Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Letting go
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  05:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi there,

Im having difficulty in letting go. There are days when i can let go quite easy, but most days im somehow strained on a subtle level. Its not that i dont have techniques to let go, relaxing every muscle and so on. But it feels like theres a blockage, which hinders me to go deeper within me. I always thought that after time, this gets better. But after 2 years of daily meditation, little has changed.

This is probably hard to answer, as everyone is different, but maybe someone has a tip for me. Thanks!

Pan

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you read "Loving What Is' by Byron Katie?
If not read it. It is an excellent way to learn to let go. There are a few techniques over here that may also help.

You say you are meditating for 2 years.. 2 years of AYP?

If yes, have you tried samyama?

Letting go happens at many levels, hence you need a combination of practices to really let go. Making a mental game out of letting go will only frustrate you. Doing "The Work" by Katie and learning samyama is a powerful combination of practices that will teach you to let go at the physical, mental, emotional and the subtle inner levels.
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  12:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, ive ordered the book and will read your suggested links thoroughly.

I meditated 2 years with a mantra or by watching my breath, so no AYP exactly, but similar.
A few weeks ago, when i discovered AYP, i added the I AM mantra and the pranayama before the meditation.

Havent tried samyama yet, as im integrating the lessons as i translate them, but will make a jump to the specific lessons :)

Thanks for your tips and hints!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  2:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pan,
Yes, samyama can be added in when some inner silence is experienced... as yogani says, it is the one practice to can leap frog to. So it may be a good practice to add. It is a very mechanical practice when you begin it, but over the years it has refined into the most beautiful and helpful practice I could have ever added. It is the underlying practice, the core practice on which many many practices are built on, and it the best way I know yet to let go.

Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  03:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can imagine that it works well. Its like a sort of autogenic training, where you attract the things,
you feed your mind with.

Thanks again for your profound answer!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pan,
Actually in my experience samayam is the opposite... you let go the words, not feed your mind with the words. It is not auto suggestion, it is just plain letting go. Pick the word and drop it and feel it expand outward and dissolve into the stillness. As you let go the words, the desire to control the outcome of the result also is let go. When this happens, the universe is there to fill in what you need and not what your want or rather what mind thinks you need.

I have never practiced samyama as a tool to get anything... only to let go.. and let go... and let go. The more you let go... the more you get... none of what you get may be in the form the mind thinks it should be, but more in the form that is required by you right now.

This is just my experience of this. Maybe it is different for others.
But it surely will be a great practice for you to add to your routine when you feel drawn to it.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  10:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

Hi there,

Im having difficulty in letting go. There are days when i can let go quite easy, but most days im somehow strained on a subtle level. Its not that i dont have techniques to let go, relaxing every muscle and so on. But it feels like theres a blockage, which hinders me to go deeper within me. I always thought that after time, this gets better. But after 2 years of daily meditation, little has changed.

This is probably hard to answer, as everyone is different, but maybe someone has a tip for me. Thanks!

Pan

Hello Pan,

I can relate to what you are describing.

I have felt the same way, from the beginning of my spiritual path.
That is, there is some deep, deep level where i am holding on tight.

I think the material recommended to you is positive and helpful, but it doesn't really address your problem, which is very fundamental.

My best advice to you is to keep at your practice. This is a purity issue that may not be addressed at the lower levels, and it may only be that you are feeling this tightness from far, far away. As you approach it you will feel it more and more, and at that point, be given the opportunity to release it, however painful that might be.

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

A lot of people ask how to do Samyama.

I've never read the book but i can tell you how i do it based on possibly on a little something someone said here, a little titbit, and my own intuition/inner guru at the time.

I touch on the vaguuest feeling associated with the word/sutra , almost before the brain has fully cognised and metamorphosed it into a thought,as such, and then a word.

And then I let it go---(The vagguest psycho-physical feeling),Almost like --->into the void,the black screen of Consciousness,Space.

Of course you need some inner silence so DM & Samyama are like partners,the latter the dependent one.

You feel a subtle psycho-physical change occur.

The beauty of Samyama is that it can be practiced anywhere,anytime.In some ways it can come more spontanously ,i.e more quickly,the introducing and then letting go part,all done in a oner,blip- a couple of seconds ( then the emptiness/bliss etc----),when the eyes are open for me.

Note:- This might be non-AYP advice( as i am aware there is cosmic samyama which i have never practiced) but adding a relaxation component in a ful sadhana like relaxing or yin-type asanas or yoga nidra or both may help you psyche down before any meditation sitting and make progress without making things,i.e practices, harder on yourself , than say they have to be,or a chore.Even a savasana before sitting AYP is a great idea as it prepares the mind. A lot of the deep tension is obviously emotional tension (stored away in the unconscious, no doubt).
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  8:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi there,

Pan

well if yo look at your first statement you make an absolute statement, then after that you change the statement to one that is probably closer to the truth, therefore making your first statement untrue. By acknowledging that the first statement, and many other absolute statements like it, is a lie and untrue, it may help you to let go some more.
hope that helps a little,
good luck
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  04:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses.

@Shanti: I can relate to how you experience samyama, i too feel theres a "let go" after pronouncing the word in my mind.

@tonightsthenight: Hopefully it wont be that dramatically, but on the other hand thats ok, as long as theres purification :)

@Akasha: Thanks for your description :)

@brother neil: I dont understand how absolute versus relative statements can help me to let go? Of course, absolute statements
are in 99% lies, but we´re just used to them and as long as everyone gets the meaning, i see no problem.

Thanks again,
Pan
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  10:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

@brother neil: I dont understand how absolute versus relative statements can help me to let go? Of course, absolute statements
are in 99% lies, but we´re just used to them and as long as everyone gets the meaning, i see no problem.

Thanks again,
Pan

Hey pan, to me it makes sense to speak words that are more true, even if it is only talking to yourself, but yes, I see what you mean. Bueno suerte
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000