Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 beginner - doing pranayama/meditation correctly?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

holomorphism

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I just discovered yoga a couple of months ago, and started reading ayp a couple of weeks ago. I definitely feel like i'm making progress with my asanas...I'm getting better at them and definitely see physical improvements (though I don't know if there are any non-physical changes yet).

First, I guess I'll start with my questions regarding pranayama...then move on to meditation. In terms of pranayama, my "routine" is....Bhastrika (~5 min), Kapal Bhathi (~480 + 420), Bahaya/Agnisar, then Anulom Vilom (~8 min + 7 min). I usually do surya mudra with these. I seem to really have a problem doing bhastrika though...it just feels uncomfortable. The rest are fine... It doesn't feel like i'm doing it correctly (I was taught how to do this...didn't just read it up) and in general doesn't feel good. Any tips for doing this properly?

Now onto meditation...I don't even know if I'm doing this right. I can sit in the posture, try to concentrate, etc...doesn't mean I'm actually meditating. I think the closest I've gotten is only during savasana. Usually I just focus on different parts of my body and relax each one (i've been getting better at this definitely)...from there sometimes it seems my mind wanders though...just random thoughts/dreams (I hope I'm not falling asleep!). Also, I usually do these around 8 AM...dunno if doing earlier (recommended time of around 4 AM) would help...

Any guidance/encouragement would really be appreciated. I'm a beginner, and not really quite sure how to calibrate my practice

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and welcome :)

It seems you're not doing the AYP practices ( as described in the Main Lessons: http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html ). The forum is meant mainly as a support for the practitioners of AYP, so that's what you'll get the best advice about over here.

AYP doesn't have a big asana routine or pranayama routine at the beginning. The meditation procedure we're using in AYP is Deep Meditation, instructions here: http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
Later on, spinal breathing is added: http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

What you practice is up to you, however, your practice seems to be oriented mainly towards the energetic side (asanas, pranayama) so it would be good to add some form of meditation, to support the other and most important part of spiritual development -- stillness. You can use Deep Meditation for that.

If you're interested in a well-rounded routine of practice, I suggest reading the AYP lessons from the beginning & start practicing deep meditation: http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Enjoy :)
Go to Top of Page

holomorphism

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help. I am not particular to any specific type of routine...what I currently do is what I've been taught. I'm completely open to adopting and incorporating practices from ayp as well. Also, I'm curious as to what you mean my practice is oriented towards the energetic side? I'm not quite sure how to measure non physical progress. Physical progess is, obviously, quite easy to see...but what are the measurables in determining changes in other areas?

Aside from practicing, I've been trying to learn about the structure of yoga as a whole. So far it's just a bunch of facts here and there...I haven't completely synthesized everything yet.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga practices tend to be in two categories:
1/ practices that boost inner energies - pranayama, asanas, mudras, bandhas, tantra, etc.
2/ practices that boost inner silence - your presence in emptiness, in your true nature :) - meditation & related practices

So you should have these two basic aspects covered and balanced. In AYP, we begin with Deep Meditation and work on inner silence and then add Spinal Breathing Pranayama to work on the inner energies. Then there are more practices to boost and blend together these two aspects.

Yogani has a great book called Eight Limbs of Yoga - The Structure and Pacing of Self-Directed Spiritual Practice, if you're interested: http://www.aypsite.org/books-8limbs-contents.html ... He's been working at the synthesis you're talking about for quite some time :)

But afterall it's not much more difficult than just sit and meditate twice a day.

Take care :]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000