Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Good thoughts and bad thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste:

From past some time, I am getting in to a mind game trap. I would be feeling great, and suddenly there is a bad thought induced to my mind, as if to destroy the goodness I am feeling. It also happens when I am praying or sometimes during meditation. The thought ranges from sexual to jealousy, guilt to harming some one and all are imaginative in nature. In few instances, I am able to overcome these thoughts and continue what I am doing, but not always. Can anyone guide me as to why this is happening, and what should I do ? (if discussed before, please provide a link).

My daily practice includes DM (twice daily) and I do Lord Ganapati Homam daily morning ( I combine DM into my Homam routine).

Thank you for this forum. It's been a great help to me.

Regards,

Hemanth

Anakletos4

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  9:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Look into somewhat self-pacing in order to cut down your symptoms. Maybe do DP once a day for a week or two or until the symptoms go away and don't come back.

You probably have too much energy in your head, and it's causing over-purification. Too much release, much too quickly!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  06:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hemanth,

This is quite normal, and it means you have a human mind. As you continue with the meditation practice you gradually begin to see the thoughts more and more as what they are, just energy fluctuations in the mind. It will become easier and easier to simply favour the mantra over the thoughts. As this becomes habitual in meditation, it will also become habitual in daily life. You will be able to focus simply on what is present (what is real) and not get dragged away by thoughts about what is not real.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Sunny and Christi:

Thank you for replies. As of now, I will just continue to do DM (may be for less time) and see, if anything changes. What you guys are saying make some sense to me.

Christi Said:
"You will be able to focus simply on what is present (what is real) and not get dragged away by thoughts about what is not real"

Thats where I want to reach..

I was wondering, is it ok to chant the mantra mentally other times ? or it has to be done only during meditation ?

Regards,
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  9:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hemanthks

I was wondering, is it ok to chant the mantra mentally other times ? or it has to be done only during meditation ?

Hi Hemanth, repeating the mantra outside of sitting meditation is not recommended in AYP. It can be easy to overdo it and create uncomfortable symptoms.

Hope this helps
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Cosmic,

Thank you. I will try not do do it. Sometimes, I find myself doing it involuntarily. Today morning, after meditation, I found that the mantra was still repeating by it-self. So I had to sit quietly for some-time, allowing the mantra to subside. May be I am thinking about the mantra too much ? and I need to relax I guess.

Regards,
Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  8:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Hemanth,

This is quite normal, and it means you have a human mind. As you continue with the meditation practice you gradually begin to see the thoughts more and more as what they are, just energy fluctuations in the mind. It will become easier and easier to simply favour the mantra over the thoughts. As this becomes habitual in meditation, it will also become habitual in daily life. You will be able to focus simply on what is present (what is real) and not get dragged away by thoughts about what is not real.

Christi

Altho I would tend to agree with you, Christi. I have no idea what normal is, esp. when it comes to the human mnd. I use the one I've got as it's the only one I've got. That being said, and I always say that ;D, I too suffer from these fluctuations. But sometimes these fluctuations are pleasant, like sexual fluctuations, lol. These thots, for some reason we don't mind, but really the key is to observe them all, right? Be the observer. And I think this is the value of meditation. It gives you the perspective, the space, the environment, to be the observer of what's going on in your mind. So, yes, I agree, but I also think that all thoughts are not real. That's my opinion. Words are rascals they are. All comments welcome. I love to be wrong.

Love,

JDas
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And like Baba Ram Dass says, 'The mind is a perfect servant, but a lousy master.'
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Hemanth

quote:

Today morning, after meditation, I found that the mantra was still repeating by it-self. So I had to sit quietly for some-time, allowing the mantra to subside.

This can happen sometimes if you don't get enough rest after practice. Everyone is different, but 5 to 10 minutes of rest should be good. Some people might even need more.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Namaste:

From past some time, I am getting in to a mind game trap. I would be feeling great, and suddenly there is a bad thought induced to my mind, as if to destroy the goodness I am feeling. It also happens when I am praying or sometimes during meditation. The thought ranges from sexual to jealousy, guilt to harming some one and all are imaginative in nature. In few instances, I am able to overcome these thoughts and continue what I am doing, but not always. Can anyone guide me as to why this is happening, and what should I do ? (if discussed before, please provide a link).

My daily practice includes DM (twice daily) and I do Lord Ganapati Homam daily morning ( I combine DM into my Homam routine).

Thank you for this forum. It's been a great help to me.

Regards,

Hemanth

Good thoughts, bad thoughts... they are all just appearances outside of yourself. Whether it's a sensation in the body, a thought, or the chirping of a bird... all just appearances within consciousness.

The same thing just taking different forms.

It's like clay. Instead of reacting to the forms that are shaped out of the clay. See the clay for what it is.

Thus nonduality. Think of everything that passes through consciousness as raw data, there is then a part of you that is conditioned to react. It's not the thoughts that are bad/good/ it is your reaction to them.

If you tell an infant to "go to hell" the infant will simply smile at you as it is not yet conditioned to react. The thoughts themselves are neutral, in fact everything is...

All clouds passing by.
Why focus on the clouds when you are the sky...

Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDas
So, yes, I agree, but I also think that all thoughts are not real. That's my opinion. Words are rascals they are. All comments welcome. I love to be wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo
Think of everything that passes through consciousness as raw data, there is then a part of you that is conditioned to react. It's not the thoughts that are bad/good/ it is your reaction to them.

