Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP on Ramadan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  2:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

It's my first post here for a while, hope you are all well As some of you may be aware it's currently the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, in which Muslims fast between sunrise and sunset. Although I'm not of the faith myself I decided to attempt Ramadan this year to experience fasting.

Personally I've felt that the last week since it began has seen some of the most rapid progress I've experienced since starting AYP last October. My practice has come on in leaps and bounds, so much so that I'm beginning to think I may not be able to maintain my current level of practice for the duration of the 30 day fast.

I'm wondering if anyone else here is currently fasting for Ramadan and if so, how is it treating you? I'd love to compare notes.

Salaam and namaste

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  01:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu,

When you say "rapid progress", what do you mean? Would you like to elaborate and share? I am keenly interested.
BTW, if you don't mind sharing, what is the faith you follow?
Krish
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  03:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish and Wafu, i used to do some fasting in the past during this holy month but now i don't...

Dear Wafu, i would watch out for overloading symptoms if i were you because fasting is one very powerful spiritual practice and if you add AYP to it and the divine vibes everywhere from this Holy months then that's like playing with C4. I'd say it looks best if you'd self pace a little on the practices if you intend to keep on a stable routine and lifestyle.

Ramadan karim for everyone(f)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

Love
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  04:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish and Ananda

Krish, I'd be happy to elaborate as much as I can. From Wednesday the 11th when my fasting started I've felt considerable refinement in all of my practices, currently asanas, spinal breathing pranayama, meditation and samyama.

The asanas now leave me feeling quieter and more energized, and seem to integrate much more naturally into to my overall routine. It's much clearer to me now that the asanas are performing the same spiritual function as the rest of my practices, beyond just granting me flexibility and physical health. During savasana at the end of the routine I feel the ecstatic conductivity strongly between ajna and muladhara.

Pranayama has smoothed and deepened noticeably as well. I have always felt some challenge in the visualisation aspect of this practice, now there's much less attention required to "feel" the pathway of energy moving up and down the sushumna. The connection between ajna and muladhara is felt very srongly here as well.

The developments in meditation have been the most profound and enjoyable. The bliss I experience now quite simply leaves me stunned, nothing I have ever known before has come close to it. I feel the mantra resonating along the entire length of the spinal nerve, stimulating both the root and the brow and strengthening the link between the two. Recently I seem to sense a tiny locus of pure joy in some part of me I can't locate physically, and from this source bliss radiates out and fills my whole body. Once upon a time I would have thought myself undeserving of such a blessing, now I understand that I deserve it more than anything, as do we all. We all deserve to know who we truly are.

I began Samyama just over two months ago, and here the sutras seem to encounter far less 'resistance' on their way through me. I seem to be able to focus on each one with a much more subtle intention than before I started the fast, and it's a much more pleasurable and meaningful experience as well.

In short, everything seems to be 'coming together'. During the day I've been feeling simply wonderful . I've grown to love the emptiness and lightness, the sense of being less corporeal that comes with fasting. Every time I feel a pang of hunger it reminds me of my spiritual purpose and a pulse of bliss permeates through me.

I also quit smoking last week. I've been a moderately heavy smoker in the past, but started cutting down ever since I started AYP. I've been having the occasional cigarette every now and again, but the one I smoked the other night seemed to slightly but perceptibly decrease the effectiveness of my practices the next day. Somehow I know for sure this time that it was my last one ever. When I notice that something I do starts to counter the effects of my yoga then there is no contest, out it goes. That's also the process that led me to give up cannabis and other things.

I don't limit myself to any particular religious ideology, for me the various beliefs and traditions surrounding each one can be useful spiritual practices (e.g. Ramadan) which I see as tools to use on my own particular journey.

Ananda,

Thanks very much for your advice, fasting certainly is a very powerful practice as I have learned! I have cut down on the energy cultivating practices (halved my time of SBP and stopped yoni mudra) as I was feeling restless at night and had some difficulty sleeping with a near constant and distracting pulsation in the root and brow chakras. I'll keep your words in my mind as I continue my fast and keep this thread updated.

Thanks and best wishes to you both

Love,

Alex

Edited by - Wafu on Aug 21 2010 06:58:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alex(Wafu),

Thanks for your elaborate response. I share your ideology on "faith", as I think most forumers do here. It is wonderful to know that.

Is it OK to start the fasting now? Pl. give me some details on how this is done. I do fasting once a week, but take fruit and juices. I think when the muslims observe fast, they dont even drink water till sunset. Isn't this tough? But I am ready to do anything required within reason to get results.Of course, subject to self-pacing as reqd.

I do the full AYP routine twice a day, preceded with the SRF kind of energisation exercises.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Aug 22 2010 07:36:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000