AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Playing the kechari flute
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  5:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've really enjoyed doing mantra while in kechari. I wanted to share my experience so far and learn if anyone else is doing something similar.

While in kechari, with the tongue extended alongside the septum, and its tip resting where the septum ends at the top, I do the om mantra. Various positions of the head and neck create tension on the vocal cords. The same cords that make that pretty flute sound can become taught, and when this occurs there is a strong vibration sent straight up the tongue.

Are there any lessons, posts, or personal experiences that relate to this particular way of doing kechari?

Thanks

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

While in kechari, with the tongue extended alongside the septum, and its tip resting where the septum ends at the top, I do the om mantra. Various positions of the head and neck create tension on the vocal cords. The same cords that make that pretty flute sound can become taught, and when this occurs there is a strong vibration sent straight up the tongue.

Hi Kyman,
There is a site posted www.kriyayogainfo.net by Alan here and Magne here
In this book the author says the following..

VI…Pranayama with Kechari Mudra

The Kechari Mudra, during Pranayama, gives rise to a particular phenomenon. After a while, the breath comes out producing the sound of a "flute", shii shii... Lahiri Mahasaya describes it as something «similar to when one blows air through a keyhole». He says it is like «a razor through which everything is cut off». With this statement he means to say that it has the power to lead the beginner beyond the mind, cutting any external disturbing factor off, thoughts and illusions included.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 14 2006 8:54:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  11:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, yes. I recall that book. I downloaded it.

There doesn't seem to be a flute sound though, while in kechari. During the mudra it feels like the same cords that make that sound are directing vibrations into the tongue, which is what I meant by playing the flute.

Also, it seems there is another hold or lock that can be done with the nose, if you are doing mantra in or out of kechari. If you scrunch your nose up like you are angry, and swallow, you should feel the muscles I'm talking about.

If you breath out of your nose when doing the mantra, and play around with these muscles, you can create some interesting sounds.

Of course, this is just playfulness. As with anything the body does, there is exploration. It would be unwise to give off the impression that these experiences of the body are an end in themselves.
Go to Top of Page

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  8:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
couple weeks ago, after holding kumbakh for a long while after pranayama, I placed my tongue in stage 3 kechari mudra, and after a while, the tongue automatically started rythmically dancing, the tip just wagging front to back like a metronome, with a little clicking sound. Is this a common automatic movement in kechari?

Seems like an automatic secret spot stimulator.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  12:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I assumed the clicking sound was from air pressure in these little holes on the top of the nasal cavity.

While in stage 3, try humming om, and the cords in the throat send strumming vibrations up into the tongue. Another secret spot stimulator.

I'm curious as to the most proper placement of the tongue. The root of the tongue is on the hard palate, and this seems to inflate the tongue until the tip touches the secret spot.

These are all just observations, along the big picture path. Reflections of a process that is no doubt bigger than kechari mudra itself.

Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  11:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This flute sound is getting interesting.

I've been taking a little break from kheckari and working doing some om and inner chant. When practicing my om I figured out how I was making that flute sound.

You know when your throat has an itch in the back and you have to make that really embarrising and disturbing hacking/vibrating sensation to make the itch go away? The muscles you use or what you do in the throat can be done while doing any single sound mantra. It works best for me with the ahhhhhh sound. But also very well with oooommmm.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, do you have any resources on this beautiful effect? Are there any people who have developed it and use it as a musical instrument?
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  12:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
anyone wanna share their insights? how to play it continously?

Edited by - fcry64 on Dec 11 2010 01:20:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000