Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 AYP and where I stand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  11:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I stumbled on AYP and started on it from December 12.I was very impressed with my first experiences in spinal breathing and meditation sessions.Now two months later I am really hooked on it.I cannot be without the two sessions of meditation and spinal breathing.However like all other things in my life I think I may have hit a plateau stage.My experiments with Moola bandha, Sambhavi mudra and siddhasana, isnt taking of very well.Moola bandha is ok but I tend to forget and get lost in the spinal breathing.Maybe things will progress.Not that I am complaining because as it is Im very happy, but will that happiness become a block for progress, seniers please comment

mystiq

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 9:00:41 PM

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  12:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a LOT to have added on in only 2.5 months. Please reread Yogani's cautions on self-pacing. AYP goes slooooowly.

Happiness is good. Mania, where you get over enthused and load on too many practices, is not. You must judge this yourself, and adjust your practices accordingly.

Meditation is enough. The other stuff is add-ons. Don't add on until you are very very smooth and unconfused with what you're already doing. Yogani suggests we wait months between new add-ons. Maybe years. Meditation, again, is enough, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  01:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mystiq,

I agree with Jim... that is a lot to take on in just 2 months. It's natural to get excited and eager to add on a lot of practices at the beginning. I added too many practices early on, and got burnt-out for a while. Remember that this is powerful stuff and sometimes there is a delayed result - you may not feel the effects of practices right away. Plateaus are natural too - believe me, you will surpass them.

I'm happy you've found AYP and are seeing positive results
Go to Top of Page

satyan

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  06:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit satyan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mystiq,

I think Jim and cosmic troll are correct, 2 months is too short to judge anything. experiences are real guide to anyone as yogani would say "the guru is in you". may be since you read it and practice it, you may have the experiences initially but i think the true marker of your progress will be either the expansion of inner silence or outflow of bhakthi. you are on the right path and stick to it.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lot you can do with just meditation and spinal breathing. i have meditated for years, but am mainly concentrating on those two.
What I'm working on is during spinal breathing, going slowly and trying to visualize clearly inside my body each area of the spine. Make sure your visualization at the top goes to the third eye in the forehead, not visual eyes.

Then in meditation I'm working on not moving my vocal cords with the sounds and not localizing the sound in the throat. This stuff comes easy to some people, but I need to work on it a lot.
As you concentrate on the sound, your thoughts get quieter and you can go deeper. You can really get a lot of results out of the meditation and spinal breathing without needing to add anything!

No, happiness isn't a block to progress, but "expecting results" can be. Just keep doing the practices twice a day without worrying about progress, and your life will steadily improve. Sometimes you won't feel the improvement, sometimes you will, but over a period of time you get happier.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 26 2006 09:52:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  11:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The other question is what is meant by "Happiness".

A certain amount of bliss/ecstacy comes from opening. It's VERY easy to get addicted to this, and thirst for more and more opening to keep that fire roaring. This is what causes overdoing in yoga asana (trying desperately to recoup that "old feeling" you had in your five minute headstand by doing a twenty minute headstand, etc etc), and in other practices, as well.

What we're shooting for is a calm, warm glow. A feeling of contentment. Peaceful happiness. The more dramatic, manic ecstasy is something to be patiently experienced and allowed to fade to the warm glow. It comes, it goes, but the glow remains.

One will burn out by pushing/straining for more and more bliss. And the glow is nicer, anyway, you quickly find.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  5:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking about the feeling that "everything is OK", and "this is nice";
nothing profound, but if you don't have it, it's like a drink of water in the desert.
Go to Top of Page

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  04:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Jim, Ether and Satyan, The happness I was referring to is just a simple happiness after the practice which stays for a long time. If someting comes in the way of practice, like a visitor, then I feel a little down, so I tell them to wait for a few minutes and instead of the usual 30min I just do for 10 min and Im happy again.During the first few weeks of practise the effects were very discernable after every session.Now its just the happiness.

mystiq
Go to Top of Page

satyan

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit satyan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi mystiq,

be careful not to just stick with that happiness. there are loads and loads coming all along the way!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000