AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sutra for studying/learning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends,

any good idea? :)

To give some more information:

I am studying software technologies and am in the middle of the study.

Before I started (3 years ago), I had lots of time doing intense practices which lead to very nice openings. Because of timing problems (ST is very demanding) I had to cut back very strongly with the practices, but bhakti was not satisfied with that. So after the initial year of studying I once again gave it a "big shot" with the Maitrey Ishwara method that lead to permanent freedom 24/7 but the body was not functioning anymore and the mind did not either. In other words, studying became a real problem.

Now I have restarted with other methods of practice, mainly based on AYP with little additions from Sufi backround (prayers) and kriya yoga (mahamudra) as it helps greatly with balance and health.

So the project is called: maximum nonduality together with perfect expression in studying.

The elements to study that help very much are:

- will power to sit down every day and learn subject related topics (like maths, algorithms, programming styles, creative combinations for new approaches atc.)
- the ability to understand what you are reading in its entire complexity to be able to use it for whatever purpose
- the ability to remember what you have learned and to be able to recall it instantly whenever needed

I thought about a new sutra that could cover all of this. So far I have "intelligence" in mind, but it does not cover the will-power aspect related to studying.

The bhakti for spiritual practices and a very simple life appeals very much, but in my age at this time in space, "I would be pi**ed off" if these transitory mind-intelligence problems would be solved after some months and little years and "if I have missed" the chance to learn something and do something I really like enormously.

So the call for help here is: no compromising in spiritual opening and together doing a great job for the second half part of the study time.

Thank you very much, I'm open for any input.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy

I don't think the actual word/sutra is important. I think you will have plenty of success if you just "summon" the feeling that arises just before the sutra is thought and then release it. In my experience samyama is not about the sutras that are used. It is about the intention/feeling/emotion that arises right before the sutra is said/thought. The sutra itself is not important.

For example...there is probably a feeling that you get when you think about the "elements of study" you highlighted above. If you bring that feeling up and then release it you won't need to highlight a single sutra to encompass the feeling. The feeling itself will be the sutra. Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't...having a bit of a time over here due to the full moon/solstice energy floating around right now and am feeling rather ungrounded at the moment.

Hope this helps!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

much thanks. It's good. Directly releasing on a causal level. It's very suptle but could be doable. It's easier to link it to a word though, especially in samyama I'm very often intensly absorbed and don't understand anything anymore.

Have to try it. Any other idea is still welcome.

I thought about "perfection" as a general word, but when it comes to it, "god" would be enough as a single sutra replacing everything else too =P

What you suggest is really nice, Im not sure if I can already operate intentionally on that level. In surrender mode that level is happening automatically. But in practice, mhh :) Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy

Just pick a word that corresponds to the feeling and release it. It really doesn't matter what word it is IMO. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  12:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mhhh, lol, the answer lies in the question eh? :D :D

Studying in my native language is full with other meanings like chilling, relaxing, having lots of fun, enjoying life and a little bit of the actual meaning =P

Learning could work great. Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: It works IMMENSLY good. Sutra is: learning efficiency.

Thanks very much again Carson :)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Update2: As with everything else, the initial intensity smooths out fast =P Long-term effects will be reported ^^
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  02:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy,
You've had about a month with that made-up sutra of yours Please report the results!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  08:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

the effects were: I understand what people say and also what I read. Understanding of complex things have speed up. Generally many situations happened where someone wanted to teach me some subject point and or wanted to learn something with me which worked out very well very fast.

What the sutra could not provide =P : the wish to learn more often and with more continuity..

Even the opposite, learning efficiency brought "learning life lessons on all levels" to a ultra high speed level... and now I'm near to change my life totally to provide the most optimum conditions on all levels for opening up the nervous system. And as sad as I have to admit, studying in a university delays my inner longing of service to others, being of more direct and practical help and being able to share love on more levels.

Sharing love on the level of studying was more easy in school days, where the topics were that easy that I understood everything directly on class and was able to help my mates understand the topic with great contentment for both.

Even though I am loving the general subject of what I am studying, the implementation within the university is based on "who is the best" and we don't want good people, they have to be kicked out as fast as possible through complex time consuming mental efforts and insane tests. Neither the student is happy, nor the teacher, nor does something fruitful meaning love come out of it. Sure, later on when you get the paper "graduate in XYZ" your possibilities to create a love environment that grants fast and smooth opening of your and others own inner will be more easy... Ah you see, I'm again and again cheating myself...

Yeah the sutra has worked, but also on levels I had not intended. Don't know what will come out of it. My most inner core just wants to live very simply in ways optimal for love sharing and to have lots of time and freedom of mind to practice and deepen faster into me.