Namaste:

Thoughts are for real? I don't know. Even the desire for realization is a thought! and is it for real? My journey started with a thought of finding the purpose of this life. For me they were as "real" as sexual or any other "bad" thoughts.

How do I "think" that everything that passes through consciousness as raw data? Is it not a thought in itself? and is it not a reconditioning?

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  11:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughts are real from one perspective, and not real from another. There are no bad thoughts, but habitual repeating of thoughts can cause bad perception.
Instead of repeating a mantra outside of practice, turn your attention to God, or whatever your highest ideal is named. Every time you feel the bad perception starting, think of this, and your devotion to this ideal (see "bhakti" in the yoga FAQ).
This helps turn your attention away from bad thought habits.
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  06:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
So, yes, I agree, but I also think that all thoughts are not real. That's my opinion. Words are rascals they are. All comments welcome. I love to be wrong.

quote:
Think of everything that passes through consciousness as raw data, there is then a part of you that is conditioned to react. It's not the thoughts that are bad/good/ it is your reaction to them.

Namaste:

Thoughts are for real? I don't know. Even the desire for realization is a thought! and is it for real? My journey started with a thought of finding the purpose of this life. For me they were as "real" as sexual or any other "bad" thoughts.

How do I "think" that everything that passes through consciousness as raw data? Is it not a thought in itself? and is it not a reconditioning?

Regards

Thoughts pass. There's one, a 'bad' one, and there it goes; another one, but it's good; I feel good, but there IT goes and the feeling along with it. Where'd they all go? But all the time I am here, just like I was last week or 20 years ago. Right? Thanks for bringing this up. Helped me out, too.

LOve,

Jon
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

Namaste:

Regards

Thoughts are only as real as the amount of attention you put on them. In fact that is true about anything. It's like the child who is afraid of monsters in the closet. The monsters become more real as the child focuses more attention on it.

In an absolute sense, no thoughts are not 'real' in an absolute sense, nothing is...

Thoughts are just a collection of your past, images, words, concepts, that have been woven together to create a pseudo-identity. Remember 'you' don't exist. This mechanism within us tries to find a sense of self-identity in everything because it can't deal with the fact that it doesn't exist. That's its nature that's the way it's been conditioned.

Furthermore, does this 'mechanism' exist? In an absolute sense no. in a relative sense, it's just an impulse, and well you could continue to go down the rabbit hole as much as you'd like to with this one.

john
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  12:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste All:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

@Etherfish: Can Bhakti be increased? Some times I have this intense Bhakti/devotion that tears flow automatically (yearning to see Him). At times there is none. Why is this ? How to be there always (at intense Bhakti)?

----
At present, I am facing two issues with DM:

1. Few min to meditation, my neck feels very stiff / locked. It feels like impossible to move. There is some tension in my shoulder blades. How do I over come this?

2. There is some sensation in my heart area (from past 3-4 days). I have this the whole day. One night I felt cold sensation (like ice melting and spreading). Does this sensation go-away by itself?

Hope its ok to ask these questions here.

Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  7:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Try some relevant asanas or joint releasing type of exercises.

2. In the heart area I usually have a burning/melting feeling instead of an icy-spreading feeling - I get that in the forehead! Don't know if it goes away though, been getting it for a few years now.

quote:

The thought ranges from sexual to jealousy, guilt to harming some one and all are imaginative in nature.

This can be overcome to a degree by introducing ideas into the subconscious that are opposite of the thoughts arising in your mind.

For example if its jealosy, then imagine that person and wish them real happiness. Imagine them being content and satisfied. And at the same time remember the source of your own happiness, that which is not on the outside, not something that someone can possess or achieve, that which is always with you regardless of what happens. This kind of contemplation can be used with most undesired thoughts.

These bodies and souls are temporary, anything the two eyes can see is just a mirage. Our true nature is always pure and can't be touched by this world, so why feel any guilt? If we harm others then that's like harming ourselves, every bit of pain we cause comes back to us. Why not try to make others happy instead? Etc.. etc..

As for sexual thoughts, they are overcome with celibacy and/or tantric practices.

Edited by - Chiron on Aug 28 2010 8:13:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Everyone:

For some reason, I was going through the responses again today. I realized that I am following most of the advises. Funny thing is, When I read these responses initially, nothing really stuck to my head and there was no intention of following them. I have no clue how I started doing it, it's like magic :)

I am quoting these lines, which stood out for me when I read this time and it is because I have started recognizing and following them.

Thank You again, this forum is awesome!

Sincerely
Hemanth

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfisth

Instead of repeating a mantra outside of practice, turn your attention to God, or whatever your highest ideal is named. Every time you feel the bad perception starting, think of this, and your devotion to this ideal

quote:

These thots, for some reason we don't mind, but really the key is to observe them all, right? Be the observer. And I think this is the value of meditation. It gives you the perspective, the space, the environment, to be the observer of what's going on in your mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Chiron

For example if its jealosy, then imagine that person and wish them real happiness. Imagine them being content and satisfied. And at the same time remember the source of your own happiness, that which is not on the outside, not something that someone can possess or achieve, that which is always with you regardless of what happens. This kind of contemplation can be used with most undesired thoughts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000