New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't expect to change how the other person feels about the situation.
i think you're exaggerating how badly they will react if you talk to them about it. It would probably be just a fraction that bad, or not at all.
But what you really need is not for them to change but to express your anger to them.

If you absolutely can't talk to them, then you could try going someplace alone and imagine they are there, and you are telling them how you feel about what they did. Try to get angry as you say it. Sometimes that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
don't mess with the chocolates!!

Edited by - Victor on Feb 24 2006 3:47:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  4:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Works when the other person asks for forgiveness, cannot work when the other person thinks they have done and are not doing anything wrong....

Why do you say this, Shanti? Do you believe that forgiveness cannot be given unless it is asked for?

It certainly can be given without being asked for, though it is certainly easier if it is asked for.

I forgave one of my friends recently without his asking for it, and he does not even admit having done wrong. To everyone else, he had behaved atrociously towards me. Reactions from people on hearing the story were like 'The bastard', 'The sh*t', and 'Have absolutely nothing more to do with him'.

I forgave him as a gift to myself. I don't trust him as much as before, and I am not sure I will ever have reason to change that. Our relationship will be limited in some ways by his bad behavior and his refusal to acknowledge it and apologize. But I threw away the pain and the burden. I do not seek apology from him. He is as he is.

The sh*t.

Your forgiving him will not necessarily make things be as good as they would be if he did not do wrong.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 24 2006 4:14:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The supreme example of forgiveness is given by Jesus, who forgave the very men who killed him, and they certainly didn't ask him for forgiveness. I can completely relate to your hesitancy, Shanti. For me the big stumbling block in forgiveness was my ego. (A rather large one, I"m afraid). But ya know, if this is an issue that just isn't budging for you, I'd say let it go, keep meditating, and eventually it'll drop on its own. You'll just realize one day that you bear no grudge.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree David. I started this topic because I want to forgive. I just did not know how. I was in need of help on how. The gist of what everybody has told me here is.. Just Do IT.
Thanks all. Really I mean it.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  03:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How do I learn to forgive?

On a daily basis, as frequently as possible, I try to remind myself that I love all. And if the thought train throws angry thoughts into my head about certain people, I try to stop myself and think "I love you my brother/sister" about that person whoever they might have been that upset me. Usually the grudge disappears after that.

Just remember that whoever you are upset with is also You. The source of the grudge is the illusion that makes you think you are separate from the rest. So love them as you love yourself. But do talk as Truthfully as possible, it may hurt the people and they may hurt you in response, but in the long-term this is the best solution.

Edited by - Chiron on Feb 25 2006 07:33:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditate, such things leave of their own.Try to push them out, they come in through the back door

mystiq
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000