AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 concentration and attention definitons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  10:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,

Could you please define me these two words? Concentration and attention.
During DM, we avoid concentration but keep the attention on the mantra. But doesn't 'full attention on an object' mean 'concentration'?
My experiences are different when I put my attention fully on the mantra, so be closer to it and when not putting it fully to avoid the concentration, so be far from it.

This like listening to a song which i already heart before from a distance while the other is like listening to it closely for the first time.

So should I put my attention fully on the mantra? Is this concentration? Or should I keep it at some easy level and listen to the mantra?

Please help:)
Thank you

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello KASERDAR,

quote:
So should I put my attention fully on the mantra?

DM procedure is simply to favour the mantra.I think your journey to inner silence is much quicker that way. By using less effort you encounter less resistance and vice-versa.

quote:
'Is this concentration?'

Not exclusively.

quote:
Or should I keep it at some easy level and listen to the mantra?

I have found the suggestion helpful but it is not the simple precudre of (strictly) Deep Meditation as laid out by Yogani. Saying it mentally is correct procedure as laid out in the lessons.

By favouring we use less effort. In turn the mantra also does the work as well as us as it bakes in and we oscillate between the last four limbs periodiclly all the way to inner silence and back to mantra(dharana-focus on an oject), (dhyana- true meditation), (samadhi- complete self-absorbtion) and to and fro & back again, hopping from one limb to the next and back, once you lose it , and so on.

p.s remember to let-go and intone the mantra gently, almost effortlessly ,at the same time. It's a strange combination of doing and non-doing,'active surrender' it's called here.. Eventually you can become the mantra ,as it were, as it bakes in, if this has'nt occured already.I founda time-scale of 3 weeks of constant practice when i arrived here was the case to bake it in sufficntely but then i had some heavy obstructions and i had been focusing on my breath as a medittion for many years before.If you are relaxed as possible then less effoort should come more naturally.The mantra is more potent than breath because it takes us to the Mind & beyond the mind,all the way ,in theory at least,to Pure Bliss Copnsciousness.

Edited by - Akasha on Jun 17 2010 12:45:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Akasha & Kaserdar,
- excellent posts. The "favouring" (AYP) is a more natural, effortless, relaxed, balanced, non-active activity than what most people think when they hear 'concentration'.
A similar kind of focus - but just a minimum of activity, no push, no strain.
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  05:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Ill be favoring it effortlessly. Thank you for responses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000