AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Deja vu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  1:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All

Just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed a severe increase in deja vu experiences since starting twice daily AYP practices. I didn't at first, but recently there has been a staggering increase in deja vu experiences here (often a couple times a day). Just wondering if anyone has any insight into why this may be occurring.

Love!

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  4:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Namaste All

Just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed a severe increase in deja vu experiences since starting twice daily AYP practices. I didn't at first, but recently there has been a staggering increase in deja vu experiences here (often a couple times a day). Just wondering if anyone has any insight into why this may be occurring.

Love!

I don't know, I can takes some guesses.

There is a tendency to be more aware. It has the effect of increasing concentration and being more observant. The more observant, the more similar situations are noticed.

We build up generalisations in the mind (a car is driven like that, a door opens like this), once we learn the mechanism for something we generalise around it.

The awareness seems to have the effect of looking for more situations to create generalisations around. In effect to become aware of how this process happens during unconscious learning. Deja vu is the mind noticing the similarities and trying to tie them to an operating function or generalisation.

If we are not so aware, then most times we are oblivious to this process.

The other take on this is that the created world is full of repeated operations, tiny variations on repeated themes a bit like a theme running through classical music. A tiny few notes and rythyms create an illusion of vast change (like the butterfly effect)and this has become far more obvious as awareness expands.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  5:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take a crack at this

In the no-time stillness of being all appearances/experiences originate as one and appear together as one.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  7:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,

I have noticed something very weird, some time after starting practices. Sometimes an event happens maybe just a small thing that I notice, and a strange feeling is there that "This has already happened", like I "know" what just happened, a feeling of familiarity. But I feel that the exact thing happened or a very ancient and vague feeling of familiarity, like I've seen this thing happen before. Sometimes I think that I've done that thing before, but other times, it's just that ancient feeling.

I read a book a couple of years ago, "Journey of Souls", where people go into a deep state and describe the life of their souls between incarnations, and there is a part there where people in this consciousness describe how their soul planned some key events for their next life, or "flags", that when a person see in their life, somehow give them a sense of how they can continue.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  11:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson, Cant give any explanations but yes this does also happen to me a lot, I must admit I really enjoy it, its like everything becomes very familiar and I get the feeling I am safe (weird maybe but not for me).

Its sort of like the feeling when a word is on the tip of your tongue but you can't actually remember it but you know you know it, except it includes feelings, images and even personality shifts or a feeling of being different but familiar. I can even induce them by being around the things I remember when it happens. Anyway pretty hard to explain I guess but yes I do have more frequent deja vu and I must admit I rather enjoy them.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the great feedback!

I'd like to clarify exactly what I mean by "deja vu", and then share the situation that spurred me into writing this post.

What I am experiencing and calling deja vu are situations in which there is a feeling that what is currently happening, is something I have experienced before. For example, yesterday while I was at work, I had a very strong deja vu experience. My boss came out of his office and started talking to me about some work related stuff. A couple of words into his first sentence I realized that I knew exactly what was about to come out of his mouth. I literally was able to speak the same words he was, at the same time he was speaking them (I said the words in my head not out loud). I also knew that there was going to be another worker coming around the corner before he actually did. I know that this situation had not actually happened before (due to the specifics of the situation it isn't possible that this conversation had happened before) and I know that I wasn't "tricking" myself into thinking that I knew what was going to happen before it did. I actually knew what was going to be said, before it was said, and this "knowing" was accompanied by a very strong "feeling" in the body of having experienced this situation before. How is this possible? I don't know. But it is happening with more and more regularity. Not concerned, but my interest is certainly piqued.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  10:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson - that sounds more like some form of precognition rather than deja vu. If you have a look at the Wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precognition

and scroll down to Subliminal Awareness, there are some interesting theories on how this might come about.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  10:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a form of purification Carson. It can stay for a while, or go away. Finally time, past, future is just a body/mind experience. As you are transcending body/mind, time dissolves so does past and future.

http://www.thecourse.org.uk/nmq.html
"To locate a thing you need space, to place an event you need time; but the timeless and spaceless defies handling. It makes everything perceivable, yet itself is beyond perception. The mind cannot know what is beyond the mind, but the mind is known by what is beyond it." ~ NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ

"Go beyond 'I-am-the-body' idea and you will find that space and time are in you and not you in space and time." ~ NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste All

@Amoux: That was an interesting article...thank you for sharing. Some of the "jargon" made me go but that was nice because it made me do some extra research which gave me some great food for inquiry, so....thanks!