I could see very clearly that the way I am proceeding right now, won't bring me to what my most inner wants..
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@CarsonZi: Thank you so much, your advise is so inspiring and helpful! Not really getting along very well with the sutras as words, I will give it a new try focusing more on the feelings!
~ sunrise ~
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sunrise

My only caution with this is to make sure that you don't get bogged down in trying to find the feeling. Just gently graze the intention of the word/feeling/sutra and let it go. The letting go is the most important part IMO.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi,
that's the big question you are touching here: How to let go? I still have no idea because how can we let go something good as LOVE or HEALTH? What is the emotional attitude behind the ability to let go? I only can imagine that a key to let go is, that we do not really need and care about the values expressed in the sutras??
For instance, cosmic samyama is pretty easy because the body parts or planets are there, I do not need to question or think or understand them.
Very easy is the samyama technique to dissolve obstructions: To think "war" or "famine" and let go is easy. Healing samyama is also very easy, to think the name of s.o. and let the name go, returning to inner silence.
But regular samyama is difficult as hell. E.g. the first sutra LOVE. How can we pick that up faintly? How can we let it go easily? What are the necessary conditions to have the ability of picking up and letting go easily? I'm fuzzing with samyama since years, having achieved 0% personal or spiritual growth, because I simply found myself unable to figure out how to do that process easily, faintly.
When I try to pick up any sutra faintly, this "faintly attitude" has remarkable impact on my daily life, making me weak and powerless to an unhealthy extend: I need to put all my power together just to get up from bed, master the day and its challenges. Thus I tried to focus intensely on the sutras and think them with clearly strong intended will power. This gave me a long lasting feeling of strength and decisiveness! But the faint approach is too difficult for me to understand
Dear friends, anybody who can give me some help, very appreciated, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  09:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunrise

How to let go? I still have no idea because how can we let go something good as LOVE or HEALTH? What is the emotional attitude behind the ability to let go? I only can imagine that a key to let go is, that we do not really need and care about the values expressed in the sutras??
For instance, cosmic samyama is pretty easy because the body parts or planets are there, I do not need to question or think or understand them.
Very easy is the samyama technique to dissolve obstructions: To think "war" or "famine" and let go is easy. Healing samyama is also very easy, to think the name of s.o. and let the name go, returning to inner silence.
But regular samyama is difficult as hell. E.g. the first sutra LOVE. How can we pick that up faintly? How can we let it go easily? What are the necessary conditions to have the ability of picking up and letting go easily? I'm fuzzing with samyama since years, having achieved 0% personal or spiritual growth, because I simply found myself unable to figure out how to do that process easily, faintly.
When I try to pick up any sutra faintly, this "faintly attitude" has remarkable impact on my daily life, making me weak and powerless to an unhealthy extend: I need to put all my power together just to get up from bed, master the day and its challenges. Thus I tried to focus intensely on the sutras and think them with clearly strong intended will power. This gave me a long lasting feeling of strength and decisiveness! But the faint approach is too difficult for me to understand
Dear friends, anybody who can give me some help, very appreciated, thanks!

Sunrise, the let go does not mean throwing it away. Let go the sutra is like giving the word/feeling to your ishta so s/he can manifest it for you. So when you pick the word love, and drop it, let it go, you are giving it to the stillness (your ishta) and asking him/her to manifest it in your life. It's like playing a game of trust fall... let go the word and know your ishtha will catch it and manifest it.

There are 2 things that happen here, drop the sutra (at a surface level it means, stop thinking the word) and letting go the attachment to the meaning the word has for you... reason being, we are limited by what we think love really is... but when we can drop it in stillness (meaning, we are sitting in stillness after meditation and we pick a word in our mind and then stop thinking the word) the more we stop thinking what love is, the more the inner meaning of love will permeate our lives (our ishtha/the stillness can manifest what love is in our lives).

If thinking the sutra clearly and strongly works for you, that is the fuzziest level you can comfortably reach, and that is fine, but then the dropping or stopping thinking of the sutra needs to be clear and strong too (as much as it happens naturally... remember, no forcing anything.. the more forcing there is the more the mind games get reinforced)... like an on and off.

What have you got to lose if you let go the word? Just your idea of the word right? If you fear that stopping thinking the sutra will result in you losing the "love"... put your mind at ease... there is no losing the love... it is our base, our foundation... we cannot lose love, we can only lose the concepts we have of love.

We cannot let go... letting go will happen as we continue with our practices... trying to let go is a mind game that no one can win... so we practice the practices to the best of our ability and let the rest happen.

