Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Timing question from a (total) newbie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Floppy

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I discovered this website and forum a little more than a week ago, and it is fantastic! I have a tremendous appreciation for Yogani and all of the forum members who make this such a valuable resource. Thank you all!

I started a deep meditation practice four days ago. I don't have a spiritual background at all, so this is all completely new to me.

I am meditating twice per day, but I'm not sure whether my sessions are spaced out far enough. My morning session is usually at 5:30 am, and my second session is during my lunch break, which is usually around 1:00 pm. I have a 3-year-old son and a 1-year-old daughter at home, so it would be difficult to meditate when I get home from work. I could wait until the kids go to bed, but that would cut into my time alone with my beautiful wife.

I have noticed that the afternoon session is more difficult - I'm more distracted and not as relaxed. But I'm not sure if that's related to the space between the sessions. It may have more to do with the amount of stressful activity preceding the session. Do any of you have any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to AYP, Floppy.

Your times are perfect.
In this lesson Yogani says:
http://www.aypsite.org/148.html
quote:
When we do practices, we coax our nervous system into a different style of functioning -- sustaining deep silence (pure bliss consciousness). And in later stages when kundalini is active, ecstatic bliss. To stabilize all this we go out and are active in the world every day. There is fading of the higher functioning during activity as we work it into daily living. The fading happens over 5-10 hours. Then we can do practices again and re-establish the higher style of functioning again, to be faded in activity again. This cycle can be done twice a day by doing practices morning and early evening. It provides for the most purification and growth possible during waking hours for people with active lives.

So... you are right there in between 5-10 hrs at 7.30 hrs. So you are doing great.

We have had some discussions on how some people find it easier to do their first session, and some their second.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7521
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1712
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=596

Just keep up with your twice a day practice and don't worry about analyzing each session. It will change overtime.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi & welcome to the forum :)

The pause between the two sessions seems ok. The stress in the second session could probably be overflowing from the preceding activity. It should clear up over time.

It's great that you manage to meditate while having small kids. It's the best investment even for your children :)

Take care
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello & Welcome Floppy,

My guess is that stillness or inner silence could,for some at least, be reached quicker and accessed easier in the morning session because we or our mind's have'nt yet been disturbed as much by the demands made on it during the day.But that could be just one explanation.The integration between living,the gaps between our meditations, and silence should become easier and blend in.

What you could do is wait a couple of mins(body-scan or not,consciously relax every part of your body) before introducing the mantra effortlessly,favouring it of course.

With the mantra you're actually diving straight in to-wards pure bliss consciousness,so it's nice if you can let go completley.feel relaxed etc.

If it's 4 days then it's not quite baked in fully yet.With me it was aboout 3 weeks. Kids will obviously benefit.They are usually quite quick to pick up on these things,being more sensitive,receptive & open etc.More naturally occuring PBC probably.

The timing seems fine.It is often suggested one meditates before activity partly because of the energising effects and the integration of the inner & outer (worlds).

Edited by - Akasha on Jul 01 2010 1:07:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000