Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Does anyone keep an AYP diary?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone keeps an AYP diary.
I have been pondering on writing a few lines about how the daily sessions went.
Interested in finding out your experiences and thoughts with diary keeping.
love
mathurs

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to keep a daily journal of all my practices and their "results." I'd say I did it for about a solid year before finally giving it up. I found at the beginning it was very helpful in training my mindfulness. Forcing myself to write about my experiences ensured that I wasn't just allowing myself to fall into some black hole of unawareness for my entire session.

Eventually the practice fell away from me and I've never taken it up again; Probably never will. I no longer feel it is useful for me. It was useful at one time though, and I feel it was important in getting my daily practice established and certainly don't regret the time spent doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  08:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I started one, think I had 5 entries then the diary is blank.
I am really lazy!!!

This forum is like a diary for many. Not an every day/every practice kind, but an overall progress kinda diary.

I have some of my milestones that I talked about at the forum put into a blog here.

About keeping a daily diary I guess some do:
http://www.aypsite.org/232.html

It is a personal choice for sure. In The Secrets Of Wilder (SOW), John kept a journal of what he was experiencing every day... and that is where the book and AYP came from.

So if you feel drawn to write things down, do so. You never know, we may have another great novel from your diary some day.

In the long run, as CWL has written above and as Yogani says here,
On the forgetting, it is funny how that works. At one point, we may have carried a pencil with us to record the many inspirations that come from rising inner silence, or perhaps we have been busily going through mental checklists in daily life. In time, we find we do not need the pencil or the mental checklists so much anymore, when we realize that everything is being taken care of by the endless divine flow pouring through us. As purification and opening advance, the natural flow is available to us according to the need of the moment. There is no way to catch all that intelligence pouring out with a pencil or a checklist. So we can let much of it go. When we need something, it will be there.

The forgetting is letting go of the past, and the future. Whatever we need from memory of the past will be there, whenever we need it from the river of love surging out through our purified nervous system. And the future will take care of itself. We only need attend to right now.
the writing will subside and the knowing will take over... then all we need to know will be right here with us, every moment.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have a few writings........but some of my experiences are documented right here!

I needed it to assess experiences in terms of mind control since I found out alot of amazing things about the mind without having actually read anything. I now use my experiences and continue reading the sciptures Bhagavad Geeta,major books like the Shiv Pooran etc......

In this way I can use my acquired knowledge with ancient ones to help myself, others........and most importantly praise GOD.

I have to document things because my son who is not on the spiritual pathway.......have been having experiences...he is 11yrs.........So I have to break down things in simple english.

He is becoming more spiritual everyday whether I wanted it,or him...........

These writings are to help him, for him to continue the good work (hopefully) and become a helpful person to society and those around him.

Most things cannnot be imparted by writing......you need the "virtual" experiences.

Srange huh just last night I was thinking about POsting up an actual JOURNAL on AYP.....but I know the spiritual heads might not agree. I'm still thinking about it though
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Neesha

Srange huh just last night I was thinking about POsting up an actual JOURNAL on AYP.....but I know the spiritual heads might not agree. I'm still thinking about it though

Hi Neesha,
You are welcome to start a topic and continue posting new posts in that one topic about your journey in the Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing forum.
TI has done it here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3691
John Kimbrough has done it here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=934
There are a few more, but I cannot remember who right now.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Writing, in whatever form, can be a useful aid on our path -- a mirror of our journey, and a tool for awakening.

See this lesson on "The power of the pen, and the keyboard" : http://www.aypsite.org/395.html

The lessons immediately before and after that one add further perspective on the spiritual role written communications can play in online forums.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

See this lesson on "The power of the pen, and the keyboard" : http://www.aypsite.org/395.html

That's the lesson I was looking for.
Thanks Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  7:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmmm quite interesting easier said that done.......I only come to the Satsang cafe.......I'm not a regular visitor to AYP....only when I am drawn specifically to AYP then I would pounce up since I'm on vacation for 2 weeks.....a Journal is possible......but quite too much info to type.....

How about a new thread name Journal in Satsang cafe???

Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i keep random journals scattered around the house and write a word or a page whenever.. haven't read them yet, but there's a whole drawer full now
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  02:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep a kind of diary on excel where I record when I start a new practice, how long the practice, if there are noticeable consequences and also the main problems I encounter etc... It is organized in columns, a column for each year, so, for instance, I can see on the same lines what I was doing in august this last two years - as I began AYP exactly on 05/26/2008.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  10:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gosh the experience was soo beautiful...........at the moment.... why didn't I think about a database at that time. Well lets start one....
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  11:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

re: I am really lazy!!!

nah, you are not lazy

this is more like it:::::>

In time, we find we do not need the pencil or the mental checklists so much anymore, when we realize that everything is being taken care of by the endless divine flow pouring through us. As purification and opening advance, the natural flow is available to us according to the need of the moment. There is no way to catch all that intelligence pouring out with a pencil or a checklist. So we can let much of it go. When we need something, it will be there.