@Shanti: So, as you yourself transcended the body/mind, did you have experiences like this? Precognitive experiences where you knew what was going to happen as it was (or even slightly before it was) happening?

These experiences leave the body/mind with such a weird feeling.....a feeling that I find very hard to describe. It's almost like dreaming while awake, like just for a few moments your body/mind "shuts off" and you find yourself in "dreamstate", even though you are technically still awake. It seems fairly easy to "shake off" this feeling, but it is still there for a few moments none the less. I have an intuitive feeling that if I allowed the "feeling" to stay a bit longer (this would have to occur in the right "setting" in order for this to be appropriate.....at work is not an appropriate setting in which for me to try this) that I could easily leave the body and do some astral traveling or dare I say it, "time traveling" . I guess it almost reminds me of some of the experiences I used to have during some of the ketamine trips I have taken in the past.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for all the input.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  05:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson,

i def get this strong deju vu from time to time.

i don't think its precognition or whatever... it really is what we refer to as deja vu.

i can only speculate, but i tend to think that these experiences have been pre planned, or "mapped" in another dimension of consciousness, possibly during sleep.

just another mystery i suppose! one day humanity will have the answers to these questions, but for now....
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  09:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is funny, the other day I was going to post something along these lines. I have recently had an increase in Deja vu experiences, a very familiar feeling, so you're definitely not alone in this. Just a guess but it could be a brief type of awakening, that sense of familiarity of everything etc.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

@Shanti: So, as you yourself transcended the body/mind, did you have experiences like this? Precognitive experiences where you knew what was going to happen as it was (or even slightly before it was) happening?

Hi Carson,
Sorry I missed this. Yes, I have experienced it and still do at times. The wonder factor or as you call it a "weird feeling..... It's almost like dreaming while awake, like just for a few moments your body/mind "shuts off" and you find yourself in "dreamstate", even though you are technically still awake." really will die down. It feels normal, like how else could it be?

The 2010 AYP retreat was something like that. Like I knew about it before it happened. When it happened, it was like, duh!! how else can it be? It has been happening even before the first words were spoken about it. The same was with the location it is going to be at. Makes me realize how silly it is to think we really are making anything happen or worrying about how things unfold.

It all has been playing out even before we have a thought about it. Like I wrote to someone recently:
"What happened this evening was set into motion even before you were born, just like a wave in the ocean has bound to form even before it did form due to the pull of the earth, the moon, the rotation of the earth and planetary pulls and winds and earthquakes, and... a million other factors. So don't get into a thinking about it/analyzing it mode... love it all. :)".

The thoughts can only happen in time and space, but as we are going beyond, the past, present and future is all here, right now.
Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  3:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit late in the piece, but yes, I have had frequent moments of deja-vu.
Not many these days, but I used to get a lot of split-second flashes of my future.

Sometimes a vision would come, and I'd forget about it. Then months or years later, the reality would arrive, precisely as visioned. I'd then remember just when I had the original flash.

Although awareness is timeless, nature evolves entropically, giving rise to a timelike analogue. I am convinced that we can see into nature's unfolding, however, I haven't found it useful in any way, and tend to file it under "interesting curiosity". I experience it as a moment of connection with an aspect of my true nature that feels deeper and different to Awareness-in-the-moment.

There are other forms of deja-vu, which relate to similar, rather than identical experiences as well, but I expect you now know about all of those as well.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000