Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Can I decrease those 20 minutes in DM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NatanEpsilon

Fyro Macedonia
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  03:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I'm practicing DM more than 3 months and I'm getting in period when I don't have any motivation for doing it. I found that the period of 1 hour meditation is overwhelming for me. I practice 10 minutes Pranayama, 20 minutes DM and 15-20 minutes of Samyama. With 10 minutes rest, that would be an hour of meditating. I found that the first step in overwhelming was when I put more sutras than the initial 9 in the Samyama practice. I will back my practice of doing only those 9 initial sutras and practice the Samyama practice in about 10 minutes. The question I wanna ask is related to that 20 minutes of doing I AM practice. Is there something particular important in doing this meditation exactly 20 minutes? I know that there're practices where from the participants is asked to repeat the mantra/affirmation exact 108 times and similar stuffs. So is this 20 minutes related to some entering particular state of mind which can be entered with exact 20 minutes only? What if I decrease the time of practice on 15 or 10 minutes? I found that when I'm doing out of regular Samyama practice in which I'm practice DM about 10 minutes, I have exact amount of inner silence (stillness) like I have in regular practicing of DM every morning and evening. So, any opinions? I need a concrete answer on my question. :)

Best,
Natan

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  04:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Natan,

Yes, you can decrease the meditation time if you want. You can cut back your samyama practice to the basic 9 sutras... or less if you need to, and you can cut back spinal breathing if you want to. There is nothing sacred, and everything is sacred.

You can also cut down shavasana (corpse pose) to just a few minutes at the end if you want. So if one hour of practices twice a day is becoming too much, you can cut back to half an hour or so. The important thing is to find a routine which you are comfortable with and which you can maintain over the longterm.

When inner obstructions are being released, this is when an hour of practice feels like too much. Later on, it will not feel like enough.

Enjoy,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

NatanEpsilon

Fyro Macedonia
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  04:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi,
I kind of needed to hear this. I was thinking that if I decrease the time of DM it would not be effective at all.

Thank you again,
Natan
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Natan:

You can tailor your practice time to whatever is comfortable for you.
See Lesson 209 at http://www.aypsite.org/209.html
It can help with prioritizing your practices into whatever time frame you are using.

It is suggested to keep a stable routine as much as you are able, whether is it is 30 minutes, 40 minutes, or whatever.

Also, going to an AYP retreat can help break through any doldrums in a hurry. If there isn't one available near you, then consider setting one up in your area. If you can arrange for a facility, we can probably provide a leader and help find participants.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  2:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Better doing less than none at all.

Sometimes I'm short of time in the morning, or have something which has to be done and have no time at all.

On a morning I will do anything between 5 and 2 minutes pranayama, sometimes if I feel kranky or a bit side tracked by an impending event I will knock back the DM to 10 minutes.

During holidays, or when I feel unwell then I will stop all AYP and resume when time and body free up.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  4:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Natan,

I'm also still a beginner but what you wrote down sounded familiar. In my humble opinion, you can experiment with the times you take for everything.

I started out with 5 minutes of SBP and 10 minutes of DM. After a while, I wanted to expand my practices so I started doing DM for 15 minutes. After a few days, I felt very frustrated and demotivated (still don't know why, it just didn't feel 'right'), ready to give up. So I brought DM time back to 10 minutes and everything was fine again. A while later I added 5 extra minutes to SBP. The effect it had was the exact opposite; lots of good stuff happening and motivation trough the roof :)

So my advice would be to be creative and find a balance that works for you. More 'unorthodox' time frames can work just as well. The most important thing is to keep going. Good luck!

Edited by - Medea on Oct 28 2010 4:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

NatanEpsilon

Fyro Macedonia
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  04:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys, thanks for the answers.

Yogani, I must admit that I didn't understand of what kind of retreat you're talking. English is not my first language, though I know the exact religious meaning of the term "retreat" I don't understand of what kind of AYP Retreat you're talking.. Are you talking about creating some organized group of AYP practitioners in my environment?

Medea, exactly! When I back again on 10 minutes DM 10 minutes Pranayama and 10 minutes Samyama, I get back the motivation again. Now I'm WILLING to do the meditation! Now I can see that self-pacing is one of the most important thing in all these techniques here.

Karl, Better doing less than none at all.
Exactly! :)

Thanks again to All for your answers!
Natan

Edited by - NatanEpsilon on Oct 29 2010 04:49:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  06:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]Originally posted by NatanEpsilon
Yogani, I must admit that I didn't understand of what kind of retreat you're talking. English is not my first language, though I know the exact religious meaning of the term "retreat" I don't understand of what kind of AYP Retreat you're talking.. Are you talking about creating some organized group of AYP practitioners in my environment?

Hi Natan,

Last weekend there has been a 3-day gathering (retreat) of AYP followers in the US. It proved very beneficial for the participants. You can read about it here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8625. The idea is to organize such events all over the world.
Go to Top of Page

NatanEpsilon

Fyro Macedonia
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  07:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you Medea.

I live in small country (Macedonia) so I don't know anyone from here who's AYP "follower", but I'm looking forward to meet somebody from this Balkan countries and maybe we can organize some retreat in the future here also..
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NatanEpsilon

Thank you Medea.

I live in small country (Macedonia) so I don't know anyone from here who's AYP "follower", but I'm looking forward to meet somebody from this Balkan countries and maybe we can organize some retreat in the future here also..

Maybe it is an idea to ask Yogani to put your contact info here http://www.aypsite.org/events.html? If people from the Balkans are looking for contact your name will pop up :)

BTW; glad to hear your motivation to practice is back! All the best to you.
Go to Top of Page

NatanEpsilon

Fyro Macedonia
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  06:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Medea

quote:
Originally posted by NatanEpsilon

Thank you Medea.

Maybe it is an idea to ask Yogani to put your contact info here http://www.aypsite.org/events.html? If people from the Balkans are looking for contact your name will pop up :)

BTW; glad to hear your motivation to practice is back! All the best to you.

Yes, that is a good idea. Thank you Medea!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000