Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 deep meditation question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denislav12

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit denislav12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
Thank you in advance for the feedback and for the always on time support. While I am meditation I pronounce the mantra , focusing my attention to the voice in my head which repeats the mantra. Now, while the mantra runs in my head, there is also a subtle sound in the background which is very persistent. Of course, there are some distractive thoughts from time to time, which disperse my concentration, however, when I realize their presence, I return quickly to the mantra...The challenge comes when I access a state of silence because it is not pure due to the subtle sound in the background... So, even when there are no thoughts and the mantra remains somewhat silent and remote, the subtle buzzing sound amplifies and continues...
There is no way I can stop that, so it seams like I am not doing it right because when I stop favoring the mantra, I am automatically favoring the sound, and when I focus on the mantra the background noise amplifies
What do I do from that point?

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,

Just bring your attention back to the mantra at whatever level it is at. Don't worry about the sound, think of it as scenery and when you notice you are listening to it instead of repeating the mantra, gently bring your attention back to the mantra. Enough repetitions of this will diminish any distractions.

So in short, treat the "background noise" as you would any other thought and bring your attention gently back to the repetition of the mantra.

Best of luck!

Go to Top of Page

denislav12

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  10:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit denislav12's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replay.
I am just thinking that if I have to repeat the mantra again in order to bring my attention off the background sound, then I should be constantly repeating the mantra with no break, "i am" one after another....
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  10:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by denislav12

Thanks for the replay.
I am just thinking that if I have to repeat the mantra again in order to bring my attention off the background sound, then I should be constantly repeating the mantra with no break, "i am" one after another....

Yes, we constantly repeat "i am" in our mind.
Here is what the lesson says:
http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

gently introduce the thought …I AM… and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it. Do not resist if the mantra tends to become less distinct.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000