Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 over-sensitivity question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani,

I am not sure if I fall into the category of over-sensitivity mentioned on the lesson 367. I ran into issues with DM and have to stop it many times in the last three years. My practice has not been regular because of some overload issues. But, I tried to start the deep meditation with other things that I learned from another yoga group. Some of the things that I was doing earlier included a pranayama somewhat similar to the spinal breathing, bhastrika and something like kapalbhati pranayama. I was taught to do all those things from day one by this other yoga group. I was doing them with some stability for a short while (few months). I realize now that these might have also caused some delayed reactions.

When I added the deep meditation, eventually I had to give up everything including the other yoga that I was doing due to the overload symptoms. The main overload symptom that I had was irritability that some times stayed all through the day. I tired to scale down several times. Finally I ended up with 5 minutes of SB pranayama and 15 minutes DM twice a day as taught by AYP and gave up everything else. Even this resulted in some overload, though not very severe. I gave up all practices except some of the tantric practices from the AYP lessons in the last three months.

I realize already through my own experience that it is not smart to start many things at the same time. I understand your words about driving a powerful race car for the first time without brakes.

I never tried just 10 minutes of DM alone, twice a day. I am going to start trying that now. If that results in overload, my next plan is to try only the breath meditation from Lesson 367.

My bakthi is very strong. I want to make some progress; not rapidly, but at least to do 5 minutes pranayama and 10 minutes meditation twice a day.

I like the mantra meditation and wish that I could progress gradually and some day be able to do 20 minutes twice a day. I understand my current situation clearly and am willing to settle for breath meditation right now if the 10 minutes of DM twice a day causes any overload.

If I decide to go with the breath meditation for now and if it works, Can I come back to the mantra meditation once my practice is stable on the breath meditation? (Not immediately, but after months or years). If I get stable on the breath meditation, will it be counter productive to return back to mantra meditation after several months or years?

Thanks for the lesson 367, it gave me some hope that I can work with some of the over-sensitivity issues.

Ram.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 13 2009 12:11:55 AM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  11:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rkishan:

Sounds like you got off to a bit of a rough start with too much pranayama and some delayed reactions, but now you are getting your arms around it. Good job of self-pacing and balancing your practices.

If you go to breath meditation (does not seem inevitable at this point), you can always come back to mantra meditation later, though it can be a bit of an adjustment favoring mantra over breath again. Whenever we change our practice, there will be an adjustment (clunky) period.

Let us know here how you are doing in weeks to come. It can be helpful to many.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

Thanks for your reply and the encouragement. I will report back after few weeks or months about my progress.

I am grateful for these lessons and the knowledge that I am receiving from the forums.

Ram.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 13 2009 12:52:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  11:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

I came back to provide feedback as you requested. I had to completely stop meditation (all kinds) and even pranayama due to the over-sensitivity. Repeatedly trying different techniques or mantras did not help, but only caused more problems.

I am doing some basic asana practice now. I was advised by a teacher to get my body ready for other yoga practices, by taking up some asana practices initially. I was also advised to practice the karma and bakthi yoga without expectations or results. The daily asana practice has been helping really well over the past couple of months. I feel more balanced and calm now. Supported shoulder stand is especially helpful. I gradually increased it to 5 minutes twice a day over two months.

I understand that this may not be the path for every one. But it works for me now. I would love to meditate and do advanced yoga practices. But my several attempts over the years have clearly proved that I am over-sensitive and not ready for those practices.

Regards,
Shiva.

Regards,
Ram
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ram:

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you found an approach that is working for you. Later on, when you consider meditation again, it is suggested to review this lesson for sensitive meditators: http://www.aypsite.org/367.html

Wishing you all the best on your continuing path!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000