Yoga and Relationships
 My Yoga teacher/friend has detriorated. What to do
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

piyush123

India
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  01:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit piyush123's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am new here and kind of in distress about my yoga teacher/friend. We began practicing about 3 years together in private sessions. We soon became friends and it was great. Of course not with out it's ups or downs but for the most part I've learned so much from him. I grew to love him like a brother and he considered me his most dedicated student. I should mention that I am gay and this seems to be the root of our problems for him. I have always been respectful of his heterosexuality and he was tolerant of me being gay. It seemed to be more of an issue for him then me.

Recently, this past November my father passed away. He and I didn't have a close relationship and at times it was down right adversarial. My yoga teacher attended the memorial at my request and was very supportive until the issue of my sexuality reared it's head at an Xmas party we attended together. I won't go into the details, but I had a bit too much to drink and fooled around with another gay guy at the party. I told my teacher/friend and he reacted angrily to this information. He told me that my being gay makes him uncomfortable around me and that most straight guys don't have gay friends. And some other things that weren't nice. Now he rejects any attempt to spend time with me socially and is very aloof and distant toward me.

Our last session before he left for vacation was terrible! I was in the best mood when we started and he just brought me down. To the point were I snapped at him and accused him of behaving like my father! I know that was some sort of transference and called to apologize. He wouldn't take my call and I have not heard from him since. Usually, when he goes away he'll check in with me. I saw him on skype today and said hello but he ignored me.

I can't understand his behavior. I even set him up with a really great girl the night of that xmas party and they are getting along great according to her. But my teacher/friend acts as if I am a problem.
I admit I'm not in the best state emotionally, but I thought as my friend and teacher he would help me weather this emotional storm.

Now I feel even more loss. The loss of my father, the loss of my teacher and most important to me the loss of someone whom I felt was my friend.

Not sure what I should do now.

[url=http://www.dietpillsforweightloss.com/]Best Weight Loss Pills[/url]
[url=http://beyondprobiotics.net/golprodpricelist.htm]Garden of Life vitamins[/url]

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  10:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Piyush,

Sounds like this is not the easiest situation, but I would say that you hit the nail on the head when you said that his intolerance was his issue and has nothing to do with you. Relationships come and go in life, when you have outgrown one, there can often be a way that it unravels clearing a path for you to move on to new ones. If you have made an honest attempt to communicate and your efforts are being ignored, then you have done everything you can. You can see this as an opportunity to grow from the experience and move on to new learning, relationships and experiences.

Inside the perception of a "loss" can be a gleaming gem of some new and unknown "gain". This can be the opportunity to take your spiritual growth and yoga into your own hands. If you haven't already you might find benefit in reading through the AYP lessons. Check out the main lessons tab at the top or here:

http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html

Best of luck to you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000