Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 meditating sitting against an air conditioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chsmithe

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  6:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit chsmithe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'll keep this quite simple. I just moved into a new apartment, and my roomate has one of those lounge sort of pillows sitting on the floor against our air conditioner furnace. This morning after i woke up i began to meditate in my room, sitting cross-legged against my wall.

Then after a while i thought maybe it would be a good idea to sit down against this lounge pillow. And i found the meditation to be quite soothing, as the air conditioner is vibrating at a pleasurable frequency and almost seems to massage my back.

But as usual, my mind has already kicked in and wonders if this will somehow reap negative effects.

Can anyone think of any potential problems in any way, shape, or form from meditating against an air conditioner (with a pillow in between for prolonged amounts of time? (meaning about 30-40 minutes a session).

I can't really think of anything, but my mind is quite irrational these days. So i thought i must ask.

Edited by - chsmithe on Aug 23 2010 6:44:07 PM

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  09:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that springs to mind is that the air conditioner might become a crutch for you. What I mean by that is, is that from the vibrations and back massage may help you meditate, so when you don't have the air conditioner with you, you might find it harder to meditate. Unless you can carry it around with you!

Meditation does not need external influence; its all inner!

Edited by - woosa on Aug 24 2010 09:08:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CH,
- sounds quite amusing as a relax. But very likely, it will make the meditation less deep. I remember Air conditioners in the US and Canada making Jumbo-Jet noises both summer- and wintertime. Some can be switched off for a while, or cheated by presetting an extreme value that makes them stand by temporarily. Some people can even become very sensitive to sitting next to electricity, especially ungrounded cables with AC current.

Apart from fans etc, cities also have disturbing sounds from traffic. The only noises I find helpful are those of a very short duration (for ex., a door being smashed somewhere), they make me more aware, giving me a reminder to check once again what's happening in my meditation.

In general fresh air, quiet, and light are good prerequisites.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  10:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I don't find the sounds of fans or traffic, or anything at all to be disturbing. I actually find the sound of fans to be extremely soothing. Sometimes I go down into the basement at night to meditate because of all the sounds of the furnace, pipes, freezer etc create a nice droney soundscape. I also love the sounds from the city that come in through my windows when I meditate.

To address the actual topic, I think it's fine. Whatever gets you meditating is fine. I guess it could develop into a "crutch" of some sort, but that's just a phase. If you continue with the practice, those crutches will eventually fall away.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Aug 24 2010 10:18:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

matangi

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  8:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit matangi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course it will reap negative effects! And of course it won't reap negative effects! Life is rather amazing that way.

My experience is simply to accept whatever sound, vibration, smell, etc might be present. And when I find myself not accepting to accept not accepting.

I might gently use the "not accepting" as a curiosity but try not to get caught on it.

Good for you for finding peace in what might otherwise be experienced as an obstacle. Maybe just expand the mind a bit and let it all be okay.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000