AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Alcohol Influence on Spiritually Advanced
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ventilator

15 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  3:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ventilator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
All,

Do spiritually advanced people

- Need to drink more than normal people to get "high"
OR
- Need to drink lesser than normal people to get "high"

What are your thoughts? What does your experience say?

Put in another way, can we use a person's ability to get influenced by alcohol a means of judging his spiritual progress?

- Ventilator

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Put in another way, can we use a person's ability to get influenced by alcohol a means of judging his spiritual progress?

- Ventilator

IMHO it is best not to judge...
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  8:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ventilator

All,

OR

- Ventilator

First, I agree w/Machart ---- best not to judge ---- anyone, anything, anywhere, ever --- judgment, evaluation --- is always the problem; never the solution.

To realize our own true nature, what matters is noticing the experiencer (what is it that is experiencing this moment, now?) .... and not any of the content of experience (i.e. anything that we, or anyone else, appears to be doing at the body-mind level).

I hope this is useful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience,

I need to drink more than any one else to get high....
it is not advisable.....because afterwards u need to double up on all efforts to get back on track.......or begin again to follow through what u was originally doing

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everybody,
IMHO, I'm happy without drinking but self pacing is as important here as elsewhere in yoga; when your body wants to finally quit it, you'll notice.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As I have been on the path, I have actually found that it is hard to drink. It tastes bad and my body rebels.

Regards, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  09:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

(...) it is hard to drink. It tastes bad and my body rebels.

I agree there seems to be a point of no return.
shanti /Hatha
Go to Top of Page

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  12:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I come from a family that likes to drink. My 2 brothers drink every weekend and my dad drank a lot. My grandpa was always drinking beer too. I abused alcohol from about 18 to 25 on a regular basis. I probably drank 2 cases of beer a week. About 50 beers. lol I was a mess. My drinking has gone down tremendously since starting AYP. I still screw up probably 3x every 2 months now and give in to a night of drinking. The negative effects are very noticeable! I can't meditate the next day which is my favorite thing to do. I feel very ill and out of sync. It usually takes me 2 to 3 days to feel back to normal. Interestingly I have noticed I see car crashes the next day. I drank to much at a wedding, that I couldn't drive home,and felt very out of sync the next day. A nice lady picked me up to get my car the next day and on the way there was a car crash. Then as we were near my car, she hit a metro bus and was in a minor accident. Unreal. I felt partially responsible for this. Felt horrible. So I'd advice not to drink when doing yogic practices. Im trying my best to quit entirely! I can do this. I need to eat more yogically as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ronan

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  05:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Des022,

Could you elaborate a little on how you feel responsible for these accidents you have closely witnessed/encountered after drinking alcohol?

So if I was to take to such thinking myself then by me sitting in my home drinking beer/wine I would be contributing to and causing accidents out on the roads...? I do believe things are connected but can we not make ourselves feel guilty in an irrational way?

peace,

Ronan
Go to Top of Page

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive struggled with that my whole life. Feeling guilty all the time in irrational ways. It sucks. I really need to break thru this identification!
Go to Top of Page

shervin

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  01:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this topic seems highly speculative (how's that for judging?) .. anyways i seem to be preoccupied with my own daily struggles which unfortunately leaves little time or energy leftover for novel pursuits. I am very much not spiritually advanced. that being said in my view i have a bit of difficulty trying to understand why a person already adept in consciousness would want to get "high" in the first place. sounds almost redundant. but then again that's coming from an admittedly unenlightened outlook.
may i ask from whence this question arises?
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  8:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by shervin

i have a bit of difficulty trying to understand why a person already adept in consciousness would want to get "high" in the first place.

because drinking alcohol that is not good for you can affect your system.......being able to control that is indeed a great achievement....its an indicator the a great stress the body can endure........like withstanding freezing temperatures...watching my hands not burn in the fire........

Its about control....Being able to mix or fit into different
environment allows a greater understanding and thus control..

In my case it was not about getting high....is just having nothing to do and being idle(I hardly have that luxury)

I still have my casual beer......probably once a month......I am still human.....and I am not addicted to it.....I am in control...when I know I have reached the limit. One can lose their sanity if they don't know what they are doing.......
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  10:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't need to drink to get "high".

I realise that may not answer your questions.Although I think you could be sensitive and/or tolerant, more or less..However i also don't really see the origin or significance of the question.I'm not sure if alot of folk who are into yoga often have aninterest in drugs.Or Whether this is just a general fixation of a lot of people regardless.

Personally i find the whole subject of drink & drugs rather dull & boring(yes i know i'm contributing)& tired. But then i've been taken them long enough. Maybe that's why. Not anymore however. The yoga gives me a better, healthier & more natural high. That i don't need to take or introduce anything artifical. And to be quite honest alcohol does not really agree with me. I'm not someone that can have usuallly have a drink and leave it at that. I often have a binge tendency to alcohol so it's easier just to avoid it altogether,adopt that policy..That's just me though.Everyone's mileage may vary though. I just find the whole subject of drink & drugs really boring,tired and worn-out.I also fail to see any connection with spiritual things or pursuits like yoga.Although i know they're just questions.I always wonder what this has to do with yoga and what it might more likely say about popular human fixations,obsessions , desires , vices,tendencies.I would be surprised if anyone was really spiritually advanced or developed say after downing two bottles of vodka, without much breathing in between..I know that may sound like a joke.I don't see much point in it,even as a social lubricant.

