Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 lack of motivation from meditating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  12:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi.

I'm interested to hear what effects meditation has had on people's motivation and personal drive.

Here are the positive effects I've experienced after 5 years of meditation (4 years for which meditation was sporadic/occasional, and 1 year of twice daily practice):

-transformation of ability to relate to other people. All my relationships with the people who I regularly interact with, from parents, to work colleagues, to business associate have dramatically improved. This is largely due to vast reduction in all social anxieties, a great increase in my sense of goodwill and connection to people, and the removal of obstructions in my energy/behaviour/emotional patterns allowing me to freely and dynamically express myself and communicate easily and pleasurably with others.

-ultra-calm. My levels of stress and anxiety are virtually non-existent. People comment sometimes "you never seem to be stressed". I live in New York, which some people describe as a stressful city, but I feel incredibly peaceful even on a crowded subway at rush hour.

-heart. I feel gradually my heart-awareness is developing. I have much stronger motivations to be truthful, to be loving, to be helpful and to be in service to other people's greater benefit. Before I was incredibly selfish. I'm still very flawed, in my view, but I feel that the obstruction of selfishness is diminishing.

Now the negative effect / one major concern which is really my only care in the world right now. I feel there's a considerable decrease in my level of self-motivation. I'm in a high-pressure, high-earning career in which holding onto my job requires me to perform and to dedicate myself to succeeding.

When I was narrow-mindedly selfish, and very driven by material gains, and also motivated by anxiety and fear of failure, I was able to drive myself incredibly hard into performing well. In this more expanded and joyful experience of life I now have, in which there is no anxiety, I no longer seem to care about success. I'm not used to existing in this carefree and peaceful state, and I'm becoming anxious that I don't seem to be able to drive myself with the ferocity that I once did.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and can perhaps offer any advice? In the meantime, I'm trying to work my hardest at my job, and I have some potential successes in the pipeline, but I just don't feel confident that I'm going to keep on generating the relative successes that I have in the past.

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  12:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

hmmmmm I feel the same way and been through the same ordeal when it comes to interacting with people. I am more of people person now............and I know what you experienced/experiencing......

The difference is I still get stressed but I am more capable of handling it.....

Worrying about maintaining that peace of mind isn't going to get you anywhere besides more worry.

If you are peaceful now your body will always yearn for that peace of mind....just let it flow....you know that

a gentle reminder we all need.........never give in to the fear of anything!
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  1:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Neesha. 'Never give in to fear of anything' is true! However, I'm still keen to hear the answers of others who've experienced such things. I'm having great difficulty determining a practical course of action.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Even without meditation there is often a change in core personal values. Most people often experience shifts in values at or around specific ages. One such change is usually in the 40's when spiritual matters become more of a driver.

You can evaluate your current values by simply asking the question "what is important to me about my work/job/business?" You should find between 5 and 10 values. In turn rank the values by comparing with the other values and you should take between 5 and 7 top values as those most important to you.

If you did the same a few years ago then the values would probably have been different, hence your current motivation is also different because the values have changed.

I went through this change about 5 years ago, moving from a highly paid sales role to a role that was more about helping people other than myself. I found it very rewarding.

Due to circumstances changing I have now returned to my previous employer in a mid management position. Despite this seeming like a return to the previous hedonistic career path, in reality my true aim is simply to help. It does not matter if that help is aimed at getting the company to succeed, the employees to feel valued, or the customers to be pleased with service.

In effect I am not driven by the money, the position or any form of power. Simply to do and do it well is enough. If that results in huge bonuses, increased profit, or respect is of no consequence.

This might give you some sense of what can be. You can still do your job even after the focus and primary motivation has shifted. There is no requirement to get out of the situation(if that is required it will happen soon enough without the need to lift a finger ).

It is often said. Before enlightenment chop sticks and carry water, after enlightenment chop sticks and carry water. Between this state is a restless position where neither carrying on, stopping or changing seems quite right. This is part of the changes that are occuring within and when the time is right situations will occur which create further changes.

