Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Your opinion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
here is a topic some of you may have dealt with. in your path did you ever loose your opinion, and therefore stop engaging in many conversations because of it? Cause sometimes in life science says this or that, yet the only truth is the truth. Know what I mean? Any of you dealt with that and come out with that? From my experience I do see things like "people respond more to what they see, rather then what they are told" Im dealing with that with my nephew and he is a good teacher for me so to speak. So my opinion is yes, it is better to be an example then speak of it.
thanks for the conversation and place to discuss
Brother Neil

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

here is a topic some of you may have dealt with. in your path did you ever loose your opinion, and therefore stop engaging in many conversations because of it? Cause sometimes in life science says this or that, yet the only truth is the truth. Know what I mean? Any of you dealt with that and come out with that? From my experience I do see things like "people respond more to what they see, rather then what they are told" Im dealing with that with my nephew and he is a good teacher for me so to speak. So my opinion is yes, it is better to be an example then speak of it.
thanks for the conversation and place to discuss
Brother Neil

you are correct that it is better to act than to say.

however, we live in society, and this requires interaction with others. Otherwise, there is no purpose.

hence, this is a phase that you are experiencing, and at some point in the future you will desire to speak and share with others your opinion. because we should not extricate ourselves from life, but go beyond the material in order to return and teach.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Brother Neil!

quote:

here is a topic some of you may have dealt with. in your path did you ever loose your opinion, and therefore stop engaging in many conversations because of it?

Yup. If you remember, when I first arrived at AYP I think my post per day count was something like 6-7 maybe even 8 posts a day. Not sure what it is now, but I'm quite sure it is much less then that. I still enjoy a good conversation but I find it much easier to pick and choose what I want to talk about. Before, I wanted everyone to know where I stood, on every issue/topic....now, I'm not nearly as concerned with making sure everyone knows exactly where I stand. This has extended well beyond the realms of the forum as well. In the past I have been an incredibly outspoken political/environmental/social activist. Now, I don't really concern myself with things that are outside my sphere of influence. I find to do so causes suffering. And I choose not to suffer anymore. This means I don't get involved in political/environmental/social debates.

I saw a cartoon drawing the other day that showed a guy typing on a computer. There was a voice balloon from the computer guy's wife in the other room saying "Honey, are you coming to bed soon?" The computer guy saying "No, I can't yet.....someone is WRONG on the internet!" This was how I lived the majority of my life. So busy trying to change other people's opinions so that they aligned with mine, as, well, mine were certainly right and any other opinion was certainly wrong. Now, having a little inner silence, it doesn't really matter to me what others' opinions are. I don't feel the need to get involved nor do I feel the need to assert my "rightness" into every conversation. I much prefer to live by example as you say a little later in your post.

Love!

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting topic

What I've noticed is that - differently to you, Carson - I've become more active than I have ever been, in the areas closest to my heart - animal welfare being the big one, together with the environment of course (because they're so closely connected). However, the emotional component - the 'bleeding heart' outrage, has diminished substantially. And my feeling is that this helps me to choose my course of action more effectively.

As to being right - yes, that's gone. As Byron Katie said/wrote: "Would you rather be right, or free?" Also gone is the need to convince others or disabuse them of their opinion. I will challenge factually incorrect statements, but I don't concern myself with changing someone's mind for them

It's funny - I'm just thinking about a thread here a while back where I posted about my reasons for meditating - and mine was to enable me to act more effectively in the world. Score for meditation
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  2:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Went through the none opinion stage and have arrived at 'having an opinion that I don't really care about' stage. A bit like the terminator, I produce a drop down memory of automatic responses which I use without any concern. A bit like selecting a suitable tie for a shirt.

If I really care about it, I'm doing it, there seems to be no gap between what is important to me and what I am already doing. No real planning at all, I'm at the top of the diving board and in mid flight while thinking about diving. Neither does it seem particularly important that a thing gets done, it just gets done and everything and everyone around me seems to be assisting. The less I care the faster it happens.

The 'no opinion' stage felt very odd. Often I opened and closed my mouth like a fish in a bowl, willing something to come into my head which just remained as empty as a balloon. I didn't like that very much at all, I have always held some sort of opinion and argued my point until I thought I had won, but I couldn't find the will to even start and it felt like my mind had collapsed.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

in your path did you ever loose your opinion, and therefore stop engaging in many conversations because of it?

Kinda. I didn't lose my opinion, but rather lost interest in my opinion. And yes, did stop engaging in many conversations. Most of those conversations were with myself anyways

What is the difference between opinions, beliefs, and thoughts?

This is an honest question. Because the only difference I see is the amount of importance we give them, and how identified we are by them. And some people seem so identified with all 3 (thought/belief/opinion) that making a distinction between them seems obsolete to me.

They all look like thoughts to me.

So I don't feel the need to be constantly expressing opinions and engaging in a lot of talk.

Going back into the Bat Cave now
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Iver read all your opinions, so thanks for sharing.
Another thing I have noticed about opinion. One thing is to shoot out an opinion, another is to truly feel the opinion, its like an opinion can come from different places, or spaces or whatever. Maybe it depends on the silence or depth that it comes from. Its almost like in wanting to share some opinions it is the "ego" who wants to say "look at me, im right" and then other opinions after they are expressed, a more humbler voice says, "yes thats true" and the second kind tend to be more healing in nature.

Edited by - brother neil on Jul 03 2010 2:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey brother Neil,
I have definitely experienced this and I would say it is ongoing. I found that with mediation I came to see things less as right and wrong and no longer took aggressive standpoints on topics I used to feel passionate about, in fact often not any standpoint as that experience may be essential for the evolution of that individual. Many of the most 'wrong' things I have done have contributed in the most beneficial way to my development in the long term. Having realised this it's easy to accept others actions and hard to have a black and white opinion on anything. I guess my opinion is I am cool with whatever

quote:
Another thing I have noticed about opinion. One thing is to shoot out an opinion, another is to truly feel the opinion, its like an opinion can come from different places, or spaces or whatever. Maybe it depends on the silence or depth that it comes from.

totally agree brother
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000