Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Suspecting I'm doing it wrong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  04:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste friends,

I'm experiencing something very unpleasant in the past week and I am seeking for your help and guidance here. I spent the past two weeks with my parents in a very noisy environment. I practiced even when there are big noises, or there would be some sharp noises interrupting. The first week was fine. But in the second week, I was shaken out of/off inner silence where meditating and became a bit angry about my dad who turned the TV on real loud. And I felt something, probably energy, went wrong. I had to stop meditation and rest. After that, in every session, I felt I was subconsciously worrying about possible abrupt noises and this actually magnified the negative effects of noises. And it seemed that I got into a vicious circle. And often when there's a abrupt noise, the heart started to beat much faster and I felt energy stuck in my head.

Related with this, I had an episode in which I had a left-right imbalance when I practised qigong years ago. And it was related to a similar fear of noise. I also have a minor heart condition that doctors thought wouldn't effect my normal life. So I am thinking if this is possibly a combination of wrong practice and purification of heart. I'd appreciate if you'd shed light on this! I have used prayer to transform the anger into devotion and did it with success. But I still feel energy stuck in head and my heart sometimes felt beating faster in daily activities for no apparent reasons. Did anyone experience similar situations? Please advise me on how to correct and pass this troublesome state. Thank you all!

Phil

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  07:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaskar,

I'm going to refer only to a small part of your post:

In the last period I've been moving around a lot and practicing in different environments - a lot of them very noisy.
For that reason I carry earplugs with me wherever I go. The ones made out of natural wax that fit into your ear. They do a wonderful job cancelling out the noise or at least dulling it to the extent that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Something I've been finding out recently is that sometimes so called "solutions" are much simpler than we tend to think.

Hope that little bit was helpful.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Avoiding or trying to reduce noise MAY set up a subtle dependency on external dependencies. After much practice the nervous system should become impervious to disruption. Just like the sounds of a thunderstorm eventually don't even register in the mind, so too can man made sounds. abrupt noise will bring one out of silence, but they are like thoughts or visions, just another thing to defocus on by returning to the practice. Eventually, they will come out of the silence too.

It is also possible that there could be a psychological component to being disturbed by sounds; noise becomes an insult: Don't they know I'm becoming enlightened?

Not saying any of this applies to you of course. Everyone is different and the easiest way to sound dumb is to make generalities. The earplug suggestion by ConscousEvolution may be the best.

Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your input!

Jo, I was slowly approaching to the state you described. I gradually found noises are outside as I get deeper and deeper inside silence. But it's just somehow this process is reversed. As I changed the place, I had a better session. Guess before I am firmed established in inner silence, I still need some protection, like a good pair of earplugs.
I also have to look out for overloading signs... I guess.

with gratitude,

Phil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000