Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Changing sense of time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  06:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In my last meditations my sense of time has changed. Earlier on I wrote I lost the mantra and could not remember it anymore, for a few seconds (my subjective experience of the duration).

Now I noticed that I always can remember it, but the deep meditation seems to take longer. I didn't change anything in the duration, I still do DM for 10 min. In my experience 10 mins seems like half an hour, and I still get distracted from the mantra often and easily.

Before DM I do 5 min SBP and (if I have the time) the asana sequence from the little booklet of Yogani, Asanas Mudras and Bandhas, which takes me about 10 min. Lately during the asana practice I notice I'm getting warm.

Keeping going onwards!

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  11:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like the mind oscillates between distracted and more concentrated (perhaps excessively concentrated ?)

Yogani recommended "favouring" the mantra over other things (thoughts, sensations, whatever). That's a relaxed, balanced, gentle concentration - as opposed to actively pushing other things aside which usually results in the mind zig-zagging between those two extremes.
Sometimes, a small adjustment does a great job.

It's also good to check how it feels afterward, during the day: If there's fricton in the meditation but increased harmony and balance during the day, you're still on track.

I agree sequencing is very useful, the point of Asana and Pranayama is to prepare the body and mind for meditation. Yoga schools tend to miss this in practice, although not in theory :-)

My 2 Eurocents :-)
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  3:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice, applied it and am acting now less strict and more natural and easy. I'm also better able to relax now, during the sitting I feel my hips and shoulders losing tension.

Had a jerk today in my lower back, jerking forward suddenly during DM.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000