Here is something that may help:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=9204#79522
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Hi Shanti,
I understand your point. However so far I haven't managed to find out how I can let go. As you know there is not "let go" switch. How do you let go of the Sutra and/or its outcomes when deep down you're really interested in them? and how can you tell in Samyama if you have managed to let go?

Hi Emil,
You have it right, there is no switch that can be flipped to say"let go"... letting go will happen.

The example I give people is, when you want to fall asleep, you get into bed, turn off the light, lay down, at times you may even have a cup of chamomile tea, or take a shower or read a book or watch some TV.. these are all steps we take to relax and get into bed and then... falling asleep happens... "we" cannot fall asleep, we can do all the preparations to make sure we fall asleep, but falling asleep just happens.

Like that, letting go will just happen, we can only do various practices to get us to a point where letting go will happen, but just like we cannot make the mind help us fall asleep.. in fact when the mind is involved, we may not fall asleep, like that we cannot make the mind help us let go, while the mind is involved, the letting go will not happen.

The practice that AYP offers to help us cultivate the ground on which letting go will happen is meditation and samyama. At first samyama is a very mechanical process... like training a baby to sleep through the night, give them a warm bath, sing them a lullaby, turn off the light... sooner or later the body learns that it's night now and I should sleep... and the baby falls asleep (if the parents are so blessed)... like that at first we do the mechanical process of picking the sutra and holding it for 15 seconds and dropping it... how do we drop? We just stop thinking the word (in the beginning when we don't know how to drop i.e.). Every session, we just follow the procedure given in the lesson http://www.aypsite.org/150.html

quote:
Now we are ready to begin samyama practice. Here is how we do it.

With samyama, we are initiating meaning in silence. We do it in a simple, easy, systematic way. First we create an impulse of meaning in silence, and then we let it go in silence.

Let's begin with "Love." It is a good place to start with samyama. In samyama it is suggested you use your most intimate language, the language that goes deepest in your heart, whatever it may be.

In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word "Love" in your own language. Don't deliberately make a clear pronunciation, or mental images of this or that scene or situation that represent Love to you. Just have a faint remembrance of Love, and then let go into your silence, the easy silence you are in as you pick up the faint meaning of Love. Don't contemplate Love or analyze it during samyama. Don't think about it at all. Just come to it once in a faint, subtle way, and then let go into silence. It is a subtle feeling of Love we are coming to, nothing more, and letting it go. Like that.

Having thought "Love" once, be in silence for about fifteen seconds. If any thoughts come, let them go easily. Don't look at the clock. With a little practice your inner clock will tell you with good enough accuracy when fifteen seconds is up. Just be easy in silence for about a quarter of a minute. Then pick up the faint, fuzzy meaning of "Love" again, and let it go again into your silence for about fifteen seconds again.

That is two repetitions of samyama – twice picking up Love at its subtlest level of thought, and twice letting it go into inner silence.

We do this without trying to control the outcome, without trying to judge the feelings arising, without holding on to any meaning or feeling. It's not hard to do once we decide the bigger rewards are there when this body/mind lets go. Right now I follow the procedure no matter how boring, before we know it, the letting go and the wonders of samyama manifest. We continue letting go and samyama becomes every step of our life.

Hope some of this helps Emil. I am just trying to share what helped me... I was looking for this and that for a long time... this and that started showing up when I stop looking for them.

Go to Top of Page

sunrise

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  10:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit sunrise's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti,
thanks for your reply! The theory of samayama as outlined by Patanjali, and beautifully described by Yogani, is that what we let go in silence comes back " a thousandfold".
Unfortunately my repeated experience is different: what we let go disappears and doesn't come back. When thinking "Love", there might be a simultaneous feeling of happiness and love. The less fuzzy thought, the more presence of happiness / love.
When letting go of it, all of it - thought and emotions - disappears in silence, and nothing comes back. So far still acceptable, but after meditation and 'samyama' - thinking and letting go of love - my heart feels cold and kind of anesthetized, very difficult to have empathy for anybody. It takes conscious efforts and about 30 - 60 minutes to be a warm-hearted human being again. I somehow can't believe that this should be rightful yoga.
I came across samyama back in 1989 and trying it occasionally since, with no good result. Thus I'm so glad to discover the AYP site and the opportunity to discuss this with friends and advanced practitioners!
Doing only meditation, the inner presence of silence afterwards guides me through life, like a silent inner voice of wisdom. But when trying to do samyama, inner silence is like a huge erasor, wiping out all thoughts, intentions and emotions surrendered to it, leaving me poorer and colder inside than I was before doing samyama
Thus samyama to clear obstructions is so easy, but regular samyama is not.
I hope one day to be able to solve this "knot".
Do you suggest to have the concept of ishta when doing samyama? But that means to involve lots of believings as additional prerequisite to do fruitful samyama?
@Holy: Sorry that I changed the topic you started...
Go to Top of Page

