Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Nature of Activity in Karma Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethereal_Ecstasy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello again,

When performing karma yoga, does the activity being performed matter, as long as you are doing it with no thought of a reward? (I haven’t read Yogani’s Bhakti and Karma Yoga book nor have I seen it directly discussed in the lessons).

~Ethereal Ecstasy

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  9:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ethereal_Ecstasy

Hello again,

When performing karma yoga, does the activity being performed matter, as long as you are doing it with no thought of a reward? (I haven’t read Yogani’s Bhakti and Karma Yoga book nor have I seen it directly discussed in the lessons).

~Ethereal Ecstasy

Hi Ethereal Ecstasy,

There are actually quite a few different teachings on Karma Yoga.

I haven't reviewed AYP's in some time, myself ... but the Lessons are easy to search ... just click on Site Search, and use Lesson as the first keyword .. and then enter other search terms (i.e. Karma, bhakti, etc.)

Karma in Sanskrit simply means action.

The Bhagavad Gita talks about "detaching from the fruit of the action", and several well known teachings and teachers, refer to the "illusion of the doer" ... because only the illusory doer (the "me I think I am"; the concept called ego) imagines the fruit of "results of my actions".

Best just to surrender, and let life (i.e. God, ishta, Love -- whatever your highest ideal may be) drive, so to speak.

It's not the action that matters so much; it's whether or not there's a fixed concept of self present .... called Ahamkara in Sanskrit .... literally the I-Maker.

When the idea called I-Maker is absent in any moment, life happens ... and it's neither good nor bad.

Kashmir Shaivism teaches of three great illusions, or Malas (Necklaces ... literally the illusory ideas which "have us by the neck").

1. Anavamala - the concept of self-partiality, of being unwhole; incomplete.

2. Mayiyamala - the concept that distinction equals reality (i.e. the illusion of "I, Me & Mine" as the Gita says).

3. Karmamala - the concept of good and bad action.

For illusions two and three to exist, illusion #1 has to exist.

What happens when illusion #1 dissolves?

Moksha. Liberation in this lifetime.

And so, it's not so much the actions that you do; it's releasing the concept of "you", period; when this is done, the actions take care of themselves; literally.

And so, as the famous Kashmir Shaiva sage Swami Lakshmanjoo said:

"Do whatever you want, and meditate."

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Ethereal_Ecstasy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  12:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a feeling that that was the kind of response I was going to get for a question directly related to Self-Realization (or did I...?) There seem to be "hidden" lessons within the yoga practices. That's one of the great appeals to yoga, I suppose.

Regardless, thank you for the speedy and right-to-the-point response. (I have a feeling I'm going to be spoiled on these forums because of that )

I will definitely bookmark this page for safe-keeping. Thanks, Kirtanman!

~Ethereal Ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tree Pose!
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  11:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything action is an expression of this continuum that is brahman, Otherwise, the only certainty is change, which is both karma yoga, and bhakti yoga!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  4:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ethereal

quote:
Originally posted by Ethereal_Ecstasy

When performing karma yoga, does the activity being performed matter, as long as you are doing it with no thought of a reward?

Not really. As long as you're letting go, even something like washing your hands can be karma yoga.

The not-thinking-of-rewards is an important aspect, but so is your motivation for the action, and your inner attitude. It's better to do something that comes from an inner pull rather than something you feel obligated to do.

Take homeless people for example. Long ago, I used to give them money/food because I felt like I "should" help them. I felt inner resistance and resentment, so I gave in a miserly kind of way. Often, I'd find an excuse not to give, like "I need this money for XYZ" or "I don't get paid til Friday" or "I don't have enough to be giving right now", etc.

When I give now, it's practically automatic. I don't think about it. The inner attitude is that there's abundance and I'm happy to share it. There's no more concern about "How will I buy XYZ" or "Where will the next dollar come from" etc. I find my needs taken care of, so there's no more fear about "not having". I'm grateful for what I have (and don't have) and know that ultimately I'll get whatever I need.

The difference for me is inner silence (from Deep Meditation). It purifies my motivation and inner attitude. So karma yoga starts to happen automatically.

Hope I didn't digress too far from your question

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Ethereal_Ecstasy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

'Ello Porcupine,

quote:
Everything action is an expression of this continuum that is brahman, Otherwise, the only certainty is change, which is both karma yoga, and bhakti yoga!

Thanks for sharing, porcupine! There’s a lot of truth contained in that one short sentence!

~Ethereal Ecstasy~
Go to Top of Page

Ethereal_Ecstasy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to hear from you Cosmic,
quote:
The not-thinking-of-rewards is an important aspect, but so is your motivation for the action, and your inner attitude. It's better to do something that comes from an inner pull rather than something you feel obligated to do.

I’ve been wondering for a long time if actions, even selfless ones, made any difference existentially, depending on one’s inner attitude. I am hoping that AYP might be able to cultivate the inner silence I need to feel this inner pull. I like being able to do things without much psychological resistance, but it would be nice for a change to feel like there was an inner force working through me to make everything I did feel so effortless (if that’s another way to describe it.)

quote:
Hope I didn't digress too far from your question

Not at all! I learned a lot from your post, Cosmic. Thanks!

~Ethereal Ecstasy~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000