Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Let's see those hands in the air!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  11:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All

Yesterday I had an interesting automatic yoga experience I would like to share. I was doing my asana practice while listening to the self-titled Trevor Hall album and had just laid down for savasana when I felt a VERY strong urge to lift my hands up towards the sky in "worship".

I come from a Christian background, and in the style of Christianity I grew up in, many people used to lift their hands up towards the heavens while singing "worship songs" at church. I'm not totally sure why this is done in the Christian tradition I grew up in, but I certainly felt the need to do it myself while being in a state of "worship" yesterday.

Just curious to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them or if anyone knows why this felt SO right for me at the time. The hands really "lit up" (I could feel the energy moving through them) when this happened and the heart really opened as well... the tears flowed and there was much joy.

Just wondering if this is "conditioning" (due to my religious background) or if this was indeed "automatic yoga" and is some sort of mudra or something.

Any thoughts?

Love!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157...2980856e.jpg

P.S> Also found it interesting that in pranayam, directly following the above experience, I had a brief, half-second vision of Jesus at the heart chakra as I passed through it on one of the exhales. Also something new for me

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  7:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah for sure carson i get this too.... in fact it seems to me that you can really raise your prana to pretty intense degrees by raising your hands
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  02:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
Just wondering if this is "conditioning" (due to my religious background) or if this was indeed "automatic yoga" and is some sort of mudra or something.

Its just as the penis erects automatically when our energy reaches the sensual spot.

Our hands raise automatically when the energy reaches a certain divinity point within us.

Raising hands like this was common among us a very long time ago (before we were thrown on earth).

Then the penis became priority and most humanity is stuck raising it alone.

With meditation we regain the higher levels that we lost. And it feels really good and tears flow when it happens because this is something very ancient and close to our being, our soul.

Hallelujah!

Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  10:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Namaste All

Yesterday I had an interesting automatic yoga experience I would like to share. I was doing my asana practice while listening to the self-titled Trevor Hall album and had just laid down for savasana when I felt a VERY strong urge to lift my hands up towards the sky in "worship".

I come from a Christian background, and in the style of Christianity I grew up in, many people used to lift their hands up towards the heavens while singing "worship songs" at church. I'm not totally sure why this is done in the Christian tradition I grew up in, but I certainly felt the need to do it myself while being in a state of "worship" yesterday.

Just curious to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them or if anyone knows why this felt SO right for me at the time. The hands really "lit up" (I could feel the energy moving through them) when this happened and the heart really opened as well... the tears flowed and there was much joy.

Any thoughts?

Love!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157...2980856e.jpg

P.S> Also found it interesting that in pranayam, directly following the above experience, I had a brief, half-second vision of Jesus at the heart chakra as I passed through it on one of the exhales. Also something new for me

Namaste, Carson.

Similar experiences here, in the years following shaktipat. Spontaneous kriyas of arm-lifting during meditation, accompanied by tears, smiles, feelings of gratitude, and bliss.

Sita Ram!

Suryakant

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Beautiful! And yes, I used to get automatic movements of various types, including very similar to what you described.

And, like Suryakant, I've had very intense ones, as well.

Everyone's individual with this; some never get automatic movements/kriyas, and others get a lot.

And, besides "automatic means automatic" ... when it happens, it feels like the most natural movement in the world (whatever is happening in the moment).

Like Suryakant, I had some intense automatic stuff, too - but there was always a feeling of rightness/natural-ness about it.

And, I've known others who haven't had any, who've realized their true nature just fine; it's a very "custom" thing, like anything on the side of form.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- Love the thread title!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000