Artisan

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I would join this interesting discussion. The thing I do not understand about the idea of releasing the feeling about a sutra is that what happens if you have no experience of the sutra you are using. For instance say I am using "Abundance" as a sutra but have never experienced abundance. I do not know what it feels like and my feelings or thoughts about it may not accurately relate to what it is, so is it enough just to relate to something as I currently comprehend it or what I think that it might be? Love is a great example as it is something I may not have experienced so what feeling do I release?

Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunrise and Artisan,
There is some good discussion on samyama here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=854

Artisan, You don't need to have experienced / or not experienced it. Just pick up the word "abundance" at a fuzzy level and remain in silence. That is it.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Unfortunately my repeated experience is different: what we let go disappears and doesn't come back. When thinking "Love", there might be a simultaneous feeling of happiness and love. The less fuzzy thought, the more presence of happiness / love.
When letting go of it, all of it - thought and emotions - disappears in silence, and nothing comes back. So far still acceptable, but after meditation and 'samyama' - thinking and letting go of love - my heart feels cold and kind of anesthetized, very difficult to have empathy for anybody. It takes conscious efforts and about 30 - 60 minutes to be a warm-hearted human being again. I somehow can't believe that this should be rightful yoga.

OK, so I am going to add a spin to this. What you think is love and warm hearted and compassion are definitions from your mind or based on what you have heard from others. If after samyama you lose it all, it is because it is a process of unlearning what you have defined loving to be. Everyone goes through a period of dispassion when they feel they have lost the loving. They feel cold and heartless and unconnected. This is a purification phase, a phase of unlearning concepts. If you trust the process, I would say go with it... go with the dispassion, go with the cold heartedness... it does not last forever, just long enough for you to let go the ideas of love that are not letting you experience the divine loving. How can the divine loving manifest in your life if you will not let go the concept of love? The divine loving is nothing like the ideas we have of love. Its OK if you cannot do it yet, but the day you are ready, you will have to step into this dispassion phase in order to experience compassion and loving.
quote:

But when trying to do samyama, inner silence is like a huge erasor, wiping out all thoughts, intentions and emotions surrendered to it, leaving me poorer and colder inside than I was before doing samyama

Yes... eraser of ideas and concepts... let it erase away the layers of misconception in order to reveal the truth. Trust!!!!
quote:

Do you suggest to have the concept of ishta when doing samyama? But that means to involve lots of believings as additional prerequisite to do fruitful samyama?

No no concept of ishta, you are right, it will complicate the process, just stay with the process, it is about simplicity, that is why AYP works.

BTW, I am not asking you to do anything that is not comfortable for you. Things will happen when you are ready, just pointing out why you feel what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Artisan

Thought I would join this interesting discussion. The thing I do not understand about the idea of releasing the feeling about a sutra is that what happens if you have no experience of the sutra you are using. For instance say I am using "Abundance" as a sutra but have never experienced abundance. I do not know what it feels like and my feelings or thoughts about it may not accurately relate to what it is, so is it enough just to relate to something as I currently comprehend it or what I think that it might be? Love is a great example as it is something I may not have experienced so what feeling do I release?

Very good question. I had a tough time with the word "love" too. I was never sure what it meant or how to let it go.
The only thing I did, I picked the word (forget about the feeling) and let it go (stopped thinking about it) in silence. Very mechanical at first. Less mind, less evaluation, less analyzing and more going with the process. Then one day you relax enough that samyama moves into autopilot.

In way it's good you don't have concepts of certain words. The less concepts/mind definitions there is to begin with, less ideas we have to unlearn and drop, and sooner the benefits of the sutras will show up in our lives. Of course, less evaluation and analyzing is also key. Trust is the main thing here... trusting the process even if we don't see results. Hard to do, but not impossible.

Hope some of this helps.

Let us know if there is any other way we can help you.
Go to Top of Page

Artisan

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  8:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

Hi Sunrise and Artisan,
There is some good discussion on samyama here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=854

Artisan, You don't need to have experienced / or not experienced it. Just pick up the word "abundance" at a fuzzy level and remain in silence. That is it.

Thanks Mathurs. I read the through the discussion and feel better about it now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000