but just be cognizant that it is a bit of a variation relative to what is recommended in the lessons.

Sounds like you are making good progress; I've been having quite a bit of that minty feeling myself lately

Hope this helps!!

Peace

Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  03:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your replies.

quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

The view is that 90% of the benefit of SBP is gained through visualization along this route coupled with slow breathing.

I never managed the visualisation part, however I can clearly feel the energy so I focus on that. I'm not interested in making the practice more complicated, but when I practice SBP, the urge to use the front and back is quite strong. I think I'll just let things run its course and will see what happens.

If there are others who have some input, you're welcome to do so :)
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  8:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The main reason for this practice is to clear out the karmic imprints of your past that are within the central channel also called sushumna. The instruction is to breath through the spinal nerve, more and more getting into it, other than breathing around it.

As this is not so easy in the beginning and even after a phase where it was easy it can again start getting hard as new obstructions/karma is dissolved that temporarily disturbs your concentration.. and this continues many times going deeper into more refined and smaller nadis within the sushumna.

So the advice from Yogani is to start with linking both ends as good as possible without worrying for the in-between route. Over time it gets better and concentration gets more continuous and one day you can see firsthand how this all works and is connected to everything. Then you know that going into sushumna brings all the good things.

Till then happy clearing out whatever is in-between and grossly.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  04:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Holy. That was very helpful. I will take the advice of all who've replied here into account.

Love!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000