Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Anesthesia and yoga practise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hi all,
A couple of days ago, I had a plastic surgery in which they applied general anesthesia to me. I still feel very numb and sleepy now. I can feel the negative effects of anesthesia on my yoga practice. I am wondering what should I do to "wake up" quicker. I hope the retarding effect won't be to much. I'm also curious if advanced yogis and yoginis can defy anesthesia, too:) Any input is welcome! Thanks!

For your reference, my routine is asanas 15mins (hasn't been resumed after the surgery); SBP 10min+DM 20min (in siddhasana) and samyama 5min. (I was experimenting to take on Yoni mudra kumbakha, but stopped because of the surgery.)

Phil

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  2:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not qualified to say, but it seems that after a day the anesthesia should have worn off. Did your surgeon say that you should expect to be numb for this long?
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, the surgeon said it should be mostly away after a day. And I'm doing OK in daily activities. But I do feel much less alert and vibrating and much more sleepy. And I'm not feeling as much in Ayp as I used to. This kind of state never had been since I had been doing AYP for a few months.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Philaboston

No, the surgeon said it should be mostly away after a day. And I'm doing OK in daily activities. But I do feel much less alert and vibrating and much more sleepy. And I'm not feeling as much in Ayp as I used to. This kind of state never had been since I had been doing AYP for a few months.

Yes, a general takes a while to wear off. Everytime I have had one it has left a bit of a lingering effect for several days.

It's quite all right to take time off when you are ill or drunk or both Just return to it when you feel rested. There is no need to wake up faster, take your time recuperate. You don't excercise when you are feeling a bit under the weather so apply that to DM.

Not sure about Yogis but those with a bit of training have managed quite comfortably with some hypnosis and lots use acupuncture with great results. My wife even advocated clitoral stimulation during child birth.

It's all about training really and Yogis can be trained exactly the same as anyone else. I'm all for a dirty great slug of Novacaine.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  4:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey karl and Scott, thanks for the tip!
I actually keep my regular ayp, except the asanas. But you are right, I should accept it as a natural recovering stage and be easy with it, just like accepting the thoughts emerging in DM.
I'm drinking tea now, and am feeling better.
But I am sure anesthesia is really Bad for yoga, because it is bad for the nervous system. It sort of deactivates the nervous system, and it takes a while to activate it...
I was so much used to the quiet, alert, and a bit blissful kind of state, that this seems a bit unbearable to me...and am longing for that blissful state so much....
Go to Top of Page

sunshine_83

USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Philaboston, you can use this time to appreciate how much you have achieved with your daily practices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000