Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Meditation for all levels of Spiritual Seekers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  5:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While being respectful of traditions and prior wisdom is always wise, nevertheless, there has been progress. For example, before modern approaches such as TM, AYP, etc., the prevailing teaching was that meditation was "hard" and for advanced practitioners. But, we have found that this is not true. The mind is not like a busy monkey that must be forcibly controlled. Instead, internal growth is the right of all and available to all.

So, I agree with Yogani here. But, the contraindications of meditation should be stated, even though one's experiences will vary over time. In the medical literature there have been some references to the ill effects of meditation and how one must proceed carefully and other supervision (why some still insist on a Guru).

Links
DSM-IV Religious and Spiritual Problems

Yoga Meditation in Severe Psychosis & Autism

-- jo-self

Edited by - Jo-self on Oct 04 2010 12:30:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  03:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish

You mean that interactions with other people in daily life serve as a balance to DM/etc. Yes, I agree.

But this is a very light balance which IMHO will not withstand a serious storm. And when serious storm will come, what will you do with your regular job? With your spouse? With your wordly life? If you are in a cave, you have plenty of time and can allow weeks or months to re-collect. You may not have this time in "usual" life.

P.S. IMHO from spiritual point of view DM is not more spiritual than our "usual" life; it's just an energy exercise (also like spinal breathing, etc.). So I would not say

quote:
a busy, non-spiritual life
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  11:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Originally posted by Yuri
Hi Etherfish

You mean that interactions with other people in daily life serve as a balance to DM/etc. Yes, I agree.
------------
DM causes stored emotions to be released, then interacting with people helps release them. Interacting with people also brings out karma and DM helps calm you to keep the stress down.
---------------
Yuri:

But this is a very light balance which IMHO will not withstand a serious storm. And when serious storm will come, what will you do with your regular job? With your spouse? With your wordly life? If you are in a cave, you have plenty of time and can allow weeks or months to re-collect. You may not have this time in "usual" life.
---------------
If you mean a serious spiritual storm, that is very unlikely with DM. Normal DM practice as prescribed in the Main Lessons or books is configured to prevent serious storms, using "self pacing".
============
Yuri:

P.S. IMHO from spiritual point of view DM is not more spiritual than our "usual" life; it's just an energy exercise (also like spinal breathing, etc.). So I would not say

quote:
a busy, non-spiritual life

What I mean is my life is filled with people and activities that don't refer to spirituality at all. This is a GOOD thing because it contributes to self pacing, as you will read in the lessons.

If you immerse yourself in spirituality, as you would in a cave, "spiritual overload" would be likely. Plus almost nobody could actually do this. We imagine an escape of some kind, but alone in a cave you are faced with all the things you want to escape from, because they are inside us.

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 05 2010 11:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000