Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Khechari Concerns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  04:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Yogani,

I have been snipping my frenum every 3 weeks(about 3 times total). I have also been pushing underneath my tongue to the back, with the tip of the tongue facing up. I feel this horizontal hard line like a tendon or something.

My question is, am I suppose to somehow push through and break that tendon or do I just keep pushing the tip of my tongue upward above it?

-Chela7

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  7:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I am not Yogani.

But I will give you my two pennies worth.

Just keep snipping the hard vertical tendon, which is directly under the tongue. In the same place. You don't want to rip anything, ouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray1202.png

The more you snip, the further back your tongue will go. Until you touch the edge of your soft palate. Then keep pushing forward there and the palate will give way and your tongue will hit your septum. It can take a long time. It took me 6 months to get into stage 2. Yogani for is/was snipping for 20 years! He must have a frenum the size of a mountain! . Joking he said he stopped cutting for long periods of time.

It takes a long time, and I know how frustrating it is to get into stage 2. But good things come to those who wait.
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  8:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Sorry I am not Yogani.

But I will give you my two pennies worth.

Just keep snipping the hard vertical tendon, which is directly under the tongue. In the same place. You don't want to rip anything, ouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray1202.png

The more you snip, the further back your tongue will go. Until you touch the edge of your soft palate. Then keep pushing forward there and the palate will give way and your tongue will hit your septum. It can take a long time. It took me 6 months to get into stage 2. Yogani for is/was snipping for 20 years! He must have a frenum the size of a mountain! . Joking he said he stopped cutting for long periods of time.

It takes a long time, and I know how frustrating it is to get into stage 2. But good things come to those who wait.

Hello Woosa,

Thank you for the reply. I have been pushing my tongue to the back of my throat beyond the soft palate with my fingers. But just beyond my uvula I feel (with the tip of my tongue) this horizontal line. Should I push "through" that "line" with my tongue or go above it. Is the septum inside that line or above it?

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  9:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chela7,

You are doing fine.
Here are a few posts that may help

quote:
Originally posted by Thokar

If you can already touch the uvula and back of the throat with fingers help then theres a very good chance you can get into kechari right now without snipping anymore... The trick to it is when you push your tongue back to the back of the throat with the fingers help then while supporting with the fingers try to push your tongue forward (meaning back towards your mouth) when you do this while continuing to hold the tongue back with the fingers you should feel a kind of elastic, tight tendon... this is actually the flap of the soft palate, the reason your tongue isnt going into kechari isn't because your frenulum is too tight its because the soft palate tendon is very stiff at first... when u feel your tongue press against that stiff tendon continue to push forward(it will feel very strange and uncomfortable the first time) and the soft palate will fold down and hold your tongue in....this is kechari(now once you get to that point that is only stage 2)

The reason I tell you all this is because I sort of went through the same thing when I first got into kechari... kept stretching the tongue thinking the frenulum is the problem, the problem was not knowing about pushing forward to push the soft palate down to form kechari.. In my opinion this really is the trick to it... I believe anyone who can touch the uvula can 100% get into kechari without further snipping.. just the use of finger assistance on the first try and the feeling of the elastic tendon folding the soft palate down...

The "horizontal hard line like a tendon or something" you feel is the elastic band or "the flap of the soft palate," that Thokar is talking about. Yogani talks about the elastic tendon in lesson108 too:
quote:
The soft palate has an elastic tendon running across the back edge. When the tip of the tongue gets behind it for the first time, the elastic tendon can slip quickly around the bottom of the tongue as though grabbing it. Then the tongue is suddenly in the nasal pharynx and touching the edge of the nasal septum for the first time.

This one helped many of us:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi SparkyfoxMD:

A hint that can be helpful: The journey from stage 1 to stage 2 kechari (going behind the soft palate) is actually a thrust forward with the tongue as soon as it clears the back edge. Not up, but forward. The easiest place to do that from (shortest distance to get behind) is on the left or right side of the edge of the soft palate. The tongue can roll right in from either side, while going up the middle takes more length.

Also, keep in mind that the soft palate is not a rigid boundary. As soon as we are behind it, it folds down and forward like a natural trap door. It returns to normal position just as naturally when the tongue is removed from the pharynx. So the idea of the entrance being an opening "way back there" is somewhat of an illusion. As soon as the pharynx is penetrated, the opening expands all the way forward to the edge of the hard palate. See cross-sectional images of kechari here: http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

Carry on!

The guru is in you.

Wish you all the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

Chela7

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Chela7,

You are doing fine.
Here are a few posts that may help

quote:
Originally posted by Thokar

If you can already touch the uvula and back of the throat with fingers help then theres a very good chance you can get into kechari right now without snipping anymore... The trick to it is when you push your tongue back to the back of the throat with the fingers help then while supporting with the fingers try to push your tongue forward (meaning back towards your mouth) when you do this while continuing to hold the tongue back with the fingers you should feel a kind of elastic, tight tendon... this is actually the flap of the soft palate, the reason your tongue isnt going into kechari isn't because your frenulum is too tight its because the soft palate tendon is very stiff at first... when u feel your tongue press against that stiff tendon continue to push forward(it will feel very strange and uncomfortable the first time) and the soft palate will fold down and hold your tongue in....this is kechari(now once you get to that point that is only stage 2)

The reason I tell you all this is because I sort of went through the same thing when I first got into kechari... kept stretching the tongue thinking the frenulum is the problem, the problem was not knowing about pushing forward to push the soft palate down to form kechari.. In my opinion this really is the trick to it... I believe anyone who can touch the uvula can 100% get into kechari without further snipping.. just the use of finger assistance on the first try and the feeling of the elastic tendon folding the soft palate down...

The "horizontal hard line like a tendon or something" you feel is the elastic band or "the flap of the soft palate," that Thokar is talking about. Yogani talks about the elastic tendon in lesson108 too:
quote:
The soft palate has an elastic tendon running across the back edge. When the tip of the tongue gets behind it for the first time, the elastic tendon can slip quickly around the bottom of the tongue as though grabbing it. Then the tongue is suddenly in the nasal pharynx and touching the edge of the nasal septum for the first time.

This one helped many of us:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi SparkyfoxMD:

A hint that can be helpful: The journey from stage 1 to stage 2 kechari (going behind the soft palate) is actually a thrust forward with the tongue as soon as it clears the back edge. Not up, but forward. The easiest place to do that from (shortest distance to get behind) is on the left or right side of the edge of the soft palate. The tongue can roll right in from either side, while going up the middle takes more length.

Also, keep in mind that the soft palate is not a rigid boundary. As soon as we are behind it, it folds down and forward like a natural trap door. It returns to normal position just as naturally when the tongue is removed from the pharynx. So the idea of the entrance being an opening "way back there" is somewhat of an illusion. As soon as the pharynx is penetrated, the opening expands all the way forward to the edge of the hard palate. See cross-sectional images of kechari here: http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

Carry on!

The guru is in you.

Wish you all the best!!!

Hi Shanti,

Thank you so much! I had no idea. Though I am still kinda timid about this tendon, I have to push forward. Thank you so much once again.

-Chela7
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  07:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome Chela7.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  06:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, push forward with the tongue so that it slides directly over the soft palate towards the nose. Once you get past the uvula you slide the tongue up, over the uvula and forward so that you feel the soft palate as a flap of skin and where you previously slid the tongue back and UNDER it you now slide the tongue OVER it and forwards. At that point kechari should make sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000