Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 am i even doing this meditation thing right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

holomorphism

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  12:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i recently started the meditation here on ayp (before that i was doing my own asana/pranayama routine). when i "meditate" it feels like i'm literally just sitting, with my eyes closed saying "i am." essentially, i'm not getting any type of feedback from my body letting me know whether i'm doing this properly. is this how it felt for you guys at the beginning? i mean, it doesn't feel good or bad....it just feels like i'm sitting with my eyes closed, which i am lol. any suggestions?

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am presuming that maybe you are mechanically saying the mantra with clear pronunciation, not in a relaxed way. If that is the case say the mantra then just let go, forget it. When something pops into your head say it again. Keep doing that, and you will notice that your mind shuts up.

And when you say the mantra each time try and say it with less emphasise until it becomes like a distant idea. Fuzzy.

Just keep trying, but not trying hard! If you get my drift. Just persevere! It will slip into place eventually.

It is tricky trying to explain my experience with meditating, even after five years, When I look back my first sessions were chaotic! But I am really glad I persevered. I felt like that myself 'just sitting with my eyes closed' - keep going and you will be doing just that, but in another dimension with ecstatic bliss whirling every where inside.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holomorphism

Might be a good idea to review this lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/14.html

Love!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do what CarsonZi says! Much easier to understand than my ramblings!
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you're doing it exactly right. It is ridiculous, and even comical, how simple it is.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a passage in the Secrets of Wilder book that really helped me get my head around the idea of losing the mantra. It sometimes helps to see a rewording of the nevertheless excellent online lessons in order to appreciate some of the more subtle implications. I hope this does not violate Yogani's copyright by posting my own interpretation of it here!

Imagine the words I AM in your head. Don't try to visualise them, just think them. If this makes sense at all, don't think them "out loud", it's not important to hear the words inside your head or frame them vocally with your inner "voice".

As an analogy, imagine the words starting out big and slowly allow them to get smaller and smaller and smaller... If you allow it to happen it should occur naturally, without the need for any persuasion.

I AM I AM I AM I AM I AM I AM

Hope this helps, my friend.

Namaste

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In all honesty i think this is a case of "practice makes perfect"

i could be wrong of course but i think that is how it is for everyone when they begin meditation. i say stick with it, and if its for you at this time in your life, that you will see improvement!
Go to Top of Page

idiotegue

Czech Republic
12 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit idiotegue's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I must agree with everyone here . Just stick with what you're doing. Review the lesson, do not explicitly concentrate on 'I AM' just favor it when needed...be cool and honest and it'll come soon! I am sure about it!
Go to Top of Page

holomorphism

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the help everyone, your suggestions have helped me improve my meditation. i am sometimes able to get into a meditative state, but not always. your comments about losing the "i am" make sense when I'm in the meditative state, and in this state I feel a tingling sensation in my forehard/eyebrow area, so I guess something must be going right...even noticed my body swaying back and forth on its own...sounds like this is somewhat common from reading other posts.

however ,i def can't get into this state every time i try and meditate. when i dont get into this, its like i'm fully conscious, just with my eyes closed. i guess it just takes some practice to lose myself in the mantra...
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  7:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by idiotegue

I must agree with everyone here . Just stick with what you're doing. Review the lesson, do not explicitly concentrate on 'I AM' just favor it when needed...be cool and honest and it'll come soon! I am sure about it!

Nice to see you around, idiotegue . I'm back in Canterbury now, we must meet tomorrow as long as you're not slaving over some deadline. I'm sure we have a lot to discuss, and perhaps a quick go on the playstation (I brought it back from home)
Go to Top of Page

holomorphism

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  6:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so...it seems the few times i was able to "meditate" was probably because I was already tired...so i dont know if i'm mistaking tiredness/some quasi-sleep state for meditation...maybe, maybe not. just trying to rule out any biases...
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you are doing fine. The key is regular practice, being consistant and not worrying about results. It simply takes time. Your concern is just the first of many "resistances" that one goes through in this sort of practice.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  5:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by idiotegue

Hi idiotegue! A whole hearted welcome to the forums.
Have you been checking Satsang Cafe lately?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000