Understanding that you have changed in some way is a vindication of your efforts and growth. Once the wheel is turning all it needs is constant gentle attention.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  2:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mr_anderson,

I'm in a similar place as you, so I can't say I have any answers/solutions. Most of my time is spent resting and being lazy, then I do my homework and family duties at the last minute. Somehow it's worked out so far

But I feel that it's ego trying to assert its relevance. Maybe you're seeing that you don't need ego so much to survive in the world. But of all the places you'd need ego for something, it's achieving in career and the workplace, climbing the corporate ladder or whatever. So it whispers doubt into your ear, "you're gonna lose your motivation and fail in business".

Maybe I'm wrong. Just an idea.

If this is the case, then trust is probably a good idea. That's what I'm going with anyways. Trust that I'm not going to drop the ball and fail in life. Trust that I can surrender to Life and everything will work out as it should.

Hope you find your answer somewhere

With Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Aug 23 2010 2:56:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
karl and cosmic - both great answers and very useful to me. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  01:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  03:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I relate to most of what you are saying Mr Anderson.
http://www.aypsite.org/28.html - might help...
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mr_anderson,
I agree with:
quote:
Originally posted by karl
It is often said. Before enlightenment chop sticks and carry water, after enlightenment chop sticks and carry water. Between this state is a restless position

Plus, the meditation is a catalyst. It supports the transforms that were already "in the pipeline" inside. It blows away the "lid", so whatever was simmering in there comes close enough to consciousness, becomes visible - be good or bad. Sometimes, you detach from the "game" but continue to play it good, and sometimes you quit to join a different game. The detachment acquired through meditation is helpful, either way.

The (too frequent, IMHO.) periods of not knowing-whatta-hell's-going-on in life are part of being a man, of responding to challenges which strengthen the Shiva pole, without being sure you'll be in control every second of it, as opposed to harvesting lots of praise and sympathy from bosses in a secure, comfortable, never-changing environment (that would only strengthen one's female pole, Shakti). Self-pacing is helpful, as usual. Some folks are set soaring by extreme off-pist, others are just as happy with steep on-pist; although contemplating neither an Everest climb without oxygen nor military service in war, I still think tantra has an important point about polarity here. A hard-earned success strengthens one's male qualities more than a cheap yet glamorous one.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Aug 24 2010 10:02:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

matangi

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit matangi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mr. Anderson,

It seems you pose an excellent question. I'm not sure exactly what effects meditation proper has had on my motivation and personal drive and the reason I'm not sure is because my underlying viewpoint on life has been meditative since I was a small child. (Questions like what's it all about, why am I here, who am I?}

However, being born with a certain life savvy overlay on my deeper questions, I feel like I understand what you are asking. There was a point when I was trying to "be somebody" and frankly, this was a useful journey because I got to my "destination" and laughed. (Well, kinda' laughed at first until it sunk in deeper.) I realized that all my striving and positioning were ultimately meaningless - in that what I thought - that I would "be somebody" - was an illusion. One big fat carrot that I thought mattered. It didn't.

It sounds like you might be at the in-between place. Still remembering the taste of how you lived and what fueled your engine but not quite at that place where what fuels your place in life has engaged. It is a challenging place. I have deep respect for your willingness to be there as awkward (uncomfortable?) as it might feel.

If I were you I would keep on as you are going. You, in my opinion, are so blessedly heading in the direction that we will all be turned eventually that it can only be good.

It takes courage though!

My best to you.
Go to Top of Page

matangi

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit matangi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot one thing Mr Anderson that I think may be important. If you continue on your present journey (meditation and other practices) there is a very good chance the success will be there....funny thing is you probably won't care one way or the other. That's when it really gets fun!

Life is a beautiful thing!

My best to you.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Matangi - that's an interesting response.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000