Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Twitching of the ears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Greetings!

I have noticed that when I am in deep meditative state and there are any sudden sounds (even very low volume), the ear that is closest to the sound source twitches involuntarily and I come out of the silent state. The twitch is intense if the sound is high frequency (like a sudden buzzing of an insect). I have also sometimes felt some movement inside my head - almost like a contraction in of one of the lobes of the brain on some of these occasions.

I developed tinnitus two years ago and doctors ruled out any medical issues through extensive tests (Brain /inner ear MRI, hearing tests etc). I have been following a regular morning/evening practice for the last two years.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ? Will appreciate any pointers.

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  12:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rishi,

I believe I read about somebody had tinkling feelings in their brain lobes.(Shanti might be able to refer you to the link. She knows what's where here.) The sounds in your ear might be the result of purification; at least it is the case with me, the releasing of disease (obstructions) might cause similar symptoms, or even intensify them for a while. But usually they will be gradually smoothed out and you'll feel much better. If the feeling gets too much, you can self pace a bit.
Also, you can do a search just to find if similar experiences were being reported and discussed here before. I just search "neck movement" and found some people had similar spinal movements, too. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  12:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it !
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  02:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rishi

Wecome to the club!

I have had to lay off my practice for more than a week , due to some radical symptoms in my neck, so i have to speak from memory. But, what started happening, after doing deep meditation all winter and then pranayama, was that, any time i was in a lowered brain-wave state (trance) i would hear some sort of popping noise in my ears. I found it difficult to figure out whether the noises were external or internal, until i finally saw the relation to trance and frequency of the occurrences. A friend of mine, who is also just doing DM has had similar experiences. I have also felt quite a few odd sensations in my head, as well as tightenings of my brain here and there...like you said, little contractions or minor cramping.

Hope you are feeling OK

Sincerely

Rael
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  9:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rael !

The little contractions of the brain that I feel seem similar to what you describe - tightenings of the brain here and there.

The ear twitching I experience is always due to external sounds. The sequence of events is that I first become aware of the twitch - which can occur in any one or both the ears.

If I take the cue from the twitching sensation (it is awfully difficult to ignore th sensation I must say)- I am eventually able to hear the actual sound as I come out of the meditative state.

More often than not the sound is so low that I would have ignored it in my usual non meditative state.

The twitching is not painful .. it is just distracting.

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000