AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Diverse Awakenings: Spontaneous vs. Planned
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  2:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd been thinking about the difference between spontaneous K awakenings and awakenings that are sought after.

Then I read Christi quoting Lesson 85:

quote:
This is premature awakening, and is the cause of most extreme kundalini experiences. It is a tricky business, because someone may not have done any kundalini stimulation in this life and still be susceptible to premature kundalini awakening. Their nervous system seems to be wired for it.

The awakening I've experienced was spontaneous. It was and still is extreme, although I am much better equipped to handle it now.

I've noticed quite a few discrepancies between my experience and the experience of a lot of others (admittedly gleaned from AYP posts).

I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that spontaneous K seems to be so much more extreme than the K experience of those who have endeavored to awaken it with intention.

My experience has been that there is little choice in the matter. Once the process begins, there is no stopping it. But the ticket, take the ride (even if one didn't buy the ticket).

I would imagine that this results from the concept that those with spontaneous K have nervous system's that are somehow ready for K, though they haven't done any purification beforehand. This is what Lesson 85 is getting at.

Seems to me, there must be a genetic component to it as well. That is, if genetics determines the sensitivity level of the person. Because we can say that sensitivity is the barometer for the quality of the experience.

Given that we're all trying to sort out how this whole K consciousness works, it's intriguing to get a better handle on the different types of experiences that people have.

I would like to hear from people that have cultivated K through years of practice.

And also from people with spontaneous K.

I am sure Yogani also has some thoughts on the matter and I'm sure everyone would appreciate his viewpoint.

Tell us what your experience has been! What do you think?

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  2:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool post tonightsthenight K has always fascinated me too.
Mine was I guess spontaneously awakened about 8 months ago, or maybe I asked for it and didnt realize what i was asking for. I had bought the book the Essence of the Bhagavad Gita, was reading it in bed and suddenly the first few chapters struck something very deep within me, it just felt real. I knew God to be real at that point and asked to know Him, really know him. For the next couple of hours I had fiery spasms of electrical currents running up and down my back from the base to the center of my forehead,i had no idea what was happening (had never even heard of K or experienced anything similiar). I was pretty much paralyzed for the duration of it but not afraid. The next couple of days my body felt like it had fought off a huge cold/flu, just sore and achey everywhere, oddly really depressed, everything felt distant and unreal.
The genetics part of your post is interesting, being I have a twin sis who hasnt had her K awakened yet, but we are as close as you can get biologically.
Well, theres my two cents
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool of you to share!

I'm interested to know how the intensity of the K has continued since that day. Does it run really high most days?

My experience was that the intensity pretty much stayed at 90-100% for the first three years, then waned a bit as I was compelled to focus more an ego/worldly matters, then came back strong at 100% after that bit.

Interestingly enough, my awakening similarly occurred when i basically told "god", look, i want to know what's really going on with this thing! Although looking back on it there were some clues that this would one day happen with me, regardless.

Thanks for contributing!

Do you mind sharing a few more details?
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Would say that spontaneous is another word for a delayed effect. Even if the causes go back to many years, decades or lives.

Had many K experiences and most of them were controlled, at least the awakening part. The very first few ones were substance induced. The much greater ones in amount were pranayama induced. Many others came through meditation (different styles). Had some shaktipats as well. In few instances music or other dramatic life situations/choices were the reason (effect of complex causes in the past). And so on...

K never stayed "on" as you'd stay by itself and always went sleeping after some time. It is also said, that there are 7 layers of K that can awaken. I could at least differentiate 3 layers or grades of intensity.

I'm only aware of Gopi Krishna's K awakening which was one of those more deeper ones that once started never stopped again. Ok, at least in his case the cause was very big (17 years daily hours-long meditation upon the crown chakra).

When it comes to the genetic component: what do you think is karma? =)

Edit: Some K awakenings were bandha and mudra induced, espcially mula bandha, aswini mudra and sambhavi mudra. Today K is stimulated gently more and more through a combination of all these elements which seems to be the most stable and easy approach for the body.

Edited by - Holy on Oct 24 2010 3:52:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  4:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is really interesting to hear Holy! Thanks for sharing

So you're saying that you have individual K experiences rather then a continuous experience? Very interesting. I wonder how many people this is true for?

Can you explain this sentence more?:
quote:
Would say that spontaneous is another word for a delayed effect. Even if the causes go back to many years, decades or lives.

I had never done anything spiritual in my life before K, for what it's worth. And I certainly never heard of K or prana (except for the rock climbing equipment company) or anything!

Do you think that you will eventually experience K 24/7? Or do you suppose it will continue in much the manner that it has?

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  5:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Would say that spontaneous is another word for a delayed effect

Agreed. Certainly in my own experience, I'd done a huge amount of energy work over more than 20 years, a lot of study, meditation, practice, 'the Work', studying so many different belief systems, techniques and approaches - and in retrospect there were openings there, but the real k-moving stuff came after I had given up and embraced atheism like a drowning woman

Then hell opened up and I wouldn't wish my particular experience on anybody. Spontaneous kundalini rising was terrifying to me because I truly believed I was losing my mind (and not in a 'good' way!) It took the best part of a year to work out what was going on, another six months to gradually (very gradually) begin to work towards establishing a regular practice - then finding AYP a year ago and that giving me a solid foundation to build on.

