Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Yantras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  5:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There had been a question that Natan asked on the Kundalini sub-forum here, but since this is "off topic" with respect to AYP practices, I thought I should respond on this subforum, the "Other Systems" forum:

Natan in his post said that he had read that yantras are visual representation of mantras and wondered what they were for and how to utilize them. Though not utilized under the methodology recommended under AYP procedures, just for completeness sake I thought to respond, because I have been fond of utilizing yantras in my practice.

There are many yantras other than the most famous, Sri Yantra (which is the representative psychic diagram of the most beautiful Tripura Sundari). In fact each of the 10 Wisdom Forms of the Goddess as well as Siva, Vishnu, and the other Avatars of Vishnu, each have a characteristic yantra representation. Just as mantras were discovered by ancient rishis/seers, so too were their associated yantras discovered psychically by them.

The tantric yogi can link yantras while reciting the companion mantras, with mystical results.

For those interested, I suggest the following readings:
1. Tools for Tantra by Harish Johari, in book form with associated audio CD of him demonstrating each mantra in proper pronunciation.
2. Yantra Images by Dilip Kumar
3. Kundalini Workbook by Jonn Mumford. This latter resource also provides instruction on techniques of trataka utilizing yantras, and internalizing such visualization.
4.Last of all, I am drawn to mention a very powerful book of tantric wisdom: "Tantra Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses" by David Frawley

The Goddess has been known to appear larger than life and most beautiful, in vivid dreams or darshan, through the above practices of Khechari,with yantras, and mantra yoga practices.
in service,
John C

Edited by - John C on Sep 24 2010 06:45:28 AM

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting John C.

When I have the money and time I think I will be reading / purchasing the books listed.

Just out of further interest what have your findings/ results been through utilizing Yantras/ Mantras?

(just to clarify is this the precise title for the John Mumford book?: A Chakra and Kundalini Workbook: Psycho-Spiritual Techniques for Health, Rejuvenation, Psychic Powers and Spiritual Realization by John Mumford)

Love
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  1:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I answer below in bold type to your questions. (You have the right title to Mumford's book.) Thanks for asking:
quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11

When I have the money and time I think I will be reading / purchasing the books listed. Where I live, you go to the public library to the reference librarian and can get a free inter-library loan of just about any book imaginable, especially out-of-print ones.

Just out of further interest what have your findings/ results been through utilizing Yantras/ Mantras? [b]I feel a little uncomfortable answering that for some indefinable reason. In actuality, the best advise from many authors here who are much smarter than me, and which I would agree with is to just stick with the AYP practices, because they are the most useful and powerful yogas if applied faithfully, on a daily basis, with diligence over months to years to decades. I especially recommend developing advanced Khechari mudra through frenum cutting as directed on this website. This is a fantastic key practice. (We need more Khechari yogis in the world to make things better. Rhetorically speaking, can we Khecharis somehow resonate our human species into a less violent, more peaceful, loving and tolerant attitude if we grow in sheer numbers and do our thing collectively?)

Edited by - John C on Oct 12 2010 12:57:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a dedicated 2x daily AYPer not looking to replace practice or use these as sole practices , just interested in some further spiritual/inspirational study, though I agree good advice. I found your post intriguing.

Love
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  05:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yantras have interested me for as long as I have been involved with meditation. I've had lucid dreams of what appeared to be Tibetan mandalas. I often am aware of a spiral vortex. The crown chakra is very large with planets on orbits here and there. These chakra vortices spin clockwise, all of them. Carl Jung considered archetypes, and I believe these are that,...visual symbolic representations welling up from the subconscious. The practical question of how to utilize yantras, is a lost art, only accessible by powers of intuition for us Westerners and Moderns. We Moderns don't have the benefit of tribal ancestral wisdom, ancient lineage nor initiation, so we're on our own to do our own little personal explorations of subconscious symbols so as to integrate these archetypes into our own homespun mystical yogic practices. Yantras, psychic vortices, mandalas are symbols we share collectively. Bring them into conscious awareness. Good luck. It's The Mystery.
J.C.
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  05:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yantras and Mantras are closely associated practices for Hindu Tantric practice as far as I'm concerned. Like I said above, our chakras are our yantras that can be seen during meditative samadhi. And each chakra has some anthropomorphic associations within the paradigm of the Hindu pantheon.
I am especially fond of Ganesha, who is supreme at Mulladhara and by extension Svadhisthana. (Incidentally, we'd be in good company doing these devotional practices, if you consider that the great kriya master Lahiri Masaya meditated upon each energy center.)

Lord Ganesha is very accessible and friendly to us, and chanting His mantra with attention at the pelvic level can become a profound kundalini experience of the Earth Element, under conscious and devotional control. I love to sing the mantra of love to Goddess Tara at The Navel. She also is very attentive, and requires no particular ritual to be satisfied with our devotion to Her. Mother Kali resides with Lord Siva YabYum,together at Heart center, Anahata, situated to the left of midline. Tripura Sundari is the most beautiful young Woman manifestation of Mother Kali at Crown level, Sahasrara. (She is the epitome of sexually charged female beauty.) Khechari becomes poignant in that devotion to Her.

All these mantras are to be found on Harish Johari's audio CD that accompanies his book, Tools for Tantra.
Lastly, the great mantra of Kalachakra is a very wonderful surrender to the Bodhisattva, as one pledges to renounce full Realization so as to return endlessly for the sake of others, and this great Spiral vortex resides just below Visshuddhi but above Anahata. All these Energy Principals with humanlike archetypical features are alive, but we need to activate our vessel to be in union with Them. The yantras to these Elemental Principles of (our) Nature are contained in the Tools of Tantra book, but they are within you right now (always have been) to just find and develop them experientially from subconscious into conscious awareness. You don't need to take anybody's word for it. Light your own lamp. That's The Mystery!
Good Luck.
J.C.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Being raised Hindu, I can tell you that yantras are basically magical symbols. Each deity has its own yantra. And these yantras also should have the deity's mantra included somewhere in the yantra. The yantra IS the deity. Even in Hindu temples, there is a yantra beneath each idol. That yantra gives the idol life.
Go to Top of Page

John C

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  02:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, if you just google "yantras" there's a wealth of interesting information on this.

Here's a related question I've wanted to ask the AYP crowd:
Do any of you see a black dot when you meditate? bindu?
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  05:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by John C

Actually, if you just google "yantras" there's a wealth of interesting information on this.

Here's a related question I've wanted to ask the AYP crowd:
Do any of you see a black dot when you meditate? bindu?

Have you read this post where I mentioned about Yogani ji's take on Yantras and my own experience:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8415#72837

I see the Black dot (bindu) during Samyama.

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  5:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a couple of good academic books on yantras.

I wouldn't use the general information via google.

Also you can go to your local Hindu temple and ask the priests. I'm serious.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Oct 28 2010 5:10:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000