Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Failure identifying spinal nerve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  01:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have not identified the spinal nerve even after several years of AYP. Time is running out and this is very frustating. Any advice?

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. What do you mean by "identified"? Do you mean visually, imaginatively, physically, currents, or 'pranic' sensations?

2. Are you doing SBP as exactly taught in the AYP lessons, not adding or subtracting your own things?

3. Do you have "silence", even occasional experiences of it?

Edited by - Jo-self on Sep 19 2010 12:53:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I only imagine the nerve. According to the lessons it will one day no longer be an imagination but be a real sensation, which hasn't occured to me.
Yes, I do the SBP exactly like told in the lessons.
I can't say if I have silence, I'm not a restful soul.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The shortness of of the path proposed by various teachings and techniques is, in my opinion, greatly exaggerated. Not sure if the AYP is also guilty of this. Suffice to say, one's progress can be a long time coming, decades even. Sometimes or always, one's life is an outward manifestation of our internal growth and renormalization. Perhaps your life is giving you signals that you don't see yet.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is just keep doing it. Maybe associate with like minded people. Introduce some of the add-ons that the lessons teach. If your practice is not doing harm and is helping your ordinary life, that too is a goal. Of course, even try other paths or techniques, like various active approaches, Hatha Yoga, Tai-Chi, etc.

Somewhere I read that except for one event, Ramana Maharshi never had anything exceptional. He was just That.
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  6:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to become very dejected for not perceiving the spinal nerve... and I too used to feel that time was running out. Somewhere along my practice of AYP, tangible perception of the spinal nerve was no longer a priority... in fact it is no longer a concern. I just do the practice, and let it be.
Now, the belief and/or reality that "time is running out" seems to have lost it's hold on my mind. There is a lot more freedom running around inside of me.
I have no idea "why" I continue to meditate????? I just do it.
By the way, I never ever had the slightest perception of the spinal nerve...then or now. But the most profound experiences for me have always occured during Deep meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4431 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  03:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus,

It isn't important to actually perceive the spinal nerve. As it says in the lessons, one day you will, but in the meantime it is better to concentrate on what is actually happening. It is the moving of attention between the root and the brow which brings about the awakening of the energetic body, and the purification of the chakras. This is true whether or not you can perceive the spinal nerve directly. So once you are able to perceive the spinal nerve, nothing much will change. You will still be doing the same practice, and bringing about the same purification. Perceiving the spinal nerve isn't a pre-condition for anything in AYP and you can proceed through the lessons whether it is happening or not.

When it does happen, you may just say: "O.K., I can do that now", and it won't be such a big deal.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really have anything to contribute that hasn't already been said, but I too have difficulties actually "experiencing" the spinal nerve. I do by best to simply move my sense of tactile awareness up and down through my back. Sometimes I'm able to create only the vaguest sense of movement, and at other times the path seems to be much more "well connected." Sometimes I feel as if I'm not able to get "deep" enough inside my own body.. like I'm only tracing the path along my back from the outside of my skin.

Like Christi said, what is most important is the moving of attention between root and brow. Even if the path is so obstructed that it seems all you can do is jump from one end to the other, the practice will still be working. I know it can be difficult to proceed when your experiences don't precisely match up to the experiences of others, but that is just the nature of things. If you can be satisfied with merely moving the attention up and down your back or spine to the best of your ability, progress will come.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Maximus

there are some hints that could be helpful, even though all are already given in the main lessons.

Breath slower. This really makes the difference. If the breath is fast, thoughts are fast too, concentration and visualization is less continuous.

Visualize the spinal nerve as a thin thread continuously. This makes the other difference. It sure is a matter of practice over time.

If everything is stable together with DM, add Mula Bandha and Sambhavi Mudra. This will make the last big difference, as ecstasy makes everything feelable/hearable/visible inside.

Continuity of focus micrometer per micrometer is the key word. The hints above are for that. They make the spinal nerve much much longer which gives "more time" for perception.

But hey, all the hints are done if possible. You favor them, not force.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  2:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will reflect on them.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4431 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo,

quote:
The shortness of of the path proposed by various teachings and techniques is, in my opinion, greatly exaggerated. Not sure if the AYP is also guilty of this. Suffice to say, one's progress can be a long time coming, decades even.

Just though I'd mention, I don't think Yogani is guilty of this. He does try to inspire people on to practice, but he is also honest about the time it takes:

" Well, most of us still have a lot of house cleaning to do. And it is not an overnight job. It is not like hiring a cleaning service to come in for a few hours and the job is done. Even with the best spiritual practices, it takes years and years. Maybe lifetimes." [Yogani]

http://www.aypsite.org/85.html

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Sep 22 2010 09:28:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  12:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi:

That AYP doesn't over sell (or sell at all) is good to know. I feel more likely to recommend it to others.

About experiencing the spinal nerve, I found that if I spend a few minutes in silence imagining the nerve very gently that when I start SBP, the current is already flowing, it just intensifies.

- Josef
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  06:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clear White Light

I don't really have anything to contribute that hasn't already been said, but I too have difficulties actually "experiencing" the spinal nerve. I do by best to simply move my sense of tactile awareness up and down through my back. Sometimes I'm able to create only the vaguest sense of movement, and at other times the path seems to be much more "well connected." Sometimes I feel as if I'm not able to get "deep" enough inside my own body.. like I'm only tracing the path along my back from the outside of my skin.

Like Christi said, what is most important is the moving of attention between root and brow. Even if the path is so obstructed that it seems all you can do is jump from one end to the other, the practice will still be working. I know it can be difficult to proceed when your experiences don't precisely match up to the experiences of others, but that is just the nature of things. If you can be satisfied with merely moving the attention up and down your back or spine to the best of your ability, progress will come.

Hi Clear,

honestly thank you for this post. Your careful description matches my own state pretty exactly and so you gave me some much appreciated support! I was slowly becoming frustrated already...
But if I'm not alone, it's much much better
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was about to post the same question . Sometimes I feel it -ish, other times not. During SBP I haven't felt it much recently and I was experiencing the desire of wanting a palpable sensation, seeing, feeling of it, just another want of the mind. One time where I do sense it and feel it strongly more so than others, is during tantric practices, with a partner or solo, while doing it also utilizing a light Mula Bandha and Sambhavi Mudra seems to help. I don't know if anyone else experiences this? Or if that'll help telling you that.

My issue at the moment is tension in the left side of my back, it's pretty much always there, when doing SBP it drags me off course to the left, if you know what I mean. So when I am going up and down and I pass the mid/lower back area and then the neck (where I have strong tension on the left side), the sensation of tension or strain or whatever it is sort of drags my attention towards it.

Any tips to resolve this? Any asanas that could help even me out? Or any other therapies or tips? Should I get a friend to do a massage?

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000