Tks for those words in your blog. Spectacular! I passed them onto other folks.

You rock!

jdas
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  12:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JDas!!!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  5:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to share that I wrote a diary for 10 years starting with the cancer in 1996. It is 5 or 6 notebooks and contains all of the major shifts up until AYP came my way in 2006.

Those years of writing were very helpful.....there is great power in seeing oneself reflected like that.

Eventually......I came to see that every time I felt the urge to translate direct experiences or insights into words for fear of losing it..or forgetting it....this was itself the leaving of it. Mind craving permanence for itself :) So gradually I learned to not talk about it while it was happening...not even to myself. But instead staying with the facticity of it. Since it was this that was the integration, the ongoing intuition, the presence - the truth.

However - for seeing what I am not; nothing was more helpful than writing those diaries

In the diaries there would also be reflections on direct experience...after it had happened and was integrated. This was helpful not so much for not forgetting, but rather for seeing how the previous days and months of "kicking and screaming" that led up to an opening always carried the same dynamic: Slowly learning to let go into silence.

And then....like for Shanti....the forum here became a diary of sorts. And much more also - the forum was my first exposure to kindered spirits with regards to meditation and spiritual practices. Up until then I was a solitary warrior

But these days I mostly feel like just being quiet and let the living come of itself and say what it must when it must. It still includes some kicking and screaming, in fact it includes all kinds of things - but that is ok, it won't kill me
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  8:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Katrine,

Did you overcome your cancer?

It is good to be quiet sometimes......I look forward to it at night thats why i wake through the entire night.

We have had a few cases of cancer in our Ashram,at least when I was an active participant....they healed....

Of course it was not an automatic process........gradual though

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  8:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone

If I had known the profound impact AYP was going to have on my life, I would've taken better notes from the outset. Especially since researchers such as kami are now looking into the effects of AYP.

No regrets here. Those of you who are keeping journals are doing a great service to the yoga community and humanity and I applaud you.

Much Love to you all
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  05:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neesha

quote:
Hey Katrine,

Did you overcome your cancer?

Thankfully the cancer was curing a deeper illness

I was supposed to have chemotherapy for 6 months and 5 years of hormones (and radiation if I had chosen another operation), but instead I changed my diet back to macrobiotic (which together with meditation had cured the arthritis some years before that), continued to meditate but with a totally different persepctive, and for real started the long winding road from here to here. Self-inquiry begun for real back then, and both suddenly and gradually the insubstantiality of the "me" revealed itself. For me it has taken years and years...time...many, many nows...much Bhakti.....much grace......to surrender to the fact that my identity is not what is thought and felt and bodily sensed, but that neither is it separate from that very expression.

Even though the cancer had spread to the lymph it never went any further after that. I took tests for 5 years, they were all negative. Since then I trust that the body is fine. May I never forget how lucky I am to be in it.

All Grace - that's what it is

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  07:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Katrine,

I am glad things worked out for you.....it must have been quite a struggle.

I am happy you are here now to be amongst us and share your experiences.

I hope others would take pattern too. Anything can be overcome with effort and determination, and love.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  04:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
Thanks for all your responses.

Shanti and Yogani: I do remember reading this lesson - now that it has been pointed out. Thanks for that and for pointing me to your blog - very inspiring. I don't think any novels are going to come out of my records though ...

Buffle37: I think this was the sort of recording that I had in mind. Yours seems very organised. I hope mine will be half as organised and discplined as yours.

Delta33: My plan is to keep them online somewhere. Dont know if I will read them regular but would be nice to know how far on the mountain I have come and be reminded of scenery changing.

Katrine: Thanks for your inspiring words and an affirmation like Yogani's that keeping a record/ diary might help. My hesitance was that by recording the events I did not want to be focussing on scenery too much. However my dilema also is that I do not want to be like the forgetful mountain climber that Yogani mentions and like cosmic says I want to make sure I record the impact that AYP is having on my daily life which may eventually help others.

Neesha: I am glad my post has spurred a journal entry. Look forward to reading it.

Go to Top of Page

DansInEveryWay

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  12:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey mathurs,

i have a zen timer on my phone that gives the option of writing a journal entry after each session. it is a program for android, but i'm sure they probably have one for the iphone too if you use either one of those types of cell phones. the developer is spotlightsix.com (they have really nice singing bowl recordings for the timer tones too! anyway, not a pitch, i'm just sayin...)

so what i wanted to say was that it is inspiring to look back and see your progress if you are having an off day or week. but, of course, there is the danger of building expectations of experiences when reviewing notable sessions of DM. so just make sure if you write a journal, it is for documentation purposes only, as opposed to making a log of experiences that that you use as a means of evaluation of your ongoing practice.

Edited by - DansInEveryWay on Oct 05 2010 03:10:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  04:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dansineveryway for the timer suggestion also will keep it at the back of mind your point about the diary being a documetation tool rather than an evaluation method. This is exactly was my concern.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000