Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Should I self-pace less?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  08:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I have been doing 10mins of spinal breathing pranayama followed by 20mins of deep meditation and 5-10mins of rest twice a day for the last 8 months.

Apart from finding the deep meditation quite relaxing and enjoyable, I haven't felt like I've made any progress or noticed any milestones as mentioned in the AYP books. I've noticed a lot of people mention in the forums they feel much sexual energy flying about during spinal breathing pranayama, however I don't notice any at all (sexually, my functioning is a-okay).

My question is: Should I add more time to my daily SBP and/or DM sessions, as opposed to self-pacing and cutting back like we commonly hear we should do?

I would be most interested to hear if anyone else has been a little slow off the mark in experiencing noticeable positive symptoms of SBP and DM like myself, and if they eventually broke through and made some exciting progress.

Many thanks,
Damien

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  09:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Damomck,

Yes, self-pacing can go both ways. Usually, in this forum, as you say, we hear a lot about the cutting back aspect of it, but it goes forward too, increasing practice times and adding new practices when you are ready.

In your case, you could increase to 15 mins SBP and 25-30 mins DM, making the increases one at a time with a week or two in between. You could also look towards adding mulabhanda and sambhavi mudra if you have not already, and likewise siddhasana. You could also look towards adding a basic asana routine before spinal breathing if you feel inclined that way. It is best to add one thing at a time, and increase slowly that way with a couple of weeks or a month or so between each addition.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Damomck,

I am going on 11 months of AYP, and do not have any of the energetic experiences that so many people claim to experience.
But you know what I have noticed, is that very, very , very subtley...I realize that I am no longer sweating the small stuff in my daily life, and in the lives of people around me.
The best way I can sum up my current existence is that "Life is a something, and nothing at the same time". High, lows, ups, downs, sunshine, rain, birth, death, etc. I'm just sittng here watching it all go on within and without me.
So it's a big deal, and no big deal.
There's nothing that I have to "DO" in this life...even though I am fully engaged in my day to day activities. This realization can be very strange for me at times...especially when I witness so many people running around frantically trying to "DO" whatever it is they think they must.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  09:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Arjuna

But you know what I have noticed, is that very, very , very subtley...I realize that I am no longer sweating the small stuff in my daily life, and in the lives of people around me.
The best way I can sum up my current existence is that "Life is a something, and nothing at the same time". High, lows, ups, downs, sunshine, rain, birth, death, etc. I'm just sittng here watching it all go on within and without me.
So it's a big deal, and no big deal.
There's nothing that I have to "DO" in this life...even though I am fully engaged in my day to day activities. This realization can be very strange for me at times...especially when I witness so many people running around frantically trying to "DO" whatever it is they think they must.

Beautiful!!!!
Thank you for sharing.
Do you practice samyama and/or self inquiry?
If not, you may want to try adding samyama, and once stable in this, add some self inquiry.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Hari

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hari's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience has been similar to Arjuna's. I have been practicing for just over a year and it has cleared my awareness in everyday actions. I have ever increasing moments of stillness and lucidity where I can perceive the utter strangeness of being alive, like some of the things which I have experienced hundreds of times before are new still, and mysterious. It's hard to put into words how my life has improved since I started the practices, it is indeed subtle but profound. Often the words 'silent witness' come to mind while observing what's taking place inside and outside.
I have not felt any of the energetic feelings either, but it doesn't bother me. Coincidentally I just introduced samyama to my morning practices about a month ago because it felt the right time to. I still haven't got the Self-Inquiry book but I'm thinking now that I should order a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hari

I have ever increasing moments of stillness and lucidity where I can perceive the utter strangeness of being alive, like some of the things which I have experienced hundreds of times before are new still, and mysterious. It's hard to put into words how my life has improved since I started the practices, it is indeed subtle but profound. Often the words 'silent witness' come to mind while observing what's taking place inside and outside.
I have not felt any of the energetic feelings either, but it doesn't bother me. Coincidentally I just introduced samyama to my morning practices about a month ago because it felt the right time to. I still haven't got the Self-Inquiry book but I'm thinking now that I should order a copy.

Awesome!!! Don't try to put words around the experience... that defines/draws boundaries around something that is ever changing. Why try to close the ever changing, ever expanding stillness into the walls, boundaries drawn by words... just live and grow with them.

Yogani's self inquiry book it wonderful. I would also recommend Loving What Is by Byron Katie.

Wish you all the best Hari.
Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  07:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your helpful suggestions Christi. I have been sitting in siddhasana and added mulabhanda and sambhavi mudra 2 months into beginning DM (ie 6months so far). I wonder if people are more inclined to add extra practices as opposed to adding extra time to each of their routines, especially when already clocking up 10mins of SBP and 20mins of DM? I might add some postures like you said and see how that goes. I tried out samyama for a month or so in my earlier stages (bout 3 months in) but gave it up because I felt restless sitting for 50mins. Maybe I can give it another go and see if I am less restless now I've been doing sitting practices for a while.

Thanks for your reply also Arjuna. Quick questions: When did you first begin to notice these happenings/perceptions in your reality? Is it a very recent occurance? Just out of interest also, what practices do you do and for how long?
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is really confusing. Why is it for some (like me) so intense, with all these weird sensations, and for others happens (at least on the surface) nothing?

We´re all doing the same practice, but maybe 50% have sensations, and maybe 80-90% (my feeling) benefit from it sooner of later.

Is it a sign of inner readiness? Of course everyones different, but that doesnt imho explain that some have sensation and some dont at all.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  09:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

This is really confusing. Why is it for some (like me) so intense, with all these weird sensations, and for others happens (at least on the surface) nothing?

We´re all doing the same practice, but maybe 50% have sensations, and maybe 80-90% (my feeling) benefit from it sooner of later.

Is it a sign of inner readiness? Of course everyones different, but that doesnt imho explain that some have sensation and some dont at all.

Each person is different. Like Yogani says "the internal matrix of obstructions being dissolved in your nervous system. That "karmic" element creates variations in all of us,"
Depending on this inner matrix of obstructions, the energy moves differently and some can be very sensitive and some not at all and some in between. But finally it will all even out.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you feel inclined to increase your practice time, I can see no problem with that. Just take it easy and be sure to let up if it proves to be too much. In my practice I do about 15-20m pranayama followed by 40-45m meditation 2x daily. However, I'm pretty sure that I am what you would classify as being "under sensitive." I haven't found my routine to be particularly overloading, but your mileage may vary.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Don't try to put words around the experience... that defines/draws boundaries around something that is ever changing. Why try to close the ever changing, ever expanding stillness into the walls, boundaries drawn by words... just live and grow with them.

That's a wonderful message, Shanti. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to express the inner Being with words. It seems to me that language is an unsuitable tool for this task, and one that our inner nature really has no use for at all. Words are just a representational framework after all, and rely on a mutual recognition of concepts understood by the mind. When we are beyond the mind, words become completely arbitrary. Actions, not words, become the vehicle for expressing the inner nature.

I have complete faith that results will come to everyone who practices with diligence My favourite quote from Yogani illustrates this well:

Those who are unshakenly devoted always succeed, sooner or later. Your desire will always be the essential ingredient. Cultivate it well.

Love
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  8:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
Depending on this inner matrix of obstructions, the energy moves differently and some can be very sensitive and some not at all and some in between. But finally it will all even out.

Its also possible to go through different phases that can last very long, even years. Some people give up on Yoga because they see no change, but change can be very subtle growth in silence and energy Growth can also be manifested externally in the changes in your life and others. As in, so out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000