By way of info - the physical symptoms were such that they were immediately obvious to those around me - a 70lb weight loss in a period of six weeks, physical vibration visible from 10 feet away, moving from hypo (underactive) thyroid to hyper (overactive) thyroid overnight - constant freezing chills and high temperatures within minutes of each other, inability to take any medication at all (which made trying to stabilise the thyroid virtually impossible for 3 months), spontaneous orgasm, oversensitivity to many household chemicals - massive allergic skin reactions to many household items I'd used with no problems in the past, total disruption to sleep pattern ... I could go on and on, but it was no picnic. To put it mildly.

Yogani is so right - it's not a sprint, it's a marathon
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  5:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I dont mind sharing at all, although i know pretty much nothing about whats going on in my body K has been pretty intense for me ever since it was awakened...when it first happened i wasnt aware of it as much so i didnt know what was causing the rapid mood changes, diet change, insomnia, etc. i felt like i was going nuts but i was also aware something important had happened and was happening and that i needed to continue searching. I had meditated before but practicing the AYP approach really turned things around for the K and i, i felt like less of a victim and began to very much enjoy our relationship. on most days its pretty active, i can always 'feel' it if that makes sense and its pretty sensitive, so gotta watch the practices but wouldnt give it up for anything!
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  6:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by faileforever

I dont mind sharing at all, although i know pretty much nothing about whats going on in my body K has been pretty intense for me ever since it was awakened...when it first happened i wasnt aware of it as much so i didnt know what was causing the rapid mood changes, diet change, insomnia, etc. i felt like i was going nuts but i was also aware something important had happened and was happening and that i needed to continue searching. I had meditated before but practicing the AYP approach really turned things around for the K and i, i felt like less of a victim and began to very much enjoy our relationship. on most days its pretty active, i can always 'feel' it if that makes sense and its pretty sensitive, so gotta watch the practices but wouldnt give it up for anything!

I can identify with not having a clue about what's going on, for sure!

And also that "something important had happened" like you said... but i definitely had no idea what other than "god" was up in my thing.

Amoux,

that is really cool, thanks for sharing it

So you did about 20 years of practice beforehand?

And that this must have prepared your nervous system for K to come?

And yet, you still had a pretty extreme and disruptive awakening it sounds like. Very interesting.

I can empathize with a lot of your symptoms. Pretty crazy with the thyroid stuff, i've never had any experiences with that. I'm sure it's correlated with your weight loss.

Did you have an underlying thyroid issue before the K?
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  7:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - it had been underactive for several years, and I was on medication to correct it.

I agree with you that the thyroid issue had an effect on the sudden weight loss, but interestingly enough the weight loss was ongoing before the other hyperthyroid symptoms manifested themselves. I ended up on no medication at all and was still euthyroid (clinically 'normal' thyroid function) for three months after coming off all meds. The doctors (and I) were going crazy trying to work out what was happening.

I should add that it took 15 months of blood tests every 12 weeks to finally get the thyroid stabilised - the fluctuations were such that dosage of meds had to be constantly adjusted.

Edited by - amoux on Oct 24 2010 8:19:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  12:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me cut and paste from my blog many years ago now--sorry it's so much:
In February of 2004, my wife was diagnosed with a rare and generally fatal cancer. She underwent 9 hours of surgery, 12 weeks of daily simultaneous radiation and chemotherapy, and then 5 more months of chemo. During the darkest days of her illness, two very important things happened to me. First, I gained a sense of calm joyous energy, an acceptance which enabled me to persevere. It propelled me through the harrowing late night drives in ice and snow home from her Intensive Care bedside, to my frightened son, who had already lost one mother–to care for him, cook, clean, shop, do laundry, pick up the pieces. Our daughter had just left for her Junior Year Abroad program in Cape Town, South Africa, and dealing with her emotional crisis at such a distance was yet another, different kind of demand. Yet, somehow, I managed. I did better than manage–I blossomed. I felt myself growing in physical, emotional and spiritual strength throughout that winter and spring of 2004. When she came home from the hospital, all my energy went into her recovery, or into keeping her comfortable during whatever time she might have left. They didn’t give us too much hope during those days, and the radiation and chemo treatments made her appear close to death much of the time. Yet my inner core remained unshaken, steady, assured that because light was everywhere, she and I would never be out of that light, and always be together.

