New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

quote:
Originally posted by karl

[quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3l30qhEpHw
Nice set of lyrics in this song which fits that perfectly.

Thanks Karl--this was a whole lecture . I am trying to let go using multiple modalities and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't work. How about that?

You can let go in a simple way, it's just your mind making up a thought that it has to be some special key that releases it.

So, just for you I have a fantastic, complex way to get rid of it. Well I have several, but this is one we can do over the internet.

Close your eyes and go back to the time with the workmen, remember when you began to feel those negative emotions and get them to the point when they are strongest around that event.

Make sure you are in the event, looking through your own eyes and when you are ready, pop out of your body and look at the scene with you in it as if it was a frozen picture.

At the bottom of the picture I want you to notice a tiny little coat hook. Take the emotion and hang it on the hook and then get back into your body.

Now, begin to rise up in your body and get above the event, go higher and higher, let the scene below you dwindle into the distance and all the colour fade out like a worn out black and white movie. Fade it completely out.

Continue to float and come down, back into the room, in the present time and open your eyes. Do a few gentle stretching excersises.

Question 1: Think back to that event where you once had that strong negative emotion. Is it there ? That's right it's gone.

Question 2: Now imagine a similar event in the future, where you would have had that same strong negative emotion. See if you can feel it and you may find you cannot.

Come back to Now and do a few light excersises.

You can repeat this as many times as you need to. At some point you might notice there are other events that happened before this event. Just use the same technique, feel the emotion, come out and view the picture, attach emotion to hook, back in body, float up, fade out scene, come back to now and ask yourself those two questions.

Always do the light excersises when you come back into now and again after the questions.

Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Karl--cool technique! At least for some time it seems to work. I guess I will have to repeat it though as not sure it will all disappear in one go. The funny thing is that when I took the emotion to put it on the hook it was looking like a white hospital doctor's coat

Can I have your other several techniques also .
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the train thing. Funnily enough today even before reading your post I was thinking that I am like this exact anecdote you describe as I've heard it before.

I did the inquiry on i have a future as you've given it and it did seem to offer relief, but it only lasted a few seconds (my usual problem with this stuff).

I think I will try the Sedona method--have you got experience with it? In Dutch the Sedona website is called http://www.laatlos.nl/ which literally means letgo.nl .

Feel free to ask questions - you must have patience of a saint not to get bored with me as i'm bored with myself and my issues for a long time now
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4480 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  01:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

The more inner silence we have, the deeper self-inquiry goes. And Self-inquiry helps to bring more peace to the mind, and so more inner silence. It's a two-way thing. So don't despair. It's all there for a reason. And of course yoga brings inner silence, and self-inquiry is yoga too. So everything fits together and works towards the end goal... freedom. Then you don't need any patience any more... patience for what? What is going to happen? You see?

I don't have any experience with the Sedona method, so I can't help there. Let us know what it brings?

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 26 2010 06:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4480 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

Here is another story from India:

There was once a man in India who had had enough of the worldly life. He decided to give up all his possessions and become a Monk. So he went to see a teacher, who told him that he could study under him. The teacher only had a few disciples, so he didn't mind having one more. His teacher asked him if he was really ready to give everything up for the holy life? He replied that he was. So he was instructed to sell everything he had, and give all the money to the poor.

When he had done this he came back to his teacher, and his teacher gave him 3 things... a cloth to put around his waist, a pot to collect his alms food in every day, and a stick to help him walk.

The teacher and his disciples set out into the desert together. On the first day the teacher said they should fast that day. On the second day again he said they should fast. On the third day they came to a lake. "You are dirty", the teacher said to the man, "go down to the lake and wash".

Whilst he was washing, the teacher took the man's pot, his stick and his loin cloth and he and the other disciples went and hid behind some trees. When the man came out of the lake, he was so angry, he started shouting and hopping up and down. The teacher came out from behind the trees laughing his head off. He said: "3 days ago you told me you were ready to give up all worldly possessions. And now look at you. In the whole world you only own three things, and you are acting like a madman."

This is the power that maya has over the soul.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the enouragement. The issue is that I just want to feel OK all the time NOW--the fact that I may or may not get "there" (where ) in 20 years is of little comfort NOW. (the caps are don't mean showting btw--just emphasizing the importance of now ).

The Sedona method is interesting--similar somewhat to BK and the method shared up above by Karl. It consists of 5 steps:
1. Giving the negative feeling or physical sensation space--e.g. imagining the negative feeling b-n your hands and spreading them out.
2. Asking the question: Can I let this go? (answer is always Yes :)
3. Asking the question: Do I want to (answer is again yes)
4. Asking the question: When? (now :)
5. Imagining the negative feeling going out (e.g. visualizing it as smoke or something similar like that)

Like the story--it's funny but not sure how to apply it as already know I am not ready for becoming a monk and stuff

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

As others have said in many different ways, the key is forgiveness. Anger is used by the Ego to strengthen the separation. Any mental tool to help with the forgiveness will work. Some like the concept of Divine grace - put the memory in a ball and imagine a divine light from above dematerializing it. I have found humor helpful - imagine it being eaten by something stupid (like the kids dinosaur Barney). If you can learn to laugh at (and with) yourself, it makes it all easier.