Edited by - Akasha on Aug 09 2010 10:58:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think one beer is going to hurt you Neesha :) I know this is not an AA forum but heres one of my nightmares. Now 12, that another story. The last time I hung out with both of my brothers, 3 months ago, we hit the city and partied. They were already drinking when I arrived. I told myself I was only going to have 4 drinks max. I hit that mark and the nite was still young. I ended up turning into a raging lunatic. I blacked out that night. I remember dancing wildly on a woman on the dancefloor and I was very touchy feely with my friends girlfriends. They didnt like that. I've decided the positive energy generated from AYP gets distorted and turns negative under alcohol. The vibes retard. I woke up feeling like I got hit by truck and that something was very wrong. I instinctly felt I had to leave and recover in my bed at my apartment. I tryed to say by but they wouldnt budge, My brothers were both asleep. They couldn't find me and thought something was wrong. My phone was dead and I felt dead inside. They couldnt reach me. I had my whole family worrying about me. They thought I was in jail. I decided to share this because I am trying to be more open and if I express my screw ups, maybe that will help me not screw up so much in the future. :)
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  11:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
heyyyy u see des........sometimes we just need someone to talk too.......that's what we are here for.

There's more to my stories I have conquered 3 bottles of vodka(Kills brain cells the fastest, and loses memory),Johnny Walker,PUNCHEON (WORST) and still trying with champayne....I refuse to say further.....it's IN NO WAY IN LINE WITH MY PRACTICES....after partying for 3 months straight.....I have stopped due since I'm pursuing some course.. and yes I found some other worthwhile things to do....THANK GOD. I always keep myself occupied..most importantly....gym has replaced my unnecessary habits....and I have experienced a greater change in life......

but as always.....I TRY to dwell in positivity since I am ot perfect.

Yea I nu the feelin needing to let go of past feelings/experiences....the first stages towards purification.....
so u see you are indeed progressing but its better without the vices, come and support my cause on facebook clean up the ocEAN OR something.

This is a very valid topic.....look how many times it was read...this is a reality of life....

One the main reaasons why I try to conquer some things because how can one to tell someone to stop drinking alcohol,stop smoking, etc if you yourself cannot achieve it......It is indeed very difficult to do these things.......but with love,effort, determination, self pace.......and a humble attitude anything is possible.......

And .....ohhhh des you know you being guided by bhaki......so don't worry too much okay.........

Hey Des nice to meet you !

Namaste!
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me preface this by saying that I believe we are all different; thus, I have a difficult time offering advice since I do not live inside their bodies, and their words may or may not be precisely what they are feeling, and I may not be understanding the words as they were intended. All that being said ;D...I have always had alcohol in my life, a fairly regular drinker, mostly beer, though I have not allowed it to interfere, I don't think, with my day-to-day requirements. Other folks might feel differently, and I can't imagine what my life would have been like had I not had this experience with alcohol, lol.

Since this blossoming of my spirituality, my sensitivity to alcohol has increased. I need only a few bottles to 'get high,' and the affect on me afterward is fairly acute. I am taking this as a sign of rejection from my body. It's my feeling. I am slowly obeying, mixing in periods of abstinence with periods when I drink a few bottles each evening. I have always had a hard time sleeping, and beer is cheap and the high has been pleasant.

To answer your question: I do not feel spiritually advanced, but I am further along my path than I had been so I would say the answer is 'less'. However, I have heard stories of an enlightened guy who was also said to be an alcoholic, so there you go.

Best I could do.

Love to you and your.

JDas/Jon

quote:

All,

OR

- Ventilator

Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  12:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

All,

OR

- Ventilator

for me it's been a bit of a journey..

i used to drink heavily before learning of AYP meditation and my drink of choice was whiskey. then i started meditating and noticed i wasn't getting as "wasted" as i used to -- i could keep my head longer. (ditto for drugs)

however, alcohol does shut down the frontal cortex eventually, so i'd be fine, fine, fine then WHAMMO -- blackout and all the regretful acts i had to be REMINDED I DID, for which i had to try and apologize afterwards. (how do you apologize for something you don't remember?)

it got crazy enough that i preferred to drink alone, just so i could drink enough to FEEL like i used to, but it rarely worked. mostly i just got angry.

so i quit drinking for awhile..

six months later i drank some berry coolers (vodka) and all my nerves felt like they were sort of tingling with fire.. i wasn't sure if i liked it or not. i drank some more and just passed right out, feeling completely awful the following morning.

these days i've resigned myself to never being quite as happy drunk as i used to before meditation. i sure resisted this for awhile, trying to find that perfect BUZZ again, but it's just not there anymore.

although i do enjoy an occasional beer, the desire for hardcore drinking has left me.

i guess i've learned i don't really need to drink excessively to feel good, because i'm already feeling pretty fine all the time, thx to AYP practices.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Ventilator

from my experience and observation:

There are people who don't do any spiritual practices and are either very sensitive to alcohol or can drink lots of it till they get drunk. And those who drink regularly need more to get to the same level of drunkness.

Someone who has advanced in cleaning and opening the nervous system, experiences a fusion of drunkness with his inner silence, that can even bring out more of his joy. But only in trade of loosing his ultra fine perceptions. So the perception gets limited, but fused with the relaxation and openness of getting drunk = even more joy shooting out.

If someone - who has advanced even more - drinks alcohol, he may just observe his body and mind getting drunk, but at the same time he still knows himself as the same untouched witness. So even very high amounts of alcohol may not feel like being drunk because no identification is happening. Someone else watching him will surely see him getting more and more drunk.

If the progress has reached a certain level, then all the "good effects" of alcohol of the past (in memory) will be seen as complete illusion. You are already more in the now, energy joy and health are continiously perfect and are increasing more and more into even more refined perceptions and rising nonduality. Then alcohol is experienced as a complete closing the doors and a cheating of fire-like-cheaty-joy that closes your heart and everything.

If your friends can drink a lot of alc without getting influenced or just need a little bit and are "high" like no one else, don't think that this tells you anything about their spiritual progress.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000