The second thing that happened to me was more dramatic. I spent about 4 months of total celibacy, enforced by my wife’s illness, and my own hectic schedule and the demands on my body, emotions and time. I never really even noted it to myself, I was just too busy, so much of my energy consumed in staying balanced and whole. In early May of 2004, I had, while lying in bed one night awaiting sleep, a profound sense of “itching” in the region around the base of my spine–not outside on the skin, but deeply within. My awareness was automatically drawn to this sensation, and as it was, my conscious awareness had the perception of scratching this itch. Suddenly, I felt an unwinding sensation below the base of my spine, behind my genitals, as if a coiled spring was uncoiling. The uncoiling energy quickly resolved itself into something giving a serpent-like impression. This snake energy then quickly raised itself from what seemed like hatching from an egg, and traveled up my spine in the form of a liquid light or a liquid fire, illuminating and energizing various parts of my physiology as it rose. This took place over a period of perhaps nearly an hour, and occasionally during this time, my body would shake or twitch, violently at times, and my breath would change dramatically, all by itself. I had absolutely no clue as to what might be happening, but it was neither painful nor particularly frightening, so I did not resist it. When this liquid serpent energy reached my head, it erupted there with a blaze of light and a rushing sound like a strong wind, a sort of “Whooooosshhh!”, which continued for quite some time. I lay there in bed all night like that, engulfed with this light, energy and noise, my body vibrating, and a feeling that I was not only IN my body, but that my presence was extending outward into the room beyond the boundaries of my physical being.

That first morning, having not slept a wink, I got out of the shower and looked out of the eastward-facing bathroom window at the spring sunrise. As the sun rose, the light pouring forth from my head and the sunlight streaming into the window merged into an overwhelming unity which caused my body to become weightless, elastic, electric and expanded my awareness almost infinitely outward. I floated like that, dripping dry in the sun, not understanding anything, for what seemed like hours, days, perhaps years. I almost feared moving–I did not wish to go back into the bedroom and alarm my wife with the electrical storms I felt must be raging about my head. But only a few minutes had passed, and she noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I dressed and went to work, somehow, not doing, only being. Later that night, after checking my e-mail, I ventured into the Yahoo! Yoga Chat Room, an interesting discussion forum I’d just discovered a few weeks before. There, a gentleman and I began a discussion which led to my describing my experiences of the previous 24 hours. This man, a Qigong student (sometimes spelled Chi Gong or Chi Kung), who I knew only as “Eightlimbedyogi”, told me that I had narrated a classic description of Kundalini Awakening. He told me a little about what that meant, but said it was much too complex for him to cover in such a forum, and he pointed me to the works of an Indian author named Gopi Krishna. I ordered a book by Mr. Krishna, Googled “kundalini” and read some on-line information, trying to allow body, mind, emotions, sensations, perceptions, spirit and universe to come to some equilibrium. I felt, powerful, balanced, centered, yet oddly delicate, fragile. I walked about as if in some strange dream for the next few days, still flooded with this energy flow. The world looked and sounded different, smelled and tasted different, felt physically different–more alive, pulsating, streaming with a force I had somehow never noticed before.

My kundalini experience continued unabated from the beginning of May through the close of the school year in late June. After school let out we sent our son off to camp and, with my wife just finished with her radiation and first round of chemo, took a much-needed vacation to the Mayan Riviera village of Playa del Carmen. Our villa was in a jungle enclave, the beach was soft white sand and the sun shone ceaselessly. After we arrived, unpacked, had dinner and strolled the beach a bit, we returned to our room. One thing led to another… I slept that night, for the first time since my awakening seven week previously.

The next morning, I awoke before dawn. Something was different. I walked down to the beach, eager to greet the sunrise over the Caribbean and merge with it, join its powerful light and beautiful energy with that of my own. The sun rose. Nothing happened. The energy was, I noticed for the first time in weeks, gone. The light in my head, the rushing sound, the flow up my spine–gone. That now-familiar sensation of my awareness extending out of my body, beyond the bounds of my physical self, was gone. There was a sort of dull staleness, like a once-bubbly champagne gone flat. Bewildered and a bit disappointed, I went back to bed. One thing led to another, and a different sort of fire was re-ignited…

It was not until I returned home a week later, picked up my mail and began reading that book I had ordered by Gopi Krishna, that I began to understand the connections and implications of my once flowing but now ebbing kundalini experiences. It took a long period of research, study, experimentation and analysis to figure out that it was my months of celibacy, on top of my 30+ years of meditation and yoga practices, which had sparked my kundalini awakening. It was the breaking of celibacy which halted it. I came to comprehend that a period of total celibacy of at least six weeks, and sometimes 12, was necessary to re-ignite that energy flow. I learned how celibacy worked in kundalini, that it is the retention of semen and its transubstantiation into a subtle substance called ojas which nourishes the serpent power sufficiently for it to awaken.

That's what I wrote then--life has, obviously, not stayed there. My wife died of her cancer in April 2007. I remarried in August 2008. My inner spiritual experiences have developed in fits and starts since then, too complex and numerous to catalog here. Hope this is of some help.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wow that is a great story mikkiji, thank you so much for sharing that! so many intense experiences together. and you had over 30 years of yoga practice behind you? that is very admirable

do you still find that celibacy is tied to your kundalini process?
i have found no correlation between the two, so it is interesting idea for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000