Namaste, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  11:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks Karl--cool technique! At least for some time it seems to work. I guess I will have to repeat it though as not sure it will all disappear in one go. The funny thing is that when I took the emotion to put it on the hook it was looking like a white hospital doctor's coat

Can I have your other several techniques also .

Yes, you will need to repeat it.

Is the white doctors coat significant ?

For the other techniques you could try EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), google it, it's a series of tappings which release emotion.

Timeline therapy is very useful but needs a skilled practitioner present as it needs to be taught. I based the 'little hook in the corner' around it.

Something else to try is to imagine a certain situation and the people involved. Pop into the person you having conflict with and through their eyes, consider what you are saying and how you are behaving (can be quite a shock).

Then become a fly on the wall and watch yourself (not unlike the witness), do the same again. Pop back into your own body and see what you learned.

Or just do the AYP practise. Nothing fancy to learn and a whole bunch of great people helping you out when things get difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4480 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

quote:

Like the story--it's funny but not sure how to apply it as already know I am not ready for becoming a monk and stuff

I wasn't suggesting that you should become a renunciate. No need for that. It was just a story to show how even people who have supposedly renounced the world, and let go of all their possessions, still hold onto things. It's really the deepest and only problem in the world.

quote:

The Sedona method is interesting--similar somewhat to BK and the method shared up above by Karl. It consists of 5 steps:
1. Giving the negative feeling or physical sensation space--e.g. imagining the negative feeling b-n your hands and spreading them out.
2. Asking the question: Can I let this go? (answer is always Yes :)
3. Asking the question: Do I want to (answer is again yes)
4. Asking the question: When? (now :)
5. Imagining the negative feeling going out (e.g. visualizing it as smoke or something similar like that)

Sounds pretty much like what we have been doing together in this thread, no?

quote:

The issue is that I just want to feel OK all the time NOW--the fact that I may or may not get "there" (where ) in 20 years is of little comfort NOW. (the caps are don't mean showting btw--just emphasizing the importance of now ).

Yes, it's right here, right now. Always. It's just that sometimes some inner housecleaning is needed before we can see it (as Yogani so often says).

A few days ago a friend of mine told me that he wasn't interested in enlightenment, he just wanted to find peace, and to love everyone in the world.

Right here.

Right now.

You won't find it anywhere else.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Why is holding on to stuff a problem? I don't see anything wrong with holding on to the stuff that you like. What's the problem with this? Cheers, Lili
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Christi,

Why is holding on to stuff a problem? I don't see anything wrong with holding on to the stuff that you like. What's the problem with this? Cheers, Lili

Hi Lili:

Nothing wrong with enjoying life, while knowing that all things pass. It makes life all the more precious and sacred. But "holding on" to it leads to disappointment, because circumstances will change. As the Buddha taught, "Attachment is the root of all suffering."

To hold on or not to hold on is not a mental exercise. It isn't like that. When it is viewed this way, it is "non-relational" (in the mind, not in stillness), and will lead to even more suffering. The way to have everything and be bound by nothing is to cultivate and come to live in the permanence of abiding inner silence, becoming the essence of stillness in action. Then life is a flow of loving joy in all things, and there is no suffering in the constant comings and goings of life.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  06:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thanks--it seems cultivating permanent abiding inner silence can take decades if not more. Guess all forum members here are busy with a daily practice so working towards this, present company included.

I was just testing the water in case someone found a shortcut in the meantime

Cheers,
Lili

Edited by - Lili on Dec 08 2010 06:50:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4480 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  01:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Christi,

Yogani said it a lot better than I could have done. Thanks Yogani.

quote:

I was just testing the water in case someone found a shortcut in the meantime

There is only one shortcut, and that's devotion. If you can cultivate intense desire for truth, then you can bypass a lot of the other sadhana.

As to how to cultivate intense desire for truth (bakti)... it sounds like you've got it already.

All the best,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  08:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

If your position is that everything is OK as it is what are we doing here? Let's close down the forum pack our bags and get busy being happy with everything as it is .

If anyone has any useful tool or hint to add concerning the issues as listed in this thread plase ignore the party line and post it here

Cheers, Lili
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  04:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lili - it just occurred to me that it might be helpful for you to do shadow work on this? I'm a member of an online group that does this - led by Scott Kiloby. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the details.

Basically shadow work is about identifying traits in others that are disturbing to us, and then we do the shadow work 1-2-3 process on it. It's very freeing - I recently did this on 'bullying' - and it was effective for me. Maybe it might be worth doing the process on 'cheating'?

Just had the idea it might be useful for you
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  10:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Amoux--thanks for that. Sure pls send me the details Cheers, Lili
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili - here's a link to Scott's (quite lengthy!) article about shadows and shadow work. He suggests reading that first, before starting the process (or read a few threads in the group to get an idea of how it works):

http://www.kiloby.com/writings.php?...ritingid=263

The group is on Yahoo, and is called Kiloby's Closet of Shadows Here's a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KilobysShadows/

Edited by - amoux on Dec 15 2010 11:05:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000