AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Energy, Purification, and Pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windarra

6 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit windarra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Group,

I have only posted once, a couple years ago, but have some questions for you.

I started meditating (mostly Zen) about 20 years ago, added some basic yoga in 7 years ago, then expanded it, and have since added other eclectic practices over more recent times. I started the AYP lessons almost 2 years ago, but was already doing some variations of some of them already.

Especially over the last 7 years, I have had many signs of what I assume are energy purifictaion, cleansing, etc., including profuse sweating during yoga and even meditation sometimes, ringing in my ears, pressure in my head, kryas, buzzing in my head, seeing lights, mild vertigo, unusual physical detox symptoms, chest tightness, I could probably go on all day.

None of the symptoms have been unpleasant except the head pressure. The most effective means of releiving it, for me, is getting out into the sand at the beach, and walking on bare earth.

So the question is, is this all normal? I read about how this is all supposed to smooth out in the AYP book, but after 7+ years, I have to wonder, when... I never minded these side effects, and even found many of them pleasant sometimes, but from the reading, it seems this might not be normal. I can't imagine I am going too fast for 7+ years in a row, and again it mostly isn't unpleasant. How long does this purification last? Will I be having these symptoms in my next 5 or 6 life times? LOL Or, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Any opinions out there? What have your experiences been along these lines?

Thanks,

Windarra

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 19 2007 10:10:47 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Windara nice to hear from you

First a question: Are you doing AYP as a stand alone practice, or are you mixing in practices from other systems

AYP practices can be very powerful and sometimes its best not to mix them with other systems

quote:
Especially over the last 7 years, I have had many signs of what I assume are energy purifictaion, cleansing, etc., including profuse sweating during yoga and even meditation sometimes, ringing in my ears, pressure in my head, kryas, buzzing in my head, seeing lights, mild vertigo, unusual physical detox symptoms, chest tightness, I could probably go on all day.

This sounds Like excess energy to me have a look at this lesson

Kundalini symptoms, imbalances, and remedies:

quote:
None of the symptoms have been unpleasant except the head pressure. The most effective means of releiving it, for me, is getting out into the sand at the beach, and walking on bare earth.

Now that sounds like a very good plan

Here is a thread that might be helpful too you.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1603#1603

quote:
So the question is, is this all normal? I read about how this is all supposed to smooth out in the AYP book, but after 7+ years, I have to wonder, when... I never minded these side effects, and even found many of them pleasant sometimes, but from the reading, it seems this might not be normal. I can't imagine I am going too fast for 7+ years in a row, and again it mostly isn't unpleasant. How long does this purification last? Will I be having these symptoms in my next 5 or 6 life times? LOL Or, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Yes this is normal if you have excess purification and energy movement.

It certainly does sound like you are overdoing it a bit. Self pacing is the answer, Look at your practices and try cutting back on some a little bit or even cutting some out all together, and no I don't think you will have to put up with it for several lifetimes

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Feb 19 2007 11:02:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

windarra

6 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  12:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit windarra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard, great advice.

I almost forgot about the skin crawling thing. I used to feel like I was covered with bugs crawling all over me, especially my legs. Fortunately I haven't had that for a while.

About the only other practice I am doing right now besides AYP, is surya namaskar (i think it's called) (sungazing). I cut back on it some, but hate to give it up, as it has been such a beautiful life changing practice.

I will increase my asanas (I have gotten a bit lax there), and if it will just get a little warmer here in the SE US, I will increase my barefoot beach walking, and other walking in general.

The other night I dreamed my brain was shaking violently and was about to explode. I forced myself awake to have just some mild pressure in my head.

It is so hard to cut back, but I'll try what I mentioned above and adjust as necessary.

Thanks for taking the time to help,

Windarra
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Windarra that's what we are here for

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by windarra

Hi Windarra,
Welcome to the forum..
What practices of AYP are you following.. spinal breathing? deep meditation? advanced mudras, bandhas? samyama? how long for each one? In other words, what is your routine?

Before I came to AYP, and for awhile after, I did have a lot of pressure in my head.. mostly crown related. The thing that helped me the most was.. bringing my attention down from my head to my heart.

