Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditating sitting on a chair or lying down?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adan

Spain
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  08:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I read in the lessons that meditation should be done sitting, but It's quite uncomfortable to me so I'd rather meditate lying on my bed. Is it right? Does the meditation have the same effect?

Thank you

Adán

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  9:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lying down is not advised. You lie down when you sleep or drop dead. Seriously, unless there is some medical condition, sitting is best. I think I read somewhere that you don't want to interfere with the natural process of sleeping, i.e., training the body for a different thing. I'm sure there are esoteric reasons too. Meditation leads to stillness, but a wakeful one.

Maybe your posture is an issue? Did you try sitting on a comfortable chair, or if on bed, arranging pillows to help out? I found that a folded pillow shoved behind at the lumbar region gives my back a better easy poise.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  01:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Adán

The main reason not to lie down is because it can be easy to fall asleep that way. But if lying down is the only comfortable way for you, then it's okay, you can still benefit from meditation. Sitting in a chair is okay too.

Do you have a reclining chair? Maybe that can work if sitting is not comfortable for you.

Hope you find the way

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Adan

Spain
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jo-self and Cosmic for your answers . It's kind of a strange thing but yesterday I tried to meditate sitting for first time and it was rather good. My mind calmed and I didn't even care of my body . I was trying till yesterday and I used to feel uncomfortable, but apparently something has changed . Thanks

Love,

Adán
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000