Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 agitation headache
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi to anyone reading-

I read part of the ayp book last night on meditation. So in the book when it said to stop and meditate, I did.

This is what I came up with...repeating the mantra even a few times..trying to keep track of it, induced a headache. SO I stopped and had tea. I went back and tried again and found myself really agitated with noise that I could here as I was getting nestled into my inner world. The sound of someone putting the dishes away, the very sound of the silverware and the measuring cup...put me to the edge. I kept wanting in to my queit space.....
and figured that this was not the best time to meditate. My son and I were on his bed, as he was doing homework...I was reading the book...my mother I could hear was putting away the dishes. Which brings me also during this time-recall of being a child and despising that sound..it always seems to get created at the most unpleasant hours..like at 6- 6:30 am...or late into the evening.

there is something comforting about getting quiet inside. I can see how this can be a very good thing overall.

Who knows what tomorrow brings as I continue meditation. Today or this morning I am waiting to drink coffeee and eat. I can also see that I am going to be very late just incorporating meditation. But I want to continue to move forward and work it into my life.

Many of the readers here I can see are light years involved with their meditation...I am going to have to sit here and be humiliated by my own thoughts of not even having tried the training wheels...
it seems as though now the baby(me) is opening here eyes and is wanting out of her stinky diapers and into some stability..and peace.

I also think the guru- messes with my head.

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  09:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage,

Congradulations ! That's great that you found some peace inside.

O.K. Here's the thing... and it's the biggest thing.

The sound of the dishes, are not a distraction during meditation.

If you read the Deep Meditation book, you can see that nowhere will it say, "if your mum is doing the dishes, you'll have to give up and try again later when she's in bed. " I can guarantee that's not in the book. Or any book on meditation. The sound is there. The mantra is there. And space is there, allowing both to exist. It is the space that we are opening to during meditation, and that is the key.

If your mum is doing the dishes, that's great, because it means you don't have to, so that frees up some time so you can meditate. You have a lot to thank her for!

Meditation is about making peace with what is happening. Whatever is happening. That's the secret to joy, and to freedom, and what meditation is all about. In fact it's what the whole of the spiritual path is about. Bringing you to that place.

Wishing you all the best.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  11:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sage I think its great that you are devoted to moving forward in your life, best of luck trust me a lot of us still have the training wheels on too!
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the headache may have come from sugar which I ate before starting.

no biggy, I can slowly keep balancing how much I get.

the sound of the dishes was making me feel irritable...yes I am sure I have alot to thank her for....

isn't it best I go to my room and when my son is busy with a task without disruption or the sound of the dishes echoing down the hall--
go into my rooom and close the door?

and I forgot to mention that I had some sweat pants over my eyes because of the bedroom ceiling light and my son kept pulling that off my face....he was enjoying that---

thanks for the reminder about my mum...
I need to get over my grouchy crap amd resentment.

sometimes in the day I say self pace..when my mind is going fast....or realize that I have a tendency to overload...
and now and then I find some quiet moment and I like that....in the construction zone...

thanks for anyones response, I appreciate it and like a different perspective.

thanks

Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  04:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi! The following words for me were very profound :

The sound is there. The mantra is there. And space is there, allowing both to exist. It is the space that we are opening to during meditation, and that is the key.

This holds true for almost every situation. This seems to be the key to managing distraction and nondistraction. - a realisation after reading your words!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  04:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage,
quote:

isn't it best I go to my room and when my son is busy with a task without disruption or the sound of the dishes echoing down the hall--
go into my rooom and close the door?

Yes, of course it is better. Ask your mum to look after your son for half an hour.... go to your own room, turn the light down, or off. You won't need to put any pants on your head (or trousers as we say over here )

Just remember, there will always be distractions. Sometimes they are external, sometimes they are internal. If nothing is distracting us from the outside, then the mind creates it's own distractions. It is really good at it. So developing the ability to accept whatever happens with grace is really important. Otherwise meditation will just be a frustrating activity which won't go far.

All the best,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  05:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage890
I went back and tried again and found myself really agitated with noise that I could here as I was getting nestled into my inner world.

I made a similar agitated post a few months ago:

The Crow
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7407

But sooner this agitation moulded into a beautiful mantra in itself.

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  07:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In early stages distractions are more irritating than later when you get more established. The mind also pulls little tricks. I remember the first few times that I did the AYP mantra meditation and I kept thinking of all these things that I needed to get done. Then I reminded myself that if I was watching TV or on the computer that I could forget about hours without effort, therefore doing the practice was what I had to get done at that moment. These kinds of things will come up, its just mental resistance, it will pass. Eventually one looks forward to practice time as a very restful yet productive part of the day, it just takes awhile for that to get established. In the meantime all sorts of little reactions come up. Let them come up and let them go, they will pass, it is all the purification process.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  7:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You've gotten some good advice here, and it's true that as you progress the external sounds do not bother you so much. But when you are just getting started with your practice it's very helpful to have some time to yourself while no one will interrupt you. Initially the interruptions just add to the effort of trying to get the hang of meditation. When I first began meditating again after a very long break, I told my children they must not interrupt unless the house is on fire. At first it was hard for them but then they got used to it. Sounds like your son is rather young so as Christi suggested ask your mom to watch him for 20 minutes or so. Every parent deserves a few minutes to themselves each day! Also, in the past I have used those soft spongy ear plugs that can be found in any pharmacy, they really work great to help you to not focus on what's going on outside of you! But again, when you've become skilled at meditation you could do it anywhere and you would not be distracted. It's a skill so give yourself a chance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000