Someone at the forum had pointed out to me that some have a tendency to live in their heads.. and as soon as we realize we are in our head.. if we just bring our attention down.. to the heart.. or lower.. that is .. stop living in our head.. the pressure will reduce. It takes a little conscious effort in the beginning.. but becomes very natural afterwards..

Excess energy in the head has been discussed here..
Excessive energy movement in the head

I still do get excess energy in my head at times.. the best thing to do then is self pace (that is why I asked you the questions on your routine above).. you will find some excellent suggestion here on self-pacing and lowering excess energy.
Help!! serious inner energy problems

Surya namaskar (sun salutation) and asanas .. should not cause you any trouble.. unless you are over doing it... and/or not following it up with spinal breathing and deep meditation.
Hope these help. Excess energy/pressure in the head is no fun.. Hope you can find relief soon.
Wish you all the best..

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 19 2007 9:19:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

windarra

6 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit windarra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti, for your reply.

Currently my AYP practice includes most everything up to lesson 150.

Right now I am doing 10 minutes of spinal breathing, 3 up to 10 minutes of the chin pump or chin pump lite, depending how I feel (vertigo, profuse sweating etc.), 30 minutes of meditation, then 10 minutes of yoni mudra kumbhaka(?)(breath retention with the eye push thing). I do this in the morning and the evening, (2, 1 hour sessions).

I sometimes meditate outside of the above practice.

I should have called the surya namaskar something else. Instead of sun salutations, it is more of a sun meditation while looking at the sun during safe times (sun gazing). I have done this since 2004. It is during this time that I have had the skin crawling sensations and most severe head pressure. Excessive grounding generally has taken care of the severe head pressure. I cut way back on the sun gazing/meditation, but that is partially seasonal. The sun meditation has been such a beautiful profound practice, I'm not sure I could give it up. I do this for usually about 20 to 30 minutes, once per day (when the sun shines).

The pressure in my head is usually always there, but it is normally pleasant. I may be a "head" person. Now that I think about it, my energy seems much more inclined to shoot up than move down. Maybe Shiva just doesn't want to descend, to reference lesson 125.

My troubles are not nearly as severe as Icedearth or weaver in the referenced links, or at least when they are, I am able to mostly take care of it with grounding practices.

You and Richard have given me some great ideas. I think it will all work it's self out OK, as long as I stay with the grounding ideas, and pace things (sometimes hard to do).

I appreciate your kind help.

Windarra

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  10:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by windarra

Right now I am doing 10 minutes of spinal breathing, 3 up to 10 minutes of the chin pump or chin pump lite, depending how I feel (vertigo, profuse sweating etc.), 30 minutes of meditation, then 10 minutes of yoni mudra kumbhaka(?)(breath retention with the eye push thing). I do this in the morning and the evening, (2, 1 hour sessions).

Hi Windarra,
Just one suggestion.. and do this only if you think you are OK with it..
Instead of a 30 min meditation.. twice a day (at AYP we recommend only 20 min for each session)... why don't you do a 20 min meditation, followed by 10 min of samyama. I think you will enjoy that. But please, do this only if your are comfortable with it.

Another thing...(and I am sure you do this already.. but just mentioning it, to be on the safe side).. take 5 to 10 min rest after your practice.. if possible take a short nap... You have a very loaded routine.. and with all the symptoms you are describing of vertigo, profuse sweating, etc... you do have a lot going on. But like I said, you may already be doing this (rest after meditation)... in which case just ignore this part...

Wish you all the best.
I think you are doing great.

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 23 2007 10:43:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

windarra

6 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  07:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit windarra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, for the advice...

I have been doing the rest after my practice, so should be OK there.

I have been planning to put the samyama into my routine, but I am still figuring out what it is. I read the lesson a couple of times, but am still trying to get my mind around it. I suppose to quote the Nike commercial I need to "just do it". Maybe I'll buy Yogani's book, on that topic, people on the forum seemed to like it.

Thanks again,

Windarra
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi windarra-glad you're back!

I very much recommend yogani's samyama book....